TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot requires Tech Package or not?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by miimura, Oct 9, 2014.

1. miimura

miimura Active Member

Autopilot.jpg

The image above is from the Design Studio tonight, after the Unveil the D event.
    So, is the Tech Package required to get Autopilot features or not. It's not clear to me.
    Opinions? Official confirmations?

2. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

The way I read it, Autopilot is part of the Tech package.

3. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Yeah, looks like you need the tech package for autopilot.

4. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

"Active Safety" is listed as included. Is the Auto Pilot is more like lane control, auto changing lanes and road sign speed control?

5. DJung

DJung Member

what if you paid for the tech package before the price increase, and the car you have on order will have the sensors for it?
    I'm going to assume we get the autopilot update as well...

6. miimura

miimura Active Member

I just watched the USA Today interview that was conducted before the event. Elon said "So we are adding Autopilot to all cars". The Design Center definitely requires some re-wording to be more clear.

7. bradc

bradc Member

Reading the site and watching the interview, the sense I get is this:

The autopilot hardware is included standard (for free) in ALL cars starting 2 weeks ago. Autopilot is a Tesla brand name encompassing safety and convenience features.
    The autopilot safety features are enabled for everyone. This might include collision detection/avoidance and or lane departure warning.
    The autopilot convenience features are enabled only for those who purchase the tech package. This might include active cruise control, self-parking, or other semi-autonomous driving added via software in the future.

8. SCDrJ

SCDrJ Member

Agree with above.

The hardware has been (and I imagine will continue to be) included on all newly-produced cars. One could imagine a scenario where the car could be upgraded to autopilot (for a fee) if someone for some reason didn't order Tech. Basic safety will be included, other features for extra price (Tech)

Overall, the Tech package price went up, but autopilot, parking sensors and fog lights got rolled into it, so the value/$ is greater IMHO. I know some might disagree, but I really have to question why it's even an option at this point. Maybe on the 60, but truly, how many cars are getting ordered without it?

9. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

For sure. I was on the fence for tech before but now there's way too much too pass it up, with Autopilot and fog lamps included, plus no extra cost for the parking sensors, it's like the price went down, not up.

85D with tech looks like the best bang for the buck to me. If that's out of price range, 60D isn't a bad option either!

10. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Agree. If you aren't into serious speed, the 85D with Tech (and Pano) is the car to buy. I need to start saving pennies. :)
    Walter

11. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

I have a non-tech S85 that was built just about three weeks ago. I have all of the sensors and my car has functioning lane detection, parking sensors, and speed limit sensing. I did not order parking sensors.

12. Ulti-Erik

Ulti-Erik New Member

I'd love to see pictures of the sensors, I want to get an impression of whether retrofit would be an option for Tesla to develop. I'm sure it needs additional work, but it's unclear how it would compare to a trade in.

13. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

I drove an MB S-class today with their version of many of the driver assist features. Admittedly know nothing about Tesla's implementation, but these features certainly take some getting used to. I found the auto braking and lane discipline (whatever MB calls it) slightly frigtening in traffic. All this even though I am used to flying turbine aircraft with all the gizmos they provide these days.

14. miimura

miimura Active Member

It's not just about the sensors, but the actuators and the additional computers and communication to smoothly integrate all of it. Remember, the car now needs to be able to turn the steering wheel and push on the brakes. I'm pretty sure the vacuum brake booster and vacuum pump are gone, replaced with an electrical actuator/booster.

15. R²B

R²B All Star

I just got off the phone with my DS. Had to cancel my order and reorder with the "new" tech package in order to get the Autopilot features. Apparently the old (as in yesterday) tech package would have only provided me the lane departure and speed assist, no Autopilot. Glad I called...

Edit: The new order just went through and it specifically says "Tech Package with Autopilot" on the summary sheet.

16. techiesjc

techiesjc Member

Actually, you would be able to add the "SW" later... I confirmed this with my OA this morning...

Autopilot HW is now STANDARD on all Model S series

The blog also is pretty clear...

Good you "added" the SW now - but just as an FYI.

17. R²B

R²B All Star

This whole thing is a garbled mess. She adamantly confirmed that my P85, due for production and delivery next month, which included the original tech package + parking sensors + fog lamps WOULD NOT have included Autopilot. It would have only included lane departure and speed assist. She told me if I wanted to compatible with the Autopilot SW upgrade coming later that I would need to modify my order and add the "new" tech package.

18. techiesjc

techiesjc Member

I agree it is a mess! My OA is providing more details in an email shortly that I will post. I just hung up with him again and he told me that she is technically correct - however there will be an upgrade for ALL Model S equipped cars. I think they are just running in so many different directions they don't know which end is up! I do believe that YOU MADE the right decision no matter what! I am more asking for people that are taking delivery with loaded P85s or P85+s and want to confirm.

19. KennyB-FLL

KennyB-FLL Member

Fort Lauderdale, FL and Rehoboth Beach, DE
    I too just made the change. I called the sales department in CA after my DS informed me that the Tech Package on my current order will not include the Autopilot software upgrade. He said I'd have to place a new order with the current pricing structure. Lucky for me my VIN had not yet been assigned. Plenty of time to make the change. The biggest downside to this is that the wait starts from the beginning. Delivery won't be until some time in February. Original delivery was scheduled for mid-December.

20. techiesjc

techiesjc Member

Wow way too much mis-information... ALL Model S cars since 9/18 are leaving the factory with all the required Hardware for Autopilot "ALL CARS" period... I have talked with the regional OA director here in the Bay Area and the data folks are getting is about "the software" and only that... Yes there may be a fee to activate the hardware installed on all the cars beyond Lane Depature and Speed Warning, however it will only be a software activation cost. In the discussion today, that software may not be available until after the New Year - but the cars are being built to be Autopilot. Even the feature in the Tech Package states "Autopilot software updates" and nothing more.

So so the only thing you have done is most likely saved some money on the upgrade. I have a written confirmation from my DS, OA and the OA Dir. That my VIN has the required hardware and will be ready for the software when it is ready. They don't know the cost yet...

I sure hope this helps...