Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AUTOPILOT (Quick Reference)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being new to the EV world and expecting my Model 3 (APR-JUN 2018), I have been
gaining as much knowledge as possible about the Model 3 (Auto Pilot). I have compiled
a (Quick Reference) which I will keep in the car and view as needed.
If your new to EV World like myself, I hope this Quick Reference will be of help to you.
If your a OLD TIMER EV USER, please check my Quick Reference Info, and please let me know if
you find any of my info is incorrect.

Attachments

• 2018 (1-18-18) MY SUMMARY (Autopilot).pdf
    228.7 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: T-Will and DR61
Really nice writeup. One silly thing (misspelling: PARALLE)

Also note that AEB, Summon, and I believe FCW are not enabled on the Model 3 yet. Thus your "software" section is for Model S and Model X only.

For a model s anyway, exceeding 90 mph with autosteer doesn't actually cancel Autosteer -- it merely puts up the "Takeover Immediately" warning and alarms, but it will actually keep steering as best it can and until you finally take over. I've tested and confirmed this.

I suspect the same for when it senses construction zone or lane markings disappear or other situations where it loses confidence and encourages Take Over Immediately

Really nice writeup. One silly thing (misspelling: PARALLE)

Also note that AEB, Summon, and I believe FCW are not enabled on the Model 3 yet. Thus your "software" section is for Model S and Model X only.

Thanks for the reply. Good Catch (Parallel).
Did not realize and I have not read anywhere that EMERG BRAKING and FORWARD COLLISION WARNING is not active on the Model 3.

Question- Why would Tesla include these two items in the Model 3 owners manual if not Active?? I would think they should have left them out of the owners manual until the time they became active. Your Thoughts?

Doug

Another nice guide. I hope you plan on updating them. If so, i will definitely print and keep.

What would be nice is a bare bones 2 sided 5x7 reference card with this on 1 side and the charging on the other.

Thanks for the Reply. Trying to compile all important Info in one place for Quick Reference. Please let me know if you see any incorrect info so I can revise my summary.
Thanks,
Doug

Did all M3 owners received the latest firmware that enables FCW? Just took delivery of mine this morning and to my now surprise it's on 2017.48.30 with no "update" available.
Over the Air Updates are mysterious things. There is no rhyme nor reason for who gets them when. Just be patient. There is no way to force them (though many have tried). You can try to help decipher the mystery by watching and contributing to Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Over the Air Updates are mysterious things. There is no rhyme nor reason for who gets them when. Just be patient. There is no way to force them (though many have tried). You can try to help decipher the mystery by watching and contributing to Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App
Thanks - yes I’m aware of the ramdomness of the OTA from my model S days and went to check the FW website. What surprised me if that a month old firmware that is adding a significant safety feature was not installed by the SC prior to delivery. For OTA that are adding minor things or easter egg there is no rush, but activating emergency braking is a big deal...

I've a theory as to why SC didn't install latest firmware on Model 3...there's no WiFi* on Model 3 yet, so perhaps their normal way of getting the firmware into the car doesn't work with Model 3 yet. That is based on reports of cars connecting to SC WiFi and getting the newest firmware shortly afterwards. Without the WiFi connection, the mothership won't push. Once again, just a theory, no data to back it up.

*Yes, I've seen posts that claim the Wifi is there and works only at the SC...but I've confirmed on two separate occasions that my car didn't have WiFi while at the SC. Perhaps it depends on which SC?

Nice guide. Couple of additional pieces of feedback.

Starting speed for TACC / Autopilot is MAX(current speed, known speed limit+5mph, 45mph if unknown speed limit). If current speed > known speed limit+5mph or 45mph for unknown speed limit then autopilot speed limit is reduced accordingly.

Adjusting cruise speed is +/-1 mph for quick taps, 5 mph for each longer press

I have never managed to have turn exit work (.52)

Reactions: T-Will
Nice guide. Couple of additional pieces of feedback.

Starting speed for TACC / Autopilot is MAX(current speed, known speed limit+5mph, 45mph if unknown speed limit). If current speed > known speed limit+5mph or 45mph for unknown speed limit then autopilot speed limit is reduced accordingly.

Adjusting cruise speed is +/-1 mph for quick taps, 5 mph for each longer press

I have never managed to have turn exit work (.52)

Thanks for the reply Mike, Summary Updated & POSTED (2-15-18). I have the 45 MPH you referenced under (AUTOSTEER/SPEED CONTROL). I did not include it under TACC because the Model 3 Manual only refers to that under AUTOSTEER.
My Question, will this 45 mph limit be applicable if your not using AUTOSTEER and only using TACC???

Attachments

• 2018 (2-15-18) MY SUMMARY (Autopilot).pdf
    229.6 KB · Views: 108
Thanks for the reply Mike, Summary Updated & POSTED (2-15-18). I have the 45 MPH you referenced under (AUTOSTEER/SPEED CONTROL). I did not include it under TACC because the Model 3 Manual only refers to that under AUTOSTEER.
My Question, will this 45 mph limit be applicable if your not using AUTOSTEER and only using TACC???
The restriction is only on auto steer, yes. Sorry, hadn’t noticed this was in the auto steer section already for some reason

We have a Model S with Mobileye Autosteer, purchased about 3 years ago (1914 model?), and recently picked up our Model 3 (Vin...3008). The Autosteer does not function as well as that on the S, and I'm curious why. When the 3 wanders toward the edge of freeway lane, the corrections are more abrupt, and on many occasions the car wanders over the land divider. Cresting a slight rise on a flat road with or without curves has been an issue for the S, but seems to be more of an issue for the 3.

Was Tesla deprived of the software used with Mobileye at the time of the divorce, and do the post-Mobileye S's suffer from the same issues as my 3?

Together with the lack of fingertip activation and cruise speed adjustment on the 3, the above issues make autosteer and cruisecontrol less convenient, and consequently less useful and I find myself using them less on the 3. A disappointment, when I was hoping that the post-Mobileye autosteer on the 3 would be improved over our S.

Can anyone explain?

• Informative