Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot speed restrictions...what do you think

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were spoiled before due to it being new tech and not known by the general public. While in semi and full autonomous mode no car company is going to leave themselves exposed to liability by not following the law. Those who are upset about the change, I challenge them to find a replacement vehicle that provides the functionality as well as Tesla and goes above the speed limit.

We were spoiled before due to it being new tech and not known by the general public. While in semi and full autonomous mode no car company is going to leave themselves exposed to liability by not following the law. Those who are upset about the change, I challenge them to find a replacement vehicle that provides the functionality as well as Tesla and goes above the speed limit.

Tesla: No Worse than Other OEMs

Not exactly the promise of a year ago.

There are clearly a number of owners here who are very upset with this change which only applies to non-divided roads and is only a 5mph change.

I am surprised that people get so upset about such a small change on roads that in fact AP is not recommended for. Currently AP is designed for divided roads without cross traffic. Over time it will become more capable and be able to handle undivided roads more safely. I suspect that at that time it will be changed to allow use at something over the posted speed limit.

For now, this small change is about safety and walking the fine line between satisfying regulatory agencies and enabling AP use on a wider range of road types.

And yes I know my S does not have AP but I have spent hours driving an AP-enabled Model S so I have some experience with it.
It's MY car and I am the one who decides what is a safe speed, weather or not I'm using a driver's aid. If I get a ticket for speeding I wouldn't think it was Tesla's responsibility for selling me a car that could exceed the posted limit. The cops don't care if I'm using autopilot or tacc, nor should they. Tesla is opening up a can of worms here.

If this is intended to improve safety it is a clear fail. If the product is not "designed" for non-divided highways then either remove that capability altogether our leave it up to the operator to make the decision.

... If this is intended to improve safety it is a clear fail. If the product is not "designed" for non-divided highways then either remove that capability altogether our leave it up to the operator to make the decision.

I have a sneaking suspicion you may get your way.

Step 1: put the +5 limit on

Result: squeals, but ok *grumble*

Step 2: speed limit only

Result: Screams, disappointment, "now it's worthless"

Step 3: remove ability to use AS on non-divided roads

Result: "oh well, it was worthless anyway"

This is lame, just got the update last night. Its basically unusable off the freeway now which is maybe the point...just expressing my displeasure in case Tesla is keeping track. It would be fine to start at the speed limit and make the user bump it up.
@Cstreet , I hope you are doing more than just posting in a thread. Call Tesla support (functionality phone menu option)
and complain to your service center manager and ask them to tell corporate of your displeasure
and if you are a twitter user complain to Elon directly.

The technique is transparent... but that won't stop team Kool-aid from seeing the bright side! Chocolate rations are being increased again!

It's MY car and I am the one who decides what is a safe speed...
So don't use Autopilot and go as fast as you decide is safe.

It is absurd to slam Tesla for limiting the speed that Autopilot can go in a specific road situation (undivided roads with cross traffic as compared to freeways) when Tesla has never promised that Autopilot would always allow users to exceed the speed limit on a specific type of road. And for all we know, at some point in the future Tesla may revert that specific Autopilot feature back to the way it was earlier this year when Tesla decides that Autopilot is more capable than it currently is.

There's a stretch of road in Folsom (Sacramento metro area) that is two lanes each way, 55 MPH, with a large divided area full of trees and such. As you'll see in this picture the car is even aware that there's more than one lane, because it sees another car next to me. Still locked it down to 55 though. (Picture attached)

I agree with those in the thread who say this is dangerous -- it is unusable when you are impeding the flow of traffic with no way to speed up further. I can understand displaying a warning that the speed limit is being exceeded or whatever, but to lock it down is wrong.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 51

I love my Tesla and wouldn't trade it for any other car currently available......with that said, this post could be truer than any of us want to believe.....then it on to divided highways starting with posted speed limitations only. I sincerely hope not but the current course starting with all the nags makes it look plausible.

I took a long road trip from D.C. to Venice, FL. on Dec 24. On I95 southbound in posted 70 mph speed limit and 70 mph showing on my dash I had the unpleasant and un-safe experience of my MS deciding to decelerate to 50 mph several times. Not a good thing when the traffic flow is 75 mph. Lucky I didn't get rear-ended twice as I had to floor it to get back up to traffic speed to avoid getting hit. Sure the cars behind me are still cursing me.

it is unusable when you are impeding the flow of traffic with no way to speed up further
No way? Turn off AP and speed up. Problem solved.

Really this thread sometimes borders on comedy. AP is a work in progress, always has been, and will continue to be for years to come. Sometimes Tesla will need to restrict it, more often they will expand its capabilities. If you can't handle that, don't use it and wait for it to be perfect.

I took a long road trip from D.C. to Venice, FL. on Dec 24. On I95 southbound in posted 70 mph speed limit and 70 mph showing on my dash I had the unpleasant and un-safe experience of my MS deciding to decelerate to 50 mph several times. Not a good thing when the traffic flow is 75 mph. Lucky I didn't get rear-ended twice as I had to floor it to get back up to traffic speed to avoid getting hit. Sure the cars behind me are still cursing me.

I wonder what version of firmware Elon is running on his car? It can't be the same as what we've got. In my town, there are several divided highways (with boulevards) where my AP would only go at the post limit now. Sure, I don't use it there, but this "enhancement" makes this feature totally useless unless no other cars are around because they all whiz at 10-15% higher speeds.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
wait for it to be perfect

Wait for it to be perfect? More like wait for it to be worse. Most of us have spent the last 6-12 months using the system...and now it's worse. As others have said, this isn't frustrating because autopilot is working poorly on these roads...it's frustrating because it has worked fine and now refuses to operate.

There are numerous conditions that Autopilot handles poorly and could easily cause accidents if the driver is inattentive...this solves none of them.

Because a head-on collision at 55mph is better than one at 60mph :rolleyes:

It's great to keep repeating "just drive yourself"...but if I planned to do that, I would have purchased a different car.