Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot restrictions gone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just realized a few days ago that autopilot is no longer limited to 5 mph over the posted speed limit on non-divided highways.

I've been playing with it and there's no limit at what I can set it to regardless of road type.

Anyone else noticw this on their vehicles? I can't say for sure it was part of the latest firmware upgrade since I just noticed a week ago.

I just realized a few days ago that autopilot is no longer limited to 5 mph over the posted speed limit on non-divided highways.

I've been playing with it and there's no limit at what I can set it to regardless of road type.

Anyone else noticw this on their vehicles? I can't say for sure it was part of the latest firmware upgrade since I just noticed a week ago.

I'm still limited on v. 2.32.23. What version are you on?

I can engage AP while stopped behind someone in traffic if you want. That's nice at lights.

When not behind a car, my AP won't engage until 18mph. Not sure why this is the number they picked?

Yes, I've noticed a few odd numbers like that. But not so suspiciously the numbers always seem to be Americanized conversions from rational metric numbers.

depends which way you do the conversion, due to rounding.

going from miles to km: 18 mph = 28.97 kph
going from km to miles: 30 kph = 18.64 mph

If the car is allowing AP at 30kph, then it's going to appear as 18 mph or 19 mph on the speedometer, depending on how the car rounds the figure displayed.

I can engage AP while stopped behind someone in traffic if you want. That's nice at lights.

When not behind a car, my AP won't engage until 18mph. Not sure why this is the number they picked?

I think it is related to the algorithm for recognizing lane lines.

I don't know if you've noticed, but below that speed, mine is always in "follow the leader" mode (car ahead marked blue, the Tesla follows the other car wherever it goes) while above that speed it is usually following lane lines (lane marked blue on one or both sides, car ahead marked white,) though occasionally it loses the lines and reverts to following cars.

I was actually amused by this transition - a couple times I've been places where it had to bounce between the two modes - and the car in front was ~6" to the left of center in the lane. AP centered itself behind the car, then corrected to be centered in the lane, then back to centered on the car, etc.