Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Safety/Convenience Features Disable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was put into Autopilot jail on Friday. I must have been inattentive, but it felt harsh. All sorts of features were disabled with regen breaking being the most worrisome, as the car loses efficiency and braking needs to be hard. I didn't worry too much as I assumed when I parked it would reset. It didn't reset. It still hasn't after mulitple restarts/reboots of all types (except factory reset). Service booked for Friday. Does anyone have any comforting experience here - either a fix or that time will heal it!

AP jail doesn't effect regen braking. Are you sure you didn't change Regen Braking from Standard to Low in the Driving menu while trying to "get out of jail"? The only way to "get out of jail" is put the car in Park.

Thanks for replying. I didn't touch a thing in my settings: regen breaking, stability control, traction control etc all become disabled with multiple warnings at the moment I was put in Autopilot jail. Now the notifications of no regen breaking, stability/traction etc come on the moment I engage D or R. Auto Vehicle hol/emergency braking all disabled too.

AP jail only disables AP and doesn't disable other features, especially safety features. You may have a coincidental sensor malfunction or maybe that is also what put you in AP jail when the sensor failed.

A slight humor. In both post you use the word break and then brake.

I was put into Autopilot jail on Friday. I must have been inattentive, but it felt harsh. All sorts of features were disabled with regen breaking being the most worrisome, as the car loses efficiency and braking needs to be hard. I didn't worry too much as I assumed when I parked it would reset. It didn't reset. It still hasn't after mulitple restarts/reboots of all types (except factory reset). Service booked for Friday. Does anyone have any comforting experience here - either a fix or that time will heal it!
20210308_091929.jpg

David, I am going through the same problem and it is scary when it happens because I have lost enough acceleration to make left turns or turning at traffic lights a dangerous thing. I really think we have hardware issues and is a serious matter of defect as I have experienced this on more than 5 occasions. They could not duplicate my alerts on their diagnosis service and I took back my 2020 Model 3 only to experience it happening again after a week and a half of no problems. "I was put into Autopilot jail on Friday. I must have been inattentive, but it felt harsh. All sorts of features were disabled with regen breaking being the most worrisome, as the car loses efficiency and braking needs to be hard. I didn't worry too much as I assumed when I parked it would reset. It didn't reset. It still hasn't after mulitple restarts/reboots of all types (except factory reset). Service booked for Friday. Does anyone have any comforting experience here - either a fix or that time will heal it!"
20210304_192723.jpg

It's definitely something to demand attention to in regards of safety. I am frustrated out of my own fear of being clipped on the side for not having enoughac acceleration when I turn. I even had an instance of very heavy steering and a defected break pedal that pumped back towards my felt like it was scraping as I stepped on it. I had it towed only for them to tell me that they could not duplicate the alerts that I had took pictures of off of my display. I am now asserting that they should replace hardware. I am only at 8.5k miles. This is ridiculous.

My issue has been resolved at the Service Centre (excellent experience). I wasn’t in Autopilot jail (thanks to JulienW for putting me on the right track). I had a steering column sensor misalignment. I can see why this disables almost all of it, but regen breaking seems odd. Anyway it is back to working like a beaut! Though seeing all the X/Ss made gave me FOMO.

Reactions: JulienW