Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot speed never +5mph over posted limit(?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've fiddled with the different speed options offered, either a fixed amount over the speed limit or a percentage. Nothing I do changes the actual speeds, which are always no more than 5mph over the posted limit. Not a really big deal, but wondering if I'm doing something wrong? Sometimes, depending on conditions, ya just wanna do another few miles an hour more than 5 over!

Rich

Speed up and pull down on the right stalk once to set the new AP speed limit. Here's a picture of me going +10mph on a surface street.

AP_set_speed.jpg

Alternatively, when activating AP, pull down once to set the desired speed. Pause for a second or two. Then pull down again to activate AP.

I've fiddled with the different speed options offered, either a fixed amount over the speed limit or a percentage. Nothing I do changes the actual speeds, which are always no more than 5mph over the posted limit. Not a really big deal, but wondering if I'm doing something wrong? Sometimes, depending on conditions, ya just wanna do another few miles an hour more than 5 over!

Rich

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
Tried that but it doesn't work. I think there are more variables involved of exactly where AP will allow more than 5mph over the limit. For me not even a divided road close to my home (with traffic lights) with 50 mph speed limit will allow that.

Just back from a ride in our MY. Same result. Could not go over 5mph of the posted speed limit.

I am now convinced you and I are being conspired against....:eek:

Rich

Sorry for providing wrong info. I need to do more testing on my side.

Aside:
I found that sometimes doing the two quick pulls of the right stalk sets the cruise speed to the limit vs my current (faster) speed. Pausing between the two pulls allows me to lock to my current (faster) speed. Sometimes don't use the right scroll wheel as it's quicker to accelerate and pull down on the right stalk to set a higher cruise speed.

@frankvb had it right. @mark95476 is likely showing you a picture from a road that is classified as divided. There are lots of these that are not limited access where you are not restricted to +5. But there is no secret sauce to overriding this as @mark95476 implies.

Tried that but it doesn't work. I think there are more variables involved of exactly where AP will allow more than 5mph over the limit. For me not even a divided road close to my home (with traffic lights) with 50 mph speed limit will allow that.

Just back from a ride in our MY. Same result. Could not go over 5mph of the posted speed limit.

I am now convinced you and I are being conspired against....:eek:

Rich

Check your settings. There is a setting that puts AP speed as within a margin of the speed limit, but you can also toggle it to actual speed.

One advantage to AutoPilot only doing +5 mph over the limit is keeping you out of speed traps.
Certain spots, the police know that the speed limit drops significantly and that is where they set up.
You are moving along at 50 mph and the limit drops to 35 for a short stretch, and that is where they try to nab you.
Autopilot (and regen braking) will slow you down to the new speed limit and help you avoid those costly inattentiveness issues.
At least it has for me.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I think that's unrelated, but will give it a try. It would be a loophole if that would be a way to override the +5 limitation.
Tried it and it doesn't work. Either you can set the speed limit higher than +5 mph, or not. The logic of which roads can or can't do that, is not very clear, it is possible on a 45mph limit road that is very similar to another 50mph limit one where it's not allowed.