Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Stalk User Interface ERROR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The user interface for the autopilot in the S is designed bass-ackwards.

The whole world is trained to turn a light switch on by flipping up. To turn a light off, you push down on the switch.

The U.I. on the autopilot should be the same. To turn on the autopilot, one should push upward on the autopilot stalk. To turn the autopilot off one should push the stalk down.

To accelerate an airplane, a boat, a Segway, a gas pedal, etc., one pushed forward.
To decelerate, one pulls back.

On the Tesla S autopilot stalk, to accelerate the autopilot speed, one pushes up on the stalk.

I myself, and I have witnessed other Tesla S drivers, desiring to increase the autopilot speed intuitively push the stalk FORWARD (which turns off the autopilot) and does not increase the autopilot speed.

The engineer that designed the U.I. for the Tesla S autopilot stalk would not be working for very long at my Silicon Valley company. That engineer should read a U.I. book for once in his life.

From a Stanford E.E. / C.S. / A.I. trained engineer who has had multiple successful Silicon Valley start-ups.

Gary

The user interface for the autopilot in the S is designed bass-ackwards.

The whole world is trained to turn a light switch on by flipping up. To turn a light off, you push down on the switch.

The U.I. on the autopilot should be the same. To turn on the autopilot, one should push upward on the autopilot stalk. To turn the autopilot off one should push the stalk down.

To accelerate an airplane, a boat, a Segway, a gas pedal, etc., one pushed forward.
To decelerate, one pulls back.

On the Tesla S autopilot stalk, to accelerate the autopilot speed, one pushes up on the stalk.

I myself, and I have witnessed other Tesla S drivers, desiring to increase the autopilot speed intuitively push the stalk FORWARD (which turns off the autopilot) and does not increase the autopilot speed.

The engineer that designed the U.I. for the Tesla S autopilot stalk would not be working for very long at my Silicon Valley company. That engineer should read a U.I. book for once in his life.

From a Stanford E.E. / C.S. / A.I. trained engineer who has had multiple successful Silicon Valley start-ups.

Gary

I would have to disagree on that opinion..

Volume Up, Volume Down.. You don't push forward/backward for volume control.
Most other vehicles and their cruise control = Up/Down, not forward/backward.

It's instinctual to move the stalk up/down for speed, not forward or backward.

Forward/backward is engage/disengage or on/off.. You have push-button On/Off. Your AP control stalk conforms to these rules...

Forward/Backward = On/Off
Up/Down = Adjustment

Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Don't forget that you're also working with a steering wheel interface - a user holding a steering wheel will more than likely perform up/down movements - speed changes would occur more often than activating/deactivating AP. You don't push forward/pull backward for your turn signals, it's easier to to simply flick them while holding the wheel.

Reactions: Seawind300
This is interesting. I suspect the U.I. engineer gets his guidance from the boss.

You have just confirmed something that I thought all long. Elon is not of Earth. Maybe that's why he's trying to get back to Mars.

As I recall, in the most recent Men In Black, they have a picture of him in the herd that are aliens but living here. Maybe they know something.

And in Independence Day, Jeff Goldblum is taken aback when Will Smith pulls pushed the saucer controls forward, the craft went backwards. Then pulled back and it flew forward. Maybe that's standard where Elon is from? I don't know.

This evokes the Mac and the scrolling nightmare of a few years ago when Apple changed its mind and everyone had to move from scrolling moved the page to it moved a window on the page (or vice verse). They had to add an option.to disable it since half the population wanted it the other way.

UI/Interface features are either open to interpretation or ‘retraining’.