TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AutoPilot speed restrictions

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by kirkbauer, Feb 4, 2017.

1. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

I was surprised that if you hit 90 on AP that it not only makes you take over but now it disables AP for the rest of the drive.

I'm glad the limit has returned to 5 over on non highways, but it's still annoying. I'd like to have Elon ride with me as school buses pass my P85D. :)

2. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

There are numerous threads and discussions about this on TMC. Try searching "penalty box."

3. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

So far this has only happened me once. IN AP, changed lanes to pass a row of slower moving cars and a car catches up to me from behind and hints that he might want me to pass them faster. Being a courteous driver, I obliged. :cool:

OK, so maybe I over-obliged. Regretted it for the next hour or so.

4. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

5. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

Does anybody else think the max +5MPH over the limit makes Teslas look bad? It's just I have this P85D which is marketed as a high-performance vehicle, and I'm thinking every time a Prius, school bus, minivan, etc, passes me it doesn't really make Tesla look good.

6. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

So don't use AP in those situations. TACC will work fine. You haven't forgotten how to drive.

7. Price-S

Price-S Member

Opps, took one for the team today. 80 in a 65 ticket. Darn TACC - I was just following other traffic. I suppose I didn't see the CHiP when I entered the freeway very quickly.

8. aikisteve

aikisteve Member

What do you think the self drive version will do? It will adhere to speed limits, because it needs to drive legally.

9. srthomas21

srthomas21 Member

Is the plus 5 mph over the speed limit really back? I haven't updated my software because they took that away. If they put it back I will upgrade my software. I'm in a loaner right now and it still is limited to exactly the speed limit when in autopilot.

10. kort677

kort677 Active Member

took one for the team? what team? sounds very self inflicted to me

11. kort677

kort677 Active Member

the 5mph limit is only imposed on undivided roadways. on a proper interstate level highway there is no such limit

12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

I would expect all autonomous cars to adhere to laws when possible. It's something that will help electric cars because it's a lot easier for a car to be driven totally legally when it has instant, rapid acceleration.