Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot rolling out to all AP2 HW cars today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please notify Tesla directly with any of these false-positive braking events!

[email protected]
I called Tesla service and reported the braking issue when it happened. My Service Center called me and said that they were reviewing my logs and looking into the false braking. I will be driving tomorrow back to Austin tomorrow and will use TACC to see if it happens again. Since I have not gotten a software upgrade, I will be ready for it as I go over over-passes.

Autosteer works for me here in Switzerland with 17.3.2. yet only on certain roads (divided HW) and only up to 70km/h. TACC runs up to 120 km/h. Sign recognition is not working, it is taking data from GPS I think, not accurate at all.

I finally had the update installed. I was out yesterday evening testing it. There were 2 occasions where a phantom car popped up which caused the system to break hard. I turned on the hazard light for a second to report the incidents. Would that be enough? Or should I email them to let them know as well? Other than that everything worked perfectly, other than the fact that I get nervous when other cars trying to squeeze in in front of me. I always had to disable the TACC just as a safety precaution. Let me know how you guys deal with this.

Reactions: brianman
I finally had the update installed. I was out yesterday evening testing it. There were 2 occasions where a phantom car popped up which caused the system to break hard. I turned on the hazard light for a second to report the incidents. Would that be enough? Or should I email them to let them know as well? Other than that everything worked perfectly, other than the fact that I get nervous when other cars trying to squeeze in in front of me. I always had to disable the TACC just as a safety precaution. Let me know how you guys deal with this.

I would recommend that you e-mail Tesla service to let them know of your issues. My trip yesterday was over 500 miles and during my trip, there were 4 occasions where the the collision warning came on and the car braked. It braked for the following:
  • Going over an overpass with a slight elevation change
  • There was a interstate sign on the right
  • There was an interstate sign above the road
  • There was a bridge crossing the interstate about 16 feet above the road.
There were many other instances where the car braked but the collision warning did not come on.

The only way to deal with the braking issue is to either not use TACC and wait for a software update or use the TACC and accept the fact that the car will brake for phantom objects from time to time.

I would recommend that you e-mail Tesla service to let them know of your issues. My trip yesterday was over 500 miles and during my trip, there were 4 occasions where the the collision warning came on and the car braked. It braked for the following:
  • Going over an overpass with a slight elevation change
  • There was a interstate sign on the right
  • There was an interstate sign above the road
  • There was a bridge crossing the interstate about 16 feet above the road.
There were many other instances where the car braked but the collision warning did not come on.

The only way to deal with the braking issue is to either not use TACC and wait for a software update or use the TACC and accept the fact that the car will brake for phantom objects from time to time.
That's very interesting, it never occurred to me to look around for possible causes. I should take note of that for future occurrences. I'll definitely send them an email.
It's a dilemma for me. I definitely don't want to get into an accident while at the same time, I want to contribute to the system so we can get the full autopilot update sooner.

It's a dilemma for me. I definitely don't want to get into an accident while at the same time, I want to contribute to the system so we can get the full autopilot update sooner.

Honestly, it is not cool for Tesla to put you in that position. The AP2 rollout is clearly rushed. While it would have been better if Elon hadn't set the expected by date so aggressively, once they passed it they should've manned up and came clean that they aren't ready and postpone.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Honestly, it is not cool for Tesla to put you in that position. The AP2 rollout is clearly rushed. While it would have been better if Elon hadn't set the expected by date so aggressively, once they passed it they should've manned up and came clean that they aren't ready and postpone.
You are absolutely right. There's definitely an on-going miscommunication or deceiving (depends on how you look at it) to the loyal customers like us. But then again, Elon definitely did not expect it would be this tough to replace Mobileye's system. It was a good decision on his end though, it had to be done if you want the system to be streamlined. You definitely don't want to rely on another company to give you feedback when incidents occur (let's be honest, it will happen from time to time since it's a numbers game). I believe this is a great move on Elon's end for all current and future Tesla owners. Once he gets things sorted out (I'm sure eventually he will), it will be LENGENDARY. It definitely sucks to be a part of this slow process, but I'd like to believe our patience will be rewarded.

So I still think the whole thing has been a bait and switch. I test drove the AP1.0 Model X in June, and based on how smooth and well the system handled the road I purchased. Now with the software finally running in Beta mode, I can echo all the other experiences. The lines designating the road jiggle all over the place, cars pop in and out of existence on the dash. What is scary is that the car behaves the same way in autopilot mode with the wheel turning wildly and tending to hug the right side of the lane; it almost swerved into the right lane and nearly hit a bus; I forcefully took over immediately. I don't trust the software AT ALL. I think its ridiculous that Im the beta tester for this. This is rushed, faulty software and is no where near ready ; never mind they can't seem to program automatic windshield wipers or autodimming headlights. Im in the queue to have Tesla buy this thing back. Already cancelled my Model 3 and power wall deposits.

So I still think the whole thing has been a bait and switch. I test drove the AP1.0 Model X in June, and based on how smooth and well the system handled the road I purchased. Now with the software finally running in Beta mode, I can echo all the other experiences. The lines designating the road jiggle all over the place, cars pop in and out of existence on the dash. What is scary is that the car behaves the same way in autopilot mode with the wheel turning wildly and tending to hug the right side of the lane; it almost swerved into the right lane and nearly hit a bus; I forcefully took over immediately. I don't trust the software AT ALL. I think its ridiculous that Im the beta tester for this. This is rushed, faulty software and is no where near ready ; never mind they can't seem to program automatic windshield wipers or autodimming headlights. Im in the queue to have Tesla buy this thing back. Already cancelled my Model 3 and power wall deposits.
AP2 is doing fine for me, and I'm not canceling anything.

I think its ridiculous that Im the beta tester for this. This is rushed, faulty software and is no where near ready
Did you read the message that popped up when you enabled Autosteer? The behavior describing matches the description there, IMO, and the recommendation in that message makes it clear, IMO, that (based on the rest of your post) isn't something you should have turned on.

Reactions: MP3Mike
But when we ordered the car, the option for EAP said theat the software was expected to COMPLETE December '16. It didn't say we would be beta testers for the next 10 months or that hundreds of millions of miles of data was needed. How did they EXPECT to COMPLETE when that many miles were needed to test? I think there are like 24k hw2 cars. Not sure. But if so, that's 10,000 miles needed per car! They expected that to all happen in December??

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I really like this idea. It's both a clue for folks around you on the road AND a data point in the logs for Tesla to zero in on the time of the incident.

I'm going to have to keep this and other tagging like "open the sunroof" in mind in the future.

Interesting indeed, I will keep this in mind to make more accurate report. Thanks for the tip.

I understand the frustration, and yes they did a poor job communicating what exactly we should have expected by december. However, when you activated the feature, everything was clearly laid out and it was clearly not something you should have activated based on your comment. They are behind on schedule, but you will still end up driving the most cutting edge car on the road.

Yeah yeah yeah, I didn't sign up to be a beta tester, when I ordered my car AP 1.0 was not in beta, they demonstrate all the features, and when they delivered my car none of them worked. Now only two of them partially worked, my point is despite my agreeing to the "notification" that it's beta, doesn't prevent me from being massively disappointed and pointing out that it is dangerous to use. It is absolutely nothing like what was demonstrated by the sales person and confirmed as ordered on my vehicle. I would gladly take a brand-new P 100 D with a fully functional AP 1.0. I'm not interested in waiting some indeterminate period of time to have the "most advanced car on the road" someday