Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot seems useless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The nags lessened for me over time. First drive using AP, I felt the same as you. It "feels" like the car has learned since then, as I only get nagged rarely now. Using the trick to scroll the accelerate/decelerate wheel also keeps from accidentally disengaging AP.
I think the other far behind auto companies, their paid pundits and lobbyists, were sucessful in forcing Tesla to neuter this amazing software because they simply could not compete. Anyhow I appreciate that I am not the only one finding the current version not worth the extra money. Ill stick to the basic version for now.

• Funny
Reactions: E90alex
I think the other far behind auto companies, their paid pundits and lobbyists, were sucessful in forcing Tesla to neuter this amazing software because they simply could not compete. Anyhow I appreciate that I am not the only one finding the current version not worth the extra money. Ill stick to the basic version for now.
No. No one has "forced" Tesla to neuter anything until now with the FSD recall, but that doesn't even pertain to the operation of Basic Autopilot which is what we're talking about in this thread. They neutered themselves when they switched away from the AP1/Mobileye system to make their own in-house system to pursue the pipe dream of level 5 autonomous robotaxis by 2020.

Most aspects of Basic Autopilot are currently worse than other competing systems. I'm not talking about EAP or FSD or FSD Beta. Basic Autopilot, as in just adaptive cruise control with lane centering, is very "meh". Phantom braking, poor speed control, annoyingly restrictive lane centering, frequent nags about hands on the wheel even when they already are, etc. And lane keep assist (when AP is off) doesn't even seem to work most of the time for me. It either just lets me cross the line without doing anything or it just yells at me that i'm leaving the lane but does not try to nudge the steering to stay in the lane.

Now, one major positive thing is Tesla does have the ability to update and change and improve the operation over time, unlike most other automakers where the system is more or less set in stone once it leaves the factory. (Well, at least improve up to the limits of the hardware but them ditching HW3 cars for HW4 is another topic.) But I don't really care about how well it *might* function 5 years from now when at the present time the basic ADAS functions still don't work as well as others.

Reactions: kavyboy
Now, one major positive thing is Tesla does have the ability to update and change and improve the operation over time,
I'm not sure that's a positive thing. My updated TACC is demonstrably worse than it was when I bought the car. Do you think any other car company would remotely disable radar whether you wanted them to or not? I don't.

Reactions: kavyboy and E90alex
I'm not sure that's a positive thing. My updated TACC is demonstrably worse than it was when I bought the car. Do you think any other car company would remotely disable radar whether you wanted them to or not? I don't.
I find it annoying that they somehow have the legal right to mess with your car after you bought it without asking for your permission. IE Hey we have a new upgrade, these are the changes....would you like it? press download and accept new risks terms and conditions!!! Come to think of it I think we all blanket accept automatic updates when setting up the car at first... Still annoying.

Reactions: kavyboy
I find it annoying that they somehow have the legal right to mess with your car after you bought it without asking for your permission. IE Hey we have a new upgrade, these are the changes....would you like it? press download and accept new risks terms and conditions!!! Come to think of it I think we all blanket accept automatic updates when setting up the car at first... Still annoying.
New software downloads automatically, but you have to initiate the installation, which is a form of permission. If you don't initiate the installation, your car will continue to run its existing firmware.

• Informative
Reactions: SalisburySam
I just started driving my new 2023 MYP. I didnt purchase the additional autopilot versions as I wanted to first see how the base autopilot works.

I am very underwhelmed with the self driving on the base version after reading all the hype!
Just a minor point. Autopilot is not self driving, its just basic lane keeping and traffic aware cruise, nothing more.
The car is never driving itself, only you can do that, the car just assists. :cool:

What do you mean?
Apparently part of Tesla warranty conditions are that you must keep the car updated with software updates.
Therefore if you avoid updates and request Tesla service - then they may refuse to cover costs for any faults, if you have not kept up to date with software downloads.
They would almost certainly also ensure that car has latest update installed before running a diagnostic test

Apparently part of Tesla warranty conditions are that you must keep the car updated with software updates.
Therefore if you avoid updates and request Tesla service - then they may refuse to cover costs for any faults, if you have not kept up to date with software downloads.
They would almost certainly also ensure that car has latest update installed before running a diagnostic test
"Apparently" there is nothing in the warranty document that says that.
What it does say (on page 7 "Voided Warranty") is that you must comply with any recall advisories, which means if there is an update to resolve FSD recall for example then you need to install it.

The basic Autopilot operation leaves much to be desired. The TACC is adequate but not great. The Autosteer portion is the infuriating part.

It feels like you’re constantly fighting it. You have to force the wheel to change lanes which disables it and you have to re-engage.
Doesn’t the base Autopilot let you change lanes just by activating the turn signal?

I simply rest my hand at 7 o’clock on the wheel and the nag doesn’t occur.

Works on my 2017 MS and worked on the 2022 Model 3 I recently rented.

I have FSD but wouldn’t buy it at today’s prices. Basic AP is good enough (for basic lane keeping) and meant for divided highways. I keep my foot over the accelerator in case of a phantom brake to react quickly if a vehicle is close behind me (just in case).

"Apparently" there is nothing in the warranty document that says that.
What it does say (on page 7 "Voided Warranty") is that you must comply with any recall advisories, which means if there is an update to resolve FSD recall for example then you need to install it.
Here's what it does say:

"The software update screen persists until you install the update. You must install a software update as soon it becomes available. Any harm resulting from failure to install a software update is not covered by the vehicle’s warranty. Failure or refusal to install updates can cause some vehicle features to become inaccessible, digital media devices to become incompatible."

New software downloads automatically, but you have to initiate the installation, which is a form of permission. If you don't initiate the installation, your car will continue to run its existing firmware.
Sure, but Tesla has other ways to force you:

I don't know about any other Tesla software than my own. The software on my Y is at least 5 years behind Kia. I traded in a 2018 Kia that had much better driver assist features. They worked reliably and consistently. Blind spot detection worked well, alerted me both with a chime and blinking yellow lights in the appropriate mirror. Lane departure warning was always just right. My headlights moved with the steering wheel, which was really nice, pointing where I would be going based on the current front wheel angle, rather than where the car body was pointing and of course changed from high to low beam appropriately. My windshield wipers were automatic and kept the windshield clear, detecting rain and operating at an appropriate speed. The smart cruise control allowed me to adjust the following distance over a reasonable range. And I could maintain a 100% safety score, (for insurance purposes), because the car didn't wander off and get itself in trouble, requiring me to slam on the brakes, make sharp turns or correct for the car doing things because it was apparently frightened by the shadow of a bird flying overhead, heat mirage or other phantasm.

My 2015 90D does lane changes by activating the turn signal. I use it all the time.
That's Autopilot 1 (aka AP1). That has a different set of features than later versions with different hardware. I believe that the lane changes are now in "Enhanced Autopilot", not the basic feature set. Lane change in AP1 was sort of grandfathered in.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO and E90alex