Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot speed restrictions...what do you think

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually it allows up to your speed offset setting OR +5mph, whichever is lower. If you have speed offset at +2, AS will only allow up to +2 mph (on AP1, don't know about AP2).
Interesting! That's exactly what I suggested to Tesla in my angry email a few weeks back, complaining about the new speed restrictions on AP.
...PLEASE revert to the previous +5 miles asap. Or as an idea, we have the setting to adjust how many miles we want to go over the speed limit when on TACC. Why don't you adopt this setting for AP, too? Would make sense, right??...

Reactions: BerTX
I, too, can confirm you're now limited to +5 MPH on non-divided roads with both TACC and Autosteer engaged.

The was never a limit (aside from the global 90 MPH limit) when only TACC was engaged. Glad to see Tesla reverse this policy.

That's Awesome to hear everyone! Thanks!

I went out this morning to see if the older update was still available, but it had mysteriously vanished, and then this evening I got a phone notification that a software update was available to install. I will do so over the weekend to see if it is the previously alluded to 2.52.22.

I appreciate everyone both here and on Telsa Motors Forums and Facebook for speaking up about our concerns of greater risk with that 'patch' integrated into our firmware.

Reactions: u00mem9
That's Awesome to hear everyone! Thanks!

I went out this morning to see if the older update was still available, but it had mysteriously vanished, and then this evening I got a phone notification that a software update was available to install. I will do so over the weekend to see if it is the previously alluded to 2.52.22.

I appreciate everyone both here and on Telsa Motors Forums and Facebook for speaking up about our concerns of greater risk with that 'patch' integrated into our firmware.

Yes! It is indeed the aforementioned 2.52.22...will try it out later to see how well (or not the update performs both on local undivided roads and divided highways.)

Reactions: CTShore
Folks have reported that going to Settings --> Driver Assist --> Speed Limit Offset and setting it to Relative and at least +5 MPH will get you back to +5 MPH over the speed limit.

Thanks! Yes, this did work for me. I still got the message that I was limited to 50 mph this morning, but it allowed me to set it up to 55. I did a double-take to make sure it said 50 and it did. Strange.

Standing back from the minutia of this and looking at the big problem. Tesla is up against a problem that all autonomous driving systems face. Building an autonomous system that fits into a network where every car is autonomous is a much easier job then building one in today's environment. There are a lot of details, but there are a finite number of edge conditions to deal with.

Building an autonomous car today, you have to build for the condition that your car is going to be the only autonomous car on the road and every other car is going to be driven by humans, at least some percentage of which are driven by idiots who can't drive, are intoxicated, or are distracted. Predicting the behavior of a crowd is not that difficult, but trying to predict the behavior of one person, especially when you don't have any information about them is pretty difficult.

They need to build a system that is many times more complex first! On top of all that they need to deal with the difference between the reality of the roads and what the regulators would like to see. Governments would like to see autonomous cars stick to all the laws of the road, but enough people break those laws on a constant basis that the laws are effectively unenforceable. There is a theory in law enforcement that when more than 0.7% of the population (I think that's the percentage, it's something in that neighborhood) break a law, the law can only be sporadically enforced. Laws against murder are fairly easy to enforce because the vast majority of the population aren't going to break that law.

But almost everyone speeds to such an extent in many areas when traffic is light it's dangerous not to speed too. I expect companies like Tesla developing this stuff are in a tug of war between regulators who want to see autonomous cars obey all the laws and real world drivers who want to keep up with traffic flow.

Google has gone the rout of sticking to all the traffic laws, but their cars don't get on the freeway and I've heard some people find the Google cars annoying on the street.

I want my autonomous car to drive like I do, but it doesn't. But what is the best answer?

Reactions: drklain
Yes! It is indeed the aforementioned 2.52.22...will try it out later to see how well (or not the update performs both on local undivided roads and divided highways.)

Yes, as confirmed earlier I too have verified that, in AP 1.0, fw 2.52.22 goes back to allowing +5 mph offset for both TACC and Autosteering. Glad to see they continue to refine the software, and I am sure it is getting safer every day, although I have no illusions it will ever achieve even what AP 2.0 claims it will eventually be capable of in the not too distant future.

I look forward to seeing what the Model ☰ will be capable of beyond that in the coming years!