Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot speed to an absolute value over the speed limit has been removed in FSD Beta 11.3.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We can now move past the silly speeding discussion.
It was important to mention, to provide the motivation for needing different limits on freeway and surface streets.

I think it would be a good idea and useful to many people, due to the way things work.

Fundamentally, enforcement (and norms!) can be very different on the freeways vs. local roads.

I’d like to not have a 10% excess value for surface streets! But 72mph on CA-56 is concurrently way too slow.

Glad you agree it's not allowed.
The term “allowed” is extremely ambiguous, of course. I think it is allowed, but not permitted by law, and the law can be enforced at any time.

Last edited:
Actually that is exactly what they should have done. Drivers need to be responsible and held accountable for how they drive, it is not the responsibility of your car to be your mommy. Tesla is continuously under attack with their FSD being blamed for poor drivers and for those who try to get around the safety systems already in place. Each time they cave they just feed the fire of those who want to blame the car, while the rest of us pay the price.
Unfortunately NHTSA loves enforcing archaic policies.

Actually that is exactly what they should have done. Drivers need to be responsible and held accountable for how they drive, it is not the responsibility of your car to be your mommy. Tesla is continuously under attack with their FSD being blamed for poor drivers and for those who try to get around the safety systems already in place. Each time they cave they just feed the fire of those who want to blame the car, while the rest of us pay the price.
Even though the recall is called "voluntary," if Tesla didn't comply with some change, NHTSA would be the one to dictate something (usually something even worse). It could be as bad as a complete suspension of FSD Beta entirely.

I mean technically it is, but it isn’t.

As with everything in this world, it’s not just simply absolute binary black and white. Going 1 mph over the speed limit is technically speeding but it’s not as the same as going 10 mph over the limit.

The change makes complete sense from a safety perspective. Going 10 over in a 25 zone (eg residential street) is not the same safety risk as going 10 over in a 65 (eg limited access highway with no cross traffic). First of all the speed differential is 40% higher in a 25 vs 15% higher in a 65. And the lower speed limit is in place because there is a higher probability obstacles that can impede your driving and visibility such as cars backing out, children or pets running into the road, blind corners due to parked cars/fences/houses/trees etc.

My point is how does nhtsa decide one method to get the car to speed is OK but another isn’t?

Just to be clear here after reading all these comments.…

Right Now if you set to absolute 5 miles over, It will set the cruise at 5 miles over when you start fad or Tac but you can always change it with scroll.

with the changes, im not seeing anywhere that you still can’t scroll adjust the speed…. It will just start based in percentages.

right now on highway I don’t see it changing when the speed limit changes if you set it with scroll higher…….
so is this such a big deal or an I missing something?

I have 5% offset and it works just great. I would never trust an absolute offset. Seems far too dangerous.
I have it set to 15% offset!!! Which comes out to 3-5 mph over speed limit on localk streets (i.e. 40 in a 35 mph) which is fine... and about 10 mph over on highways (63 in a 55... 75 in a 65). In Cali here that is still sometimes slower than the flow of traffic on the highways but I just scroll up if needed but 15% is good for me....