Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot speed control does what it wants. Solution?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
In my Autopilot screen on my 3, I have the "Set Speed" slider set to Speed Limit, and the "Offset" is set to Fixed, with a +25 mph offset.

On certain roads with 55-65 mph speed limits, my Base AP will turn on with the speed at 80 or 90 mph, and I'll just dial it down to 80 or whatever I want it on.

But here is the problem. On other roads with a 40-45-50 mph speed limit, It ignores the +25 setting, and will let me crank it up to only 5 mph over the posted limit. That annoys me!!!

And even more curiously, on a couple local roads with 45 mph limits, for certain sections of the road my Base AP believes the speed limit is really 35 or even 25! So I have to press on the electric pedal to not hold up traffic.

There needs to be a way to teach Base AP the correct speed limits on certain roads.

And for my problem of being only able to go +5 mph over on certain roads, do I have my slider selectors set right for that?

Reactions: boonedocks
Do you have "Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control" turned on? If so, that is why it will only go +5 mph over the limit on those roads. AP will respond differently depending on how it classifies the road you are on.

On freeways, it will use the settings you set (that's what they were designed for). On other urban roads that it does not recognize as divided highways, with the Traffic Light stuff on, it will stick to the locally posted speed limit plus 5 mph (because the beta is only rated to handle traffic lights correctly at those speeds).

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
In my Autopilot screen on my 3, I have the "Set Speed" slider set to Speed Limit, and the "Offset" is set to Fixed, with a +25 mph offset.

On certain roads with 55-65 mph speed limits, my Base AP will turn on with the speed at 80 or 90 mph, and I'll just dial it down to 80 or whatever I want it on.

But here is the problem. On other roads with a 40-45-50 mph speed limit, It ignores the +25 setting, and will let me crank it up to only 5 mph over the posted limit. That annoys me!!!

This is not a problem- This is user error.

The manual pretty clearly tells you AP is not intended for the low-speed roads you're using it on, and that if you insist on using it anyway it'll restrict you to 5 mph over whatever it believes the speed limit to be.

And even more curiously, on a couple local roads with 45 mph limits, for certain sections of the road my Base AP believes the speed limit is really 35 or even 25! So I have to press on the electric pedal to not hold up traffic.

There needs to be a way to teach Base AP the correct speed limits on certain roads.

There is. It reads speed limit signs (at least the newer HW3 cars do- not sure if the older 2.x HW ever got that feature...). They also occasionally update the speed limit databased in the map data too.

You'll still be limited to 5 over though since AP isn't intended for such roads in the first place.

And for my problem of being only able to go +5 mph over on certain roads, do I have my slider selectors set right for that?

I'd highly suggest you read the manual, all this stuff about where AP is intended to be used, and the 5 mph over max when you use it in places it's not meant to be used has been in there for years now.

I don't always want to be 25 over, but 5 over is too slow. 10 over I could live with, 15 would be enough for the normal flow of traffic around here. In Pittsburgh, speed limits are merely suggestions. Local cops don't have radar.

Good to know but I am curious about speeding tickets without speed guns

It's not too bad. State Police only sit on the highways, and usually only in a few certain well known spots, so they aren't too much trouble. If you go flying by an area where state cops are known to sit at 90+ mph, then you deserve the ticket. And as for local cops, if you live in a certain area it doesn't take long to notice where they might be parked along the road somewhere. They might have white lines painted on the road, or their little sensor things set up along the road. Some of the creative ones will time you to get from this telephone pole / other landmark to that telephone pole / other landmark, as it appears from their point of view from where they are sitting.

I seem to average about one traffic ticket every 2 years or so. It doesn't bother me too much anymore. I figure it this way - the number of times I am breaking a traffic law in 2 years, divided by the number of tickets I get in 2 years, = a number I can't complain much about! And I don't go saying things or being a jerk to the officer, I just take the ticket and don't throw him an attitude, so they usually knock it down to "failure to obey traffic control device" or some other such no points / no insurance trouble causing thing.

25mph over the limit and with no hands on the wheel!

Steering wheel hack no longer working in 2020.44.10.1
Hhmmm, I was out for a 40 mile ride on a fairly straight highway the other day, and 2 times during the trip it wanted me to touch the wheel even though my 19 ounce "de-nag the nag" weight was on as it always was. That's never happened before.

The weight is normally hanging near my hand, I can tap or bounce the weight a bit with minimal effort now and then to alter its weight briefly. I'll keep an eye on this and see what alterations are needed.

I'm glad I don't live in Pittsburgh for more reasons than usual today!

It's not too bad. State Police only sit on the highways, and usually only in a few certain well known spots, so they aren't too much trouble. If you go flying by an area where state cops are known to sit at 90+ mph, then you deserve the ticket. And as for local cops, if you live in a certain area it doesn't take long to notice where they might be parked along the road somewhere. They might have white lines painted on the road, or their little sensor things set up along the road. Some of the creative ones will time you to get from this telephone pole / other landmark to that telephone pole / other landmark, as it appears from their point of view from where they are sitting.

I seem to average about one traffic ticket every 2 years or so. It doesn't bother me too much anymore. I figure it this way - the number of times I am breaking a traffic law in 2 years, divided by the number of tickets I get in 2 years, = a number I can't complain much about! And I don't go saying things or being a jerk to the officer, I just take the ticket and don't throw him an attitude, so they usually knock it down to "failure to obey traffic control device" or some other such no points / no insurance trouble causing thing.
Lucky for you over there but that not happens here on west coast.