Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot saved our lives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my old E46 in Munich, so yeah, I've had cars blow by me driving in excess of 100mph, when traveling 65mph, and that 35+mph speed differential means that a car that intersects with your car, is probably about 170ft behind you and in this case two lanes over. That's 10 car lengths back and two lanes over. Of course there's traffic, because why would a car be overtaking on the far right. So, you're telling me, that you can see 10 car lengths behind you, and two lanes over, with traffic between you? I always turn my head, and my E46's mirrors cover my blindspot perfectly, and I know I wouldn't be able to see that car. Strangely, my Model 3 doesn't cover my blindspot completely, and I've had to put small concave mirrors to help.

hm yeah so we do this all the time in germany without problems. and 100mph isnt even that fast in germany.

hm yeah so we do this all the time in germany without problems. and 100mph isnt even that fast in germany.
As I used to work as an automotive manufacturing consultant in Europe, I've driven 10s of thousands of miles in Germany, and it's completely different there, where they have proper driver training and strict rules of the road. You'd never have an instance where a vehicle would be driving that fast in the right lane, overtaking vehicles on the right side. It's the proper respect for the rules of the road that makes high-speed driving relatively safe and common.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
Too much discussion of the price of Autopilot and whether to buy it or not.....Is it worth it? You bet. A recent trip south on I95 in VA had me in the left lane of a 3 lane stretch going 65 while on "Nav on AP" with cruise set at 70 in an AWD LR M3. The car suggests moving to the center lane, I acknowledge OK, the blinker goes on and the car moves toward the proper lane. Everything seems normal until the M3 pulls violently back to the left lane with such force that my wife's head hits the passenger window and I notice a Corvette had come from the far right lane and a few cars back and flies by me in the center lane. He/she was doing in excess of 100 and would have probably have hit us. I know I would never have seen him/her as he/she would have been in my blind spot. To me, Tesla cannot put too high a price on this technology.
Am glad everyone is OK - but you likely want to check the seat-belt tensioners on your vehicle post-haste.

I don't care how quickly you were going - or how one interprets the Autopilot response... your wife's head should never have hit the passenger window during the swerving manuever. Now if for some reason she wasn't wearing the seatbelt... yikes... no one could help in that situation.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
Am glad everyone is OK - but you likely want to check the seat-belt tensioners on your vehicle post-haste.

I don't care how quickly you were going - or how one interprets the Autopilot response... your wife's head should never have hit the passenger window during the swerving manuever. Now if for some reason she wasn't wearing the seatbelt... yikes... no one could help in that situation.
She's a conehead. Bumps it on things all the time.

All jokes aside, I hope she's okay!

As I used to work as an automotive manufacturing consultant in Europe, I've driven 10s of thousands of miles in Germany, and it's completely different there, where they have proper driver training and strict rules of the road. You'd never have an instance where a vehicle would be driving that fast in the right lane, overtaking vehicles on the right side. It's the proper respect for the rules of the road that makes high-speed driving relatively safe and common.

then other countries have to improve their driver training and get the tools off the road. simple as that.

it would also help if police would try to catch speedsters and pull people off the road for driving unsafe i.e. trailgating, hugging the centre lane, running red lights, holding up traffic, playing on their phone, cars which are clearly unsafe, heavily modified cars.

The stuff I see here in Australia you would never see in Europe/Germany.

The road rage compilation video I was just watching begs to differ. :D Point taken though, even the driver education requirements seem to be much less comprehensive here.