Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to Autopilot and I have a question about what it can do.

I'm awaiting on my Model 3 without full self driving, just the standard in the car

1) When I go to work in the morning I take the freeway 90% of the way. On my exit, will the car take the exit or do I need to override it and go off?
2) While driving will the car slow down for traffic then speed up to the speed I was originally at when I launched Auto Pilot?
3) How does the Auto Pilot work during night time?

Thanks
Mike

1) No, only if you have FSD it will take the exit for you. If not, standard AP does not lane change or take exits/interchanges. Standard AP will only be a lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control. With FSD you get Navigate on Autopilot which does the fancier auto lane changes and route following on highways.

2) Yes, you set a target speed and the vehicle with will try to get to that speed. If there is another vehicle in front of you it will match the speed and follow at your set distance. Also if the lane adjacent to you is slowed down the vehicle will also reduce speed.

3) Fantastic, it may even work better at night since lanes are easier to see with the reflective markers on the pavement. I would not say there is a big difference, works great day or night.

Reactions: mdanieltech
1) When I go to work in the morning I take the freeway 90% of the way. On my exit, will the car take the exit or do I need to override it and go off?

You will need to disengage AP and take the exist manually. It will not do it automatically. That feature requires the full self-driving package.

2) While driving will the car slow down for traffic then speed up to the speed I was originally at when I launched Auto Pilot?

Yes. The car has adaptive cruise control as part of AP. So the car will follow the lead car. It will slow down to avoid hitting the lead car and accelerate back to a preset speed that you can adjust anytime.

Basically, the standard car gets adaptive cruise control and auto steer to stay in the lane. That's all it will do.

3) How does the Auto Pilot work during night time?

It works the same as during the day.