Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One suggestion for all new owners using AP. Whenever you see an anomaly like what you guys are describing, spam tesla with it. Use:

[email protected]

For example. My wife noticed that our model S maintained the 45 mph speed limit of a local road after she merged onto a 65 mph highway when she tried to use AP (she had to push the accelerator). We emailed Tesla with this information. I included approximate times, dates, locations, etc... (I believe this helps them pulls the appropriate logs). Next time she went onto the highway at the same location AP had no problems.

Their response maybe generic ("We logged your complaint and forwarded it to your service center"), but they clearly are doing things in the back end. One occasion we actually got a call from the service center to bring the car in to check the camera for another issue.

So please spam them with your issues! Thanks!

The speed limit was the same the whole time, though I couldn't go 65 until the traffic cleared. I thought if I had it on relative speed, it would pace itself by surrounding traffic but no more than the setting of the speed limit offset (0 mph at the time). Is that incorrect?

No, if it was just resuming from prior activation based on actual cruising speed, then it will return to that speed and not the posted speed limit unless you instruct it to change. To override, pull the stalk once to alter the speed to the current speed or the posted speed, whichever is greater.

Reactions: RKap
I've just returned from a weekend trip, the first roadtrip in my 90D since I got it a little over a week ago. Even got to use a supercharger.

After a lot of convincing, my wife agreed to let us use auto-pilot and I did for maybe 90% of freeway travel on the way home successfully. (note: her brake foot still seemed to be active in the passenger seat as usual) But as a newbie I've got lots of questions and unfortunately had that 200 page manual printed out and bound in the trunk, not up front where I could get her to read it to me.

First, I don't like that increase/decrease speed goes by default in 5mph steps. Where can I change this to 1 or 2?

I'm embarrassed to say, I expected the car to follow the route active in the nav program, such as exiting via an off-ramp or following a branch choice ahead via the right path. I guess it does not do that. Is this planned?

When an idiot decided to pass me on the right and turn into my lane ahead of me; the side sensors did not seem to react and he cut-in a very short distance ahead (maybe 1 car length and we were at 70mph.). I'm not sure whether it was me or the pilot instantly slowing once it was in front of me. What is supposed to happen in such a situation?

We went through construction zones with row of orange barrels and a change to 55 mph speed limits on white signs. The pilot did not show anything different until passing the 2nd such sign. Noticed this several times. Should it have seen the first one, and will it ever slow you down automagically?

What is the sensing technique used at the steering wheel to decide if you have had hands off too long? Didn't seem like squeezing it, maybe slight resistance to rate of left/right lane float?

First, I don't like that increase/decrease speed goes by default in 5mph steps. Where can I change this to 1 or 2?
If you raise/lower the stalk lightly it raises/lowers the set speed by 1 mph. If you raise/lower the stalk firmly (enough to click), it raises/lowers the set speed to the next 5 mph.
I'm embarrassed to say, I expected the car to follow the route active in the nav program, such as exiting via an off-ramp or following a branch choice ahead via the right path. I guess it does not do that. Is this planned?
There is currently no linkage between Autopilot and the navigation system. Nothing has been announced, but it's a good bet it will come eventually.
We went through construction zones with row of orange barrels and a change to 55 mph speed limits on white signs. The pilot did not show anything different until passing the 2nd such sign. Noticed this several times. Should it have seen the first one, and will it ever slow you down automagically?
It is not 100% accurate at reading the speed limit signs. You have to recognize this yourself and adjust accordingly. In any case, the detected speed limit signs will not change the TACC set speed, unless Autosteer is currently active. In this case, it will reduce the set speed to the detected speed limit + 5 mph.
What is the sensing technique used at the steering wheel to decide if you have had hands off too long? Didn't seem like squeezing it, maybe slight resistance to rate of left/right lane float?
It only detect steering wheel torque.

When an idiot decided to pass me on the right and turn into my lane ahead of me; the side sensors did not seem to react and he cut-in a very short distance ahead (maybe 1 car length and we were at 70mph.). I'm not sure whether it was me or the pilot instantly slowing once it was in front of me. What is supposed to happen in such a situation?

AutoSteer is only concerned with lane markings that the camera can see and keeping the vehicle centered. TACC is concerned with vehicles that the radar can see. The car should immediately slow down to give the new vehicle some room, but not until the radar sees it and determines that the car is both in front of you, and not going faster than you (I've notice that when approaching a vehicle from behind, it will slow down faster for a car that is going slower, as opposed to a more gentle braking when coming up on someone that's only going a little slower than me. Note that auto steer will not try to swerve out of the way of someone cutting you off, or to avoid construction barrels. Radar likely won't see construction barrels either, and would run straight into them if you stayed in a lane that is temporarily closed. For speed limits, there again are two parts. First, is with just cruise control, when enabling the first time (or after coming to a complete stop, and probably some other "reset" triggers) it will default to the current speed limit + your delta in settings (mine is +3). After cruise and/or auto steer are enabled, it does not auto adjust to the speed limit. It just keeps its current setting. The conflating factor is that if you're not on a divided highway, auto steer is limited to speed limit + 5. so on the freeway, it won't slow down even if the speed limit drops to 50. If you're on say a rural road and it drops from 50 to 40, auto steer will then be limited to 45, and slow you down -- but be warned, if you turn off auto steer, but not TACC (say by turning the wheel), the car will then speed up to the set point, which is likely 50+.