Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot software upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to some budget issues, and not wanting to give up anything, I didn't order my new car with autopilot software. However, due to some viral youtube video revenue, I can afford it sooner than I thought. I was wondering if anyone knew how big of an ordeal it is to add it? Will I need an appointment and to relinquish the car for a day, or can I just swing by, hand over $3,000, and be on my way? Can it even be done remotely? I take delivery Wednesday.

I know I should just ask my service center, but I am in Seattle, where they are incredibly busy. So, I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with paid software upgrades before.

Due to some budget issues, and not wanting to give up anything, I didn't order my new car with autopilot software. However, due to some viral youtube video revenue, I can afford it sooner than I thought. I was wondering if anyone knew how big of an ordeal it is to add it? Will I need an appointment and to relinquish the car for a day, or can I just swing by, hand over $3,000, and be on my way? Can it even be done remotely? I take delivery Wednesday.

I know I should just ask my service center, but I am in Seattle, where they are incredibly busy. So, I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with paid software upgrades before.

I would imagine it could be done remotely so I'd go that route if I was you. It's probably some software flag. I highly doubt it has totally different SW, and my understanding is the HW is the same.

But, keep in mind it still has a ton of issues, and they have absolutely no timetable (other than the vague Summer) of when they'll release the rest of the autopilot SW. So we have no way of actually knowing whether it will really work or if it will do everything demonstrated by Elon Musk. All we have now is various rev's of 6.2 with a few fixes and a few steps back (like now it gets tricked out by shadows).

So it might be awhile.

If Tesla had it as $2500 whether you got it with the car or later than maybe I would have held off on it till it was more fully baked.

For the OP, or anyone without the AP software upgrade on a recent build, do these vehicles come with a standard cruise control feature? Also, did they come with a different stalk for controlling cruise control? I believe the TACC feature has special labeling on the stalk, so this upgrade would likely need to be done at a service center and not over the air.

Although the service centers are busy in both Seattle and Bellevue (and everywhere else too) they have never been too busy to spend the time to talk to me. Give them a call, or better yet stop by. They will become your friends. Both Maddy in Bellevue and Danny in Seattle are great... friendly, patient, helpful and good.
I believe that asking them will get you an answer... asking us will get you a lot about what we think the answer might be. :smile:

I believe all cars are being built with the same cruise control stalk whether they have the AutoPilot software option or not.

I don't think the cruise stalks are the same. I distinctly remember asking the DS when I drove 2 cars back to back about the AP on the NON-AP 70D I was test driving. The stalk was different.

Other than that though, I understood that all cars would be produced with the hardware capable of AP as of November 2014.