Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot sensor replacement $190?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A while back I got message on my Model 3 dash saying some autopilot features stopped working. "Ultrasonic sensors not communicating". I just dropped my car off at the service center to fix it. Now I get this message from the service center saying

"After further diagnoses performed regarding your autopilot feature not working as design we found a rock chip damaged it and unfortunately the warranty will not cover the part replacement.

The cost is $190.00 pre tax.."

I'm a little bummed. Has this happened to anyone else?

A while back I got message on my Model 3 dash saying some autopilot features stopped working. "Ultrasonic sensors not communicating". I just dropped my car off at the service center to fix it. Now I get this message from the service center saying

"After further diagnoses performed regarding your autopilot feature not working as design we found a rock chip damaged it and unfortunately the warranty will not cover the part replacement.

The cost is $190.00 pre tax.."

I'm a little bummed. Has this happened to anyone else?

Sounds like a parking sensor was damaged. Indeed it is normal for warranties to not cover damage as a result of rock collisions. This would be covered by car insurance but for a $190 part it's probably not worth filing an insurance claim....

Their explanation sure is strange. It would make sense to be only a parking sensor but the way they called it AP sensor... I don't know.

I'd ask for details before agreeing to replace anything. $190+tax doesn't sound too bad but if it really is only for a $10 parking sensor, I'd like to at least know for sure if it was my case...

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
Their explanation sure is strange. It would make sense to be only a parking sensor but the way they called it AP sensor... I don't know.

I'd ask for details before agreeing to replace anything. $190+tax doesn't sound too bad but if it really is only for a $10 parking sensor, I'd like to at least know for sure if it was my case...
Don't see in the quote where Tesla called it an AP sensor. They said AP wasn't working because of a rock chip damaged it (referring to the message that said an Ultrasonic was not communicating). However the Ultrasonics are used by AP so they are AP sensors and not just used for parking.

Here are Ultrasonics working in AP.

IMG_1320.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
Frustrating for sure, but that doesn't sound out of the norm.

You're probably being billed for an hour labor, an inexpensive part, and other incidentals related to the repair. I would ask to see the old part, but it wouldn't surprise me if one of the forward facing sensors sustained damage.

Here is an image of the exact part that is being replaced

sensor.PNG

I don't really feel too bad about paying the $190, but it does kinda bust the myth that the only maintenance that one has to do on a Tesla is to refill the windshield wiper fluid. After all, there is nothing i can do to prevent a rock chip from taking out another sensor, is there?

Kinda reminded me of the days when the dealership would try to scam $500 dollars of maintenance every time i took my 2008 Nissan Altima in for an oil change. Not saying this is the same, just saying.

Here is an image of the exact part that is being replaced

View attachment 542969

I don't really feel too bad about paying the $190, but it does kinda bust the myth that the only maintenance that one has to do on a Tesla is to refill the windshield wiper fluid. After all, there is nothing i can do to prevent a rock chip from taking out another sensor, is there?

Kinda reminded me of the days when the dealership would try to scam $500 dollars of maintenance every time i took my 2008 Nissan Altima in for an oil change. Not saying this is the same, just saying.

I still think maintenance is separate from repairs. The car also doesn't have magical bulletproof/nailproof tires and replacing a tire can be $200 too.

That's not maintenance; it's repair. Almost two years in, Wattney has needed zero maintenance other than rotations. But a collision with an idiot creamed the right side mirror assembly, and I had to repair that. I don't hold that against Tesla.

Waiting for Force Field Mode...