Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone, I just joined the forum and just picked up my MX last week (P90D). Last night I was driving and the AutoSteer was gray shaded out and did not allow me to put it into autopilot (I was on a major highway that should have been no problem) any thoughts? thanks

Thanks for the response. Single pull activated the cruise but could not activate the autopilot with double pull. The highway speed limit was 65 and I was going right around 65 when I tried it multiple times. When I went to controls/settings to see if I had something set up wrong that is where I saw the autosteer grayed out.

Another newbie autopilot question. Is there a way to turn off autopilot ( both tacc and auto steer) besides hitting brake pedal? Sometimes I want to take over without slowing down, I know I can gently hit brake, but I'd there any way to cancel from have control?

The only way currently is to move the steering wheel enough that the AutoSteering cancels.
you can push the stalk back and it will turn off, hit the break or turn the wheel. I haven't tried to push the stalk forward. As for the autosteer not coming on, i was reading the manual today about autopark and it noted the system needs to calibrate during the first 30 days so some items may not work. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Another question from a new owner - when I used AP in traffic coming home after delivery 2 days ago, everything worked great - until traffic cleared and there was open space. The car wanted to increase speed well above the speed limit, so I took over. I have it set at relative speed and to go 0 mph above the speed limit, but is there another setting I'm missing? I didn't get a chance to go on the highway yesterday, but will today to play with it more.

I used AP in traffic coming home after delivery 2 days ago, everything worked great - until traffic cleared and there was open space. The car wanted to increase speed well above the speed limit, so I took over. I have it set at relative speed and to go 0 mph above the speed limit,
Sounds like the car had an erroneous perception of what the speed limit was on the road at that time. AP isn't perfect, yet.

Most likely, being in heavy traffic, the Sign Reading failed to pickup a change of speed limits along the way. The OP probably didn't recognize this, as the car was being paced by the surrounding speed of traffic, not the speed limit. Once traffic cleared, TACC resumed to the last known Speed Limit. I happen to live in an area where the opposite is true. I leave in a 35MPH signed area. I then turn onto a highway that is 55 MPH, but there is no posted speed limit sign for about 1/2 mile. I can't engage AP before I get to the speed limit sign, because it says it is limited to the 35MPH posted speed limit, and of course I am driving faster than 35MPH. Once I get to the 55MPH sign, all is well. JMHO

Sounds like the car had an erroneous perception of what the speed limit was on the road at that time. AP isn't perfect, yet.

Most likely, being in heavy traffic, the Sign Reading failed to pickup a change of speed limits along the way. The OP probably didn't recognize this, as the car was being paced by the surrounding speed of traffic, not the speed limit. Once traffic cleared, TACC resumed to the last known Speed Limit. I happen to live in an area where the opposite is true. I leave in a 35MPH signed area. I then turn onto a highway that is 55 MPH, but there is no posted speed limit sign for about 1/2 mile. I can't engage AP before I get to the speed limit sign, because it says it is limited to the 35MPH posted speed limit, and of course I am driving faster than 35MPH. Once I get to the 55MPH sign, all is well. JMHO

The speed limit was the same the whole time, though I couldn't go 65 until the traffic cleared. I thought if I had it on relative speed, it would pace itself by surrounding traffic but no more than the setting of the speed limit offset (0 mph at the time). Is that incorrect?

@RKap, not sure what you mean. If the TACC was set to 65MPH, and with a car in front of you doing 55MPH, you will do 55MPH.. However, if the car in front changed lanes or was no longer present, you would increase to 65MPH, the speed set on TACC regardless of what the traffic on the other lanes was doing.

Sorry if I am not understanding your circumstances.

The speed limit was the same the whole time, though I couldn't go 65 until the traffic cleared. I thought if I had it on relative speed, it would pace itself by surrounding traffic but no more than the setting of the speed limit offset (0 mph at the time). Is that incorrect?

@RKap, not sure what you mean. If the TACC was set to 65MPH, and with a car in front of you doing 55MPH, you will do 55MPH.. However, if the car in front changed lanes or was no longer present, you would increase to 65MPH, the speed set on TACC regardless of what the traffic on the other lanes was doing.

Sorry if I am not understanding your circumstances.

I'm not explaining it well, I'm very new to this! My speed assist settings are set to "relative" for speed limit, with 0 offset from speed limit. When I was driving on the highway with a 65 mph speed limit, once traffic cleared, AP started increasing well above 65 and I don't know why.

I'm not explaining it well, I'm very new to this! My speed assist settings are set to "relative" for speed limit, with 0 offset from speed limit. When I was driving on the highway with a 65 mph speed limit, once traffic cleared, AP started increasing well above 65 and I don't know why.
The icon on the instrument cluster that turns blue to show when TACC is on, shows the speed TACC is set to. If this happens again, check that speed.
When you turn on TACC by pulling the cruise control lever towards the back of the car, it should set the cruise control speed to either the speed limit plus your offset or you actual speed, which ever is larger. If instead you turn on TACC by pushing the lever up or down, it will set the cruise speed to your present speed. Once TACC is already on, pushing the lever up or down increases or decreases the speed setting. Play around with these controls sometime when there isn't too much traffic to get familiar with how it works.

Reactions: RKap