TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot refinements

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by tnt1971, Apr 12, 2016.

1. tnt1971

tnt1971 Member

I have had my Model S for a little over a month now. It is an 85D with autopilot, and I love it. The autopilot is my favorite feature as I drive home in traffic almost every day, and that is where I get the most benefit out of it so far (I have only taken one trip on the interstates to date.)

I have set the following distance setting to the max, but I still find the autopilot in traffic to be "clunky". Is there anything I can do to smooth it out even more? I also find that when traffic is moving it is a bit abrupt in the curves in the road (I only use it on the highway). I notice that when I drive it I can routinely get 50 or more less wh/mile on average. If I were taking a trip where I really needed the range, I think I would be afraid to use it for fear of having to stop more often.

2. BertL

BertL Active Member

#2 BertL, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    Earlier releases of Autopilot firmware IMHO were even more "clunky" in terms of MS ability to smoothy slow when the vehicle ahead is slower than you're traveling. A few drops ago, this became more refined for me, but as you say, still isn't perhaps as good as it could be. As to how much of that is programming vs the ability for the present radar hardware to see ahead, I can't say. As you've done, adjusting following distance is the only real thing you have to change, besides of course lowering the speed Autopilot is set at. If you are barreling along and MS finds slower traffic ahead, it won't start slowing until the point your radar picks it it up, which could mean MS has to be even more aggressive slowing itself than you may be seeing what's happening further ahead. IMHO it's sort of the nature of the beast and if you don't like it, you could take MS off Autopilot when you visually see the slowing, or even slow MS via the stalk (which is what I've upon occasion done), instead of letting Autopilot do it's own thing further ahead.

3. kort677

kort677 Active Member

but that would require thinking and taking responsibility, can't do it;) [/sarcasm]

• Funny x 1