Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Safety/Convenience Features Disable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just noticed something, that I don’t think makes any sense figured maybe someone here could explain the reasoning..

TLDR; Why does Tesla disables it’s “safety” features after they’re ignored a few times; isn’t that unsafe?

Being in NYC there are a ton of potholes even on the highways; So to avoid the ones I’m aware of, I’ll hug either side of the lane without departing that lane which activates lane departure warning and sometimes steering correction, which is expected and I’m glad that it works.. No Autopilot features are activated in this case as I’m aware of the upcoming pothole or danger and I’m in full control of the car.

However; if you do this a few times (haven’t counted the amount probably 3) the car disables it entirely in the same manner it would disable autopilot features if you ignore the nag.. All other autopilot features are still enabled.

As I write this I guess I’m wondering what is Tesla’s reasoning behind disabling safety features that are being ignored; if it’s assumed that the driver is tired and is drifting from the lane a few times, isn’t disabling these “safety” considered unsafe.

This driver who is assumed to be tired or whatever the reasoning is will drift into another lane without any intervention from the car to prevent this and possibly crash into another car and or the median..

Anyway Thoughts?

Are you saying that if you cause lane departure avoidance to activate a few times while manually driving it just turns itself off? But doesn't seem to affect anything else? Kind of reasonable I guess, if you're going to be avoiding potholes for an entire trip. But not something I've heard of before.

Are you saying that if you cause lane departure avoidance to activate a few times while manually driving it just turns itself off? But doesn't seem to affect anything else? Kind of reasonable I guess, if you're going to be avoiding potholes for an entire trip. But not something I've heard of before.

Correct, I guess that’s another way of thinking about it; maybe it knows that I’m purposely doing it so it deactivates; but the message doesn’t go away until the next drive.. I’m just assuming let’s say I wasn’t do it purposely deactivating it doesn’t make sense, to me at least.

I’ve also never heard of this or experienced it, but perhaps it makes sense to disable if the driver keeps manually overriding non-AP lane correction. If you’re actually asleep and drifting, I’m guessing it wouldn’t be sensing your resistance on the wheel, so after a few times it’ll assume it’s detecting and activating said safety features incorrectly and will stop fighting you. If I’m understanding you correctly, that would be my guess at the logic behind “disabling until next drive”.

I’ve also never heard of this or experienced it, but perhaps it makes sense to disable if the driver keeps manually overriding non-AP lane correction. If you’re actually asleep and drifting, I’m guessing it wouldn’t be sensing your resistance on the wheel, so after a few times it’ll assume it’s detecting and activating said safety features incorrectly and will stop fighting you. If I’m understanding you correctly, that would be my guess at the logic behind “disabling until next drive”.

It would be great if it functioned this way but it doesn’t, once disabled, that’s it, and I also don’t think it’s sensing me overriding controls I believe it follows the same “punishment” model when the “nag” is ignored.

I don’t think any “safety” features should be disabled automatically period.