Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot rolling out to all AP2 HW cars today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my Model S 75d 3rd week of Dec. Enjoying the vehicle thoroughly. Anxiously waiting the autopilot HW2 unveiling. Was this process (shadow mode first, speed reduction for auto steering, be careful warning tweets, etc) similar to the rollout for HW1 version 7.0??

I think many of us have been giving him good data. Let's hope. I still don't think it's Hwy 17 ready; it never was on AP1, and this was not meant to exceed that.

Definitely trying to! I have done close to 1,000 km since getting the 2.52.36 "shadow" release. That included heavy snow, heavy rain, lots of nighttime, lots of twisty mountain roads!

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo
Picked up my Model S 75d 3rd week of Dec. Enjoying the vehicle thoroughly. Anxiously waiting the autopilot HW2 unveiling. Was this process (shadow mode first, speed reduction for auto steering, be careful warning tweets, etc) similar to the rollout for HW1 version 7.0??

Yes and no. AP1 came out came out in pieces over several months, with lots of refinement after that over multiple release. We believe that Tesla released Automatic Emergency Braking in shadow mode first, but never talked about shadow mode for AutoSteer.

Definitely trying to! I have done close to 1,000 km since getting the 2.52.36 "shadow" release. That included heavy snow, heavy rain, lots of nighttime, lots of twisty mountain roads!
Similar to me (but I needed a road trip to reach a wiff of snow), but I dare say that's more useful for the data I think they are collecting for future more advanced versions of software, since AP1 parity is not supposed to handle that set (mountains & snow) just yet. I like sending in my samples nevertheless.

I've come to realize that I drive different for every 10 minute difference of time of day (animals, traffic, reinforced commonalities among usual time slot companions, lighting, temperatures, construction activities, enforcement schedules, etc.), every state of my physical acuity and scheduled time of appointments compared to alloted time to accomplish distance, and every precipitation, environmental, weather and vegetation state (including ground saturation, time to spur mudslides, etc.). The AI has to sift through and/or learn a lot. That's millions of combinations right there, before even starting my drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
The only time I would use Auto Steer is on the highway. What highway do you know that has a 45mph limit? Around here 65mph is the posted limit so it will still be useless to me.

Although I certainly see your point and don't disagree, they have to start somewhere. On one hand we can say "why doesn't Tesla do all of the necessary testing before releasing it to the public?" On the other hand, in my opinion, they release it to the public because we put exponentially more miles of testing in hundreds of different scenarios in a matter of weeks than what a handful of Tesla employees could do in a year.

We are all pretty much Tesla "beta testers". But I think that's a good thing, I don't know of any other car company that advances their tech even remotely close to as fast as Tesla does. I've owned numerous Mercedes over the years, which are widely recognized as one of the leading innovators in the auto industry. Certainly they are more "refined" but the updates and features come much, much slower. Sometimes spanning several model years, not just a few months. And, as a Mercedes owner, I can tell you something as relatively simple as automatic cruise control (which has been out for 15 yrs or so) is not up to par with Tesla's TACC. My old Mercedes spent collectively a few months in service trying to chase down a problem with the cruise control suddenly slamming on the brakes on an empty highway with nothing around. Finally the engineers thru their hands in the air and said, "sorry, we just don't know what else we can do". Even my latest Mercedes will still slam on the brakes in certain situations that it shouldn't, such as overtaking trucks in a different lane around a corner. I put about 9,000 miles on AP1 Tesla's since December and not one time had the cruise react that way.

Be patient, this, too, shall pass. :)

Reactions: MTOman and aja2460