Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Questions, Experiences, Problems, Concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new image and description on Tesla's website has me a tad worried...

"The Autopilot hardware package consists of a forward radar, 12 ultrasonic sensors that sense 16 feet around the car, a forward looking camera, and a high precision electric assist braking system."

There needs to be a rearward looking radar as well. A fast-moving motorcycle/car can very easily intrude on the 16 foot boundry if the Tesla is changing lanes.

Last edited:

"The Autopilot hardware package consists of a forward radar, 12 ultrasonic sensors that sense 16 feet around the car, a forward looking camera, and a high precision electric assist braking system."

There needs to be a rearward looking radar as well. A fast-moving motorcycle/car can very easily intrude on the 16 foot boundry if the Tesla is changing lanes.

yep i've said this many times. lack of a long range rear facing radar leaves you vulnerable to changing lanes right into a high speed rear collision.

I think the car is only checking the blind spot and immediate vicinity. The driver is still supposed to check their side mirrors and rear mirrors before initiating a lane change, just as you would regularly.

Maybe. It begs the question then... if autopilot (and it's multitude of interpretations) is not supposed to eliminate human interaction, and that human is still ultimately responsible for lane changes (which the autopilot image on the website certainly implies it will do), then why even have it? Why even tempt the human driver to take their hands off the wheel? Once you have a reason to take your hands off, you reduce reaction time if an emergency should arise and you tend to want to keep them off as long as you can.

Maybe it's because I've never been privvy to using such technology in a car (antilock brakes and traction control are the limits of my experience) that I am not understanding the "need" or even the "option" of autopilot until it is truely autonomous. I'm just trying to "get it".

Right. Kind of makes my point. Consider this scenario...

Model S on autopilot on the highway. Driver alert and paying attention still to his surroundings. Sees a fast moving vehicle coming up from behind. Model S, as it begins to close in on a car ahead decides to change lanes, right into the path of the oncoming speeder.

If the driver is driving him/her self, they know they are going to brake or change lanes depending on this scenario. But, the driver doesn't know what autopilot is going to decide to do until maybe it's too late and he doesn't have time to "take the responsibility" away from the car and avoid an accident.

Install rearward radar and this possible situation possibly doesn't occur. i understand the "it's a tool" and not designed to just be able to drive without any consequence. But, I still don't want my chop saw to decide when to cut (with all sorts of programming and sensors so it isn't chopping limbs/digits, etc.) without my input.

Now... the more cars that are on autopilot with other cars on autopilot, alot of these concerns go away as they can communicate with each other, won't be doing 110 in their hot-rod, etc.

Long way to go, I think. More than 3 months. Someone's gotta be first I suppose and lead the way.

Model S, as it begins to close in on a car ahead decides to change lanes, right into the path of the oncoming speeder.

Didn't read the rest, but, I'll point out that autopilot does NOT automatically change lanes. It will only change lanes in response to driver input to do so, otherwise it will stay behind the slower vehicle in front indefinitely. So, no issue here.

I see the light now... Looks like they have the verbiage now to go with the image showing the car changing lanes. I hadn't seen that until now when I went to grab the image off the Tesla site showing it changing lanes. So, only from driver input. OK.. I'm not worried anymore.. for whatever that's worth. :)

"Lane Changing

Automatically change lanes by tapping the turn signal."

Model S on autopilot on the highway. Driver alert and paying attention still to his surroundings. Sees a fast moving vehicle coming up from behind. Model S, as it begins to close in on a car ahead decides to change lanes, right into the path of the oncoming speeder.

If the driver is driving him/her self, they know they are going to brake or change lanes depending on this scenario. But, the driver doesn't know what autopilot is going to decide to do until maybe it's too late and he doesn't have time to "take the responsibility" away from the car and avoid an accident.

Install rearward radar and this possible situation possibly doesn't occur. i understand the "it's a tool" and not designed to just be able to drive without any consequence. But, I still don't want my chop saw to decide when to cut (with all sorts of programming and sensors so it isn't chopping limbs/digits, etc.) without my input.

Now... the more cars that are on autopilot with other cars on autopilot, alot of these concerns go away as they can communicate with each other, won't be doing 110 in their hot-rod, etc.

Long way to go, I think. More than 3 months. Someone's gotta be first I suppose and lead the way.

The high definition rear view camera can see straight back, and would certainly see this overtaking car. I don't know if Tesla is doing it, but AFAIK there's no reason they can't be doing object recognition against the rear view camera before changing lanes, and not change if there's someone a ways back with a significant closure rate.

Rear radar would be more certain and reach further, but I believe analyzing the camera image is more than adequate for safety.
Walter

The Autopilot system, as it's currently promised, won't change lanes on it's own. You have to initiate the lane change by pressing the turn signal-- and presumably by having made sure the lane is clear.

In some future model, maybe it will change lanes on it's own, but not as the Model S is presently configured.

I see the light now... Looks like they have the verbiage now to go with the image showing the car changing lanes. I hadn't seen that until now when I went to grab the image off the Tesla site showing it changing lanes. So, only from driver input. OK.. I'm not worried anymore.. for whatever that's worth. :)

"Lane Changing

Automatically change lanes by tapping the turn signal."

Yep. I got it. :cool: