Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot rolling out to all AP2 HW cars today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I still think the whole thing has been a bait and switch. I test drove the AP1.0 Model X in June, and based on how smooth and well the system handled the road I purchased. Now with the software finally running in Beta mode, I can echo all the other experiences. The lines designating the road jiggle all over the place, cars pop in and out of existence on the dash. What is scary is that the car behaves the same way in autopilot mode with the wheel turning wildly and tending to hug the right side of the lane; it almost swerved into the right lane and nearly hit a bus; I forcefully took over immediately. I don't trust the software AT ALL. I think its ridiculous that Im the beta tester for this. This is rushed, faulty software and is no where near ready ; never mind they can't seem to program automatic windshield wipers or autodimming headlights. Im in the queue to have Tesla buy this thing back. Already cancelled my Model 3 and power wall deposits.

As an AP1 owner I don't think you would have been all that content with AP1. Instead of those issues you'd have complaints about the blindspot monitoring not working, and you'd have complaints about it suddenly shifting over when going over a hill. You might even have a few truck lust events.

You wouldn't be satisfied with Summons, or Autopark either.

So your long term experience would mirror that of mine. Where I like the car, but AP leaves me wanting.

Your short term experience with AP2 has been horrible, and I can certainly understand your frustration. They had to make a major change, and they put a lot of the pain of that on the customer.

But, Tesla will get these issues with AP2 straightened out. The underlining hardware, and sensors is pretty nifty. All the pieces are in place, and it's just a matter of software.

Software in todays world always seems to lag so darn long.

I strongly feel if you give them 6 months that you'll be happy with the results. If you can't deal with that then have them take it back, and get something else like a Volvo. It won't evolve, but it will do what it does on the Test drive. Volvo has some pretty nifty stuff as well.

Last edited:
Yeah yeah yeah, I didn't sign up to be a beta tester, when I ordered my car AP 1.0 was not in beta, they demonstrate all the features, and when they delivered my car none of them worked.

Again, I understand the frustration. Tesla may have handled the whole HW2 communication the wrong way. However, they must have told you that you were getting a car with new hardware and that the features would only be enabled in December (which was Tesla's original timing). You agreed to buy knowing this information.

It might be too much to ask based on your comments, but give Tesla a bit of time to polish things out and you most likely won't regret having the new hardware compared to AP1:). Elon promised updates every 2 to 4 weeks, so expect your car to rapidly get better. If you don't want to cop with the wait, you might try to return the car and get a CPO AP1

Edit : Also, I believe AP1 was always referred as Beta.

Last edited:
. However, they must have told you that you were getting a car with new hardware and that the features would only be enabled in December (which was Tesla's original timing). You agreed to buy knowing this information.

It and get a CPO AP1
Absolutely wrong, you are making assumptions that are not fact. Clearly the people defending this crap online also are making assumptions. No one ever told me they were switching my hardware, or that none of it would work.

Absolutely wrong, you are making assumptions that are not fact. Clearly the people defending this crap online also are making assumptions. No one ever told me they were switching my hardware, or that none of it would work.

My question then is the following : when did you oder ? If you ordered before the HW2 reveal, they should have told you about the switch since you should have accepted to pay extra for EAP. If you ordered AFTER, it was clearly written under EAP description that features would only be rolled out in december. What they should have said is that some of the features would start getting rolled out in December and incrementally get to parity and then better.

I ordered in Jul before any reveal. I asked them to give me p100d for extra cost when that was revealed. They did, my original order says AP not eap. They changed hw WITHOUT telling me. AND DID NOT tell me that my AP features wouldn't work at all until the day of delivery Dec 23. At that time they quoted Elons infamous tweet that it would be operational by dec 31

I guarantee you an AP1 owner would gladly swap cars with you and make you whole in the process.

Telling you how fortunate you are to get AP2 compared to the people who just missed the cut off would be pointless and go over your head.

Elon should refund you and blacklist you from additional Tesla's.

Just make a post saying you want to make a trade and your inbox will crash.

Somehow I also bet you won't, you will just keep the car and perpetually whine and itch forever.

The true irony is when the next generation X comes out and you are going to complain that yours is obsolete, why didn't Tesla warn me something better was coming. Bla bla bla

• Disagree
Reactions: kavyboy and EinSV

I am in the same boat as you, I placed my order for my X and S right before the announcement. I am rather annoyed with the lack of promised features that where there and working on the loaners when I bought the car and even more with the lack of safety features that where promised by Dec (there was no we expect on the safety stuff). But I also don't want them to rush new untested code out to a car that moves my family around. More then that I wish they would concentrate on the safety features first (lane minder, side warnings etc etc) over the AP which I would love to have, but at the moment does not help on the safety side of things.

BS, u are inventing crap to cover your bad decisions (perhaps u have stock options or something). Please god I hope the arrogant pricks in Palo Alto blacklist me after giving me a refund, as I said I canceled my 3 preorder and the power wall. I think Elon suffers from sort of mental illness and this whole tesla enterprise will crash if they continue deceiving people. I hear Elon has a tunnel to build somewhere . The fact that there is even a blacklist shows this company is not ready to mass produce vehicles.

I am in the same boat as you, I placed my order for my X and S right before the announcement. I am rather annoyed with the lack of promised features that where there and working on the loaners when I bought the car and even more with the lack of safety features that where promised by Dec (there was no we expect on the safety stuff). But I also don't want them to rush new untested code out to a car that moves my family around. More then that I wish they would concentrate on the safety features first (lane minder, side warnings etc etc) over the AP which I would love to have, but at the moment does not help on the safety side of things.

Yep, it's the lane change assist, side collision, rain sensing wipers and headlight safety features being missing that piss me off too. Never mind paying for things that aren't there.

To Mr Wings point about trading, I don't want someone else's used vehicle, but if someone wants to buy out and take over this leased p100d with only 600 miles please send offers, my down payment was 5k

BS, u are inventing crap to cover your bad decisions (perhaps u have stock options or something). Please god I hope the arrogant pricks in Palo Alto blacklist me after giving me a refund, as I said I canceled my 3 preorder and the power wall. I think Elon suffers from sort of mental illness and this whole tesla enterprise will crash if they continue deceiving people. I hear Elon has a tunnel to build somewhere . The fact that there is even a blacklist shows this company is not ready to mass produce vehicles.

I suggest you take a chill pill.

In the end, it is just a delay, no need to go ballistic. You either wait and enjoy the most technologically advanced vehicule on the road. The features you crave for WILL be implemented soon. Or you trade up for an AP1 car. Or you just sell yours and go see if you get anything close with other brands.

I guarantee you an AP1 owner would gladly swap cars with you and make you whole in the process.

As a Model S owner with AP1 on software version 7.1...

There is NOTHING that will prompt me to swap to an AP2 car or v8 software. I have the last of the useful Teslas that actually work as advertised.

Everything since 7.1 has been one trainwreck after another. I do not believe AP2 will ever match, let alone surpass, AP1. Tesla has jumped the shark.

Chill pill, seriously? After shelling out 160k for a car that doesn't do any of the things promised in a written contract, you fanboys are living in some alternative universe. I bought a car not a freakin religion. Praise be to E-on may he grant me new features in the morning. This business model is total bs

Honestly, I do have sympathy now that you mentioned it was a lease.

I can understand going into a 3 year lease and being upset that Tesla takes 6 months or possibly more to get the experience that you were expecting.

It's not advertised by Tesla but I really recommend against leases because people like you can be caught in the middle when sweeping changes are made. If your time horizon was 5 years plus like me on the same car I'm willing to put up with less functionality now for better functionality in the future.

No one tried to screw you on purpose. I hope you can find a solution that minimizes your losses.

Also, you didn't pay 160k for the car, you are just paying the depreciation and some money to Tesla. If they backed out the autopilot and fsdc you wouldn't save much monthly. Better in this stage to buy and hold, live without AP2 or swing for a functional AP1 car.

Some aspects of Tesla ownership is crazy but since they are so hot (crazyhot matrix) we put up with it.

Last edited:
Chill pill, seriously? After shelling out 160k for a car that doesn't do any of the things promised in a written contract, you fanboys are living in some alternative universe. I bought a car not a freakin religion. Praise be to E-on may he grant me new features in the morning. This business model is total bs
I'm not as upset as you are with my HW2 X. But that doesn't mean I don't understand your complaints. The software is late and pretty sketchy. Anecdotal evidence that it has yet to terrify a particular driver is not a particularly high standard of success.

For sure some of us are more patient about riding the wave, and I bet a lot of the patience comes from extensive forum reading and an excitement about the tech's (alleged) future.

I don't know if I'd say the sales team is dishonest or duplicitous. But the sales team is under pressure to make sales. I'm guessing hardly any of them live with a car day-to-day, and only a handful more are as vigilant readers of forums as people here. I don't think they are trying to screw anyone. I just think they don't have a clue. And this will lead to understandably pissed off customers like you.

And let's be realistic: EAP right now is matched by other automakers. It is technologically behind as a driver's assistance package. HW2 is crippling cars from having features available for years in cars 1/5 the cost: auto-wipers and blind-spot detection, e.g.

I've never spent this much on a car, and Tesla needs to deliver on what it has promised current owners. This isn't about the "major upgrades". It's about the mirage of "major upgrades".

(I still like my car! But I hear the complaints and as time goes by...)

I leased my P85D and didn't have AP for nearly 10 months of the 2 years I owned it. I guess I knew what I was getting in to and enjoyed the rest of the car enough to not blow a gasket over the lack of "promised features" for the first part of my ownership. Admittedly, I'm also probably a forgiving Tesla fanboy as well but when we finally got AP it felt like Christmas and like a whole new car.

I get that your pissed about your leasing experience. I don't fully understand how you didn't know that these features wouldn't necessarily be available day 1 but I may have missed that. I guess I don't agree with your tone but hey, we are all entitled to talk how we choose I suppose...

The Tesla business model is certainly not without flaws - but I will take this over my previous experiences with other brands any day.

• Helpful
Reactions: brianman
I'm not as upset as you are with my HW2 X. But that doesn't mean I don't understand your complaints. The software is late and pretty sketchy. Anecdotal evidence that it has yet to terrify a particular driver is not a particularly high standard of success.

For sure some of us are more patient about riding the wave, and I bet a lot of the patience comes from extensive forum reading and an excitement about the tech's (alleged) future.

I don't know if I'd say the sales team is dishonest or duplicitous. But the sales team is under pressure to make sales. I'm guessing hardly any of them live with a car day-to-day, and only a handful more are as vigilant readers of forums as people here. I don't think they are trying to screw anyone. I just think they don't have a clue. And this will lead to understandably pissed off customers like you.

And let's be realistic: EAP right now is matched by other automakers. It is technologically behind as a driver's assistance package. HW2 is crippling cars from having features available for years in cars 1/5 the cost: auto-wipers and blind-spot detection, e.g.

I've never spent this much on a car, and Tesla needs to deliver on what it has promised current owners. This isn't about the "major upgrades". It's about the mirage of "major upgrades".

(I still like my car! But I hear the complaints and as time goes by...)

I am certain the sales people are kept in the dark. There is no benefit to tell them anything. It either leaks confidential data, cost sales, create message inconsistencies and at worst creates moral dilemmas. I couldn't be the sales guy that lies to families making one of the biggest purchases of their lives if I'm asked direct questions regarding timing of purchases.

None of us can ask the CTO what the road map is and we can't hold it against them for saying
"Will neither confirm nor deny".

My chill pill remark was based on the tone of your previous message.

As you can see in my previous replies, I understand your frustration, I even said that Tesla could / should have communicated better. Being more patient because some of us believe it'll be worth it doesn't mean that we are hard-core fanboys willing to let everything slide. It's just a different mindset I guess, or the circumstances (lease). I hope a quick update will ease your pain, or that you'll find someone to swap your lease with.

Reactions: MXWing
I am certain the sales people are kept in the dark. There is no benefit to tell them anything. It either leaks confidential data, cost sales, create message inconsistencies and at worst creates moral dilemmas. I couldn't be the sales guy that lies to families making one of the biggest purchases of their lives if I'm asked direct questions regarding timing of purchases.

None of us can ask the CTO what the road map is and we can't hold it against them for saying
"Will neither confirm nor deny".
I am for sure that they're in the dark about future product changes and timelines. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that. I was after a different point.

Namely, I think it is important to appreciate the difference between Tesla enthusiasts/addicts (us! us! us!) and the salespeople -- in terms of curiosity, knowledge, and motivation. And further we should be mindful of how these differences can play out with pre-purchase expectation and post-purchase satisfaction.

Reactions: MXWing
Did you read the message that popped up when you enabled Autosteer? The behavior describing matches the description there, IMO, and the recommendation in that message makes it clear, IMO, that (based on the rest of your post) isn't something you should have turned on.

But did you read his post? He isn't mad that the description does not describe what it does. He is mad that both what it does and what it describes is so much worse than what he bought in June. And frankly, the path towards parity with AP1 is absolutely unclear. Maybe it drops tomorrow, maybe it limps on for another 6 months. At best he has some vague wording in the configurator, a few disconnected Elon tweets and maybe some soothing words from his service center/sales advisor which we all know are worth zero. This is AP1 all over again (and worse). So long for learning from your mistakes.