Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot speed restrictions...what do you think

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having just received the latest update I can confirm:

TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control) is not limited to posted speed limits on any streets.

AutoPilot (with Auto Steering engaged) is limited to posted speed limit on secondary streets/undivided highways. Before updating, it was limited to posted speed limit +5 MPH.

Mike
Thanks, Mike.

So, there's no overriding the AP setting by pushing up on the stalk?

Josh

When I read that facebook post I thought he was just talking about using the accelerator to speed up. I thought everyone agreed that worked and did not disengage AP? I have an AP 2.0 car, so none of it works for me at the moment.

The last comment/question made me inquisitive...

"Wait so it automatically restricts but allows override? That's better than the current 10kph limit with no override."

<snip>
I can keep up with traffic by pressing the accelerator a bit. Autopilot stays on and does its thing but you can drive as fast as you want or need to.
<snip>
If you press the accelerator with AP1 on then you get a repeated messages that the car will not do the TACC (aka adaptive cruise control) of stopping/slowing for cars. It will also show a red exclamation mark on the center display and if you click it then it will explain the same thing. So now one of the best features of AP1 is not useable ... monitoring/following cars ahead of you.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
Anyone know someone that can manufacture a 89 MPH road sign that is attached to a long selfie stick? I have an idea.

I am fairly sure the car is using google maps data for speed limits and not "seeing" road signs. Our GMC has the speed limits as well and I don't think it is reading signs. Usually when it changes it is not necessarily at a sign and it is fairly often not the same as a posted sign. I have no facts to back this up... Just what I thought / think.

I got my update last night. It is interesting that the release notes don't say anything about this change (at least not the ones that pop up on the screen). I can confirm same as the others that the limit on undivided residential type streets is now the speed limit. You can still push past it with the accelerator pedal but it will prompt you to hold the wheel.

I also had an experience on I-95 today where it suddenly restricted the speed to 50 MPH when I was going 80. It only lasted a few seconds and then returned. I'm not sure what could have caused that... I did see any speed limit signs near by. I was going under an overpass so my only thought is that the car somehow thought I was on the road going over the highway for a split second? I've driven the same route many times and never had this before. So I am inclined to think it had something to do with the update; but, I have no idea why. This is was way more concerning to me than the speed limit on residential roads.

On the bright side I am happy they introduced profiles being linked to the key fob!

I am fairly sure the car is using google maps data for speed limits and not "seeing" road signs. Our GMC has the speed limits as well and I don't think it is reading signs. Usually when it changes it is not necessarily at a sign and it is fairly often not the same as a posted sign. I have no facts to back this up... Just what I thought / think.

It uses both. There is a 35mph sign on a side road near me, and during the winter months the car sees it and thinks the speed limit is 35mph for about 200 yards until it sees the 45mph sign on the main road. During the summer it is obscured by leaves and my car knows the correct limit.

I've also had it read the '5mph' signs at toll booths.

Furious over this - paid Telsa extra for this functionality and now it will be essentially non-functional on most of the roads I drive. Safe driving means not driving substantially slower than the traffic flow and now Autopilot will not keep up.

Agree completely. I drive a lot of undivided roads where I know autopilot works great, and I know where to take over for the tricky bits. Being restricted to the speed limit will create an unacceptable traffic jam behind me. Will NOT be installing the upgrade.

-Ben

When I first started reading this thread, I thought people were overreacting. But I just got the update today at work, and on my drive home, I was no longer comfortable using AP. It simply isn't safe when the people behind you are pissed, riding your arse, and trying to pass you where they shouldn't be. I honestly didn't think that 5MPH would make that much of a difference, but I was drastically mistaken.

On a side note, they've extended the following distance for TACC so much that I only use a setting of 1 now, and even that is scary on the freeway, because again, people following you get pissed when they see such a large gap in front of you. I honestly used to change the setting depending on the surrounding, but now even on 1 it's too far back to avoid road rage from others.

I also had an experience on I-95 today where it suddenly restricted the speed to 50 MPH when I was going 80. It only lasted a few seconds and then returned. I'm not sure what could have caused that... I did see any speed limit signs near by. I was going under an overpass so my only thought is that the car somehow thought I was on the road going over the highway for a split second? I've driven the same route many times and never had this before. So I am inclined to think it had something to do with the update; but, I have no idea why. This is was way more concerning to me than the speed limit on residential roads.

I suggest sending an email to national service [email protected] and be as precise as you can. I had a problem when traveling on the New Jersey Turnpike. The speed limit sign on the dash would drop to 5 MPH for about one-half mile and then return to 65. I emailed them the mile markers where this occurred and they fixed it.

I agree the speed limitation makes AP next to useless on undivided roads. But we do not want Tesla sued out of existence due to an AP failure. I find on some undivided roads AP makes a lot of mistakes, whether due to sharp curves, hills, poor or absent lane markings, etc. Perhaps with AP 2.0's more powerful chips and hardware, plus a growing database of road data, Tesla will be able to allow faster speeds on many of the undivided roads, where AP does not make mistakes.