Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot - Start / Stop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just upgraded to 2019.32.1 and noticed when I was in traffic today, while autopilot was engaged, that when the car comes to a complete stop, I now have to step on the accelerator to get it moving again. Before upgrading firmware, the car would just go on its own, which was wonderful for dealing with highway traffic.

Anyone else experiencing this? This wasn't mentioned anywhere in the release notes.

Just upgraded to 2019.32.1 and noticed when I was in traffic today, while autopilot was engaged, that when the car comes to a complete stop, I now have to step on the accelerator to get it moving again. Before upgrading firmware, the car would just go on its own, which was wonderful for dealing with highway traffic.

Anyone else experiencing this? This wasn't mentioned anywhere in the release notes.
Did it happen just once or several times? Did it do this after you do the scroll wheel reboot?

This isn't new, it happens sometimes when the car is unsure if the following car has started moving again or not. But perhaps sensitivity was adjusted. I have seen it once on 2019.32.1 in the past few days (since I was updated).

Yeah this isn't new. There has always been some kind of delay. Your car never immediately started moving as soon as the car in front moved an inch. Now what that delay is and how it related to your TACC distance setting, who knows and that may have changed.

The other thing to look at is, did your car go into hold mode or did it still show "0" for speed? If it goes into hold mode then it will not automatically start moving again.

It happens when it goes into hold mode. It puts up a message that says "Press the accelerator" or something like that. I came from 2019.20.4 so this didn't happen when I had that version.

Yeah this isn't new. There has always been some kind of delay. Your car never immediately started moving as soon as the car in front moved an inch. Now what that delay is and how it related to your TACC distance setting, who knows and that may have changed.

The other thing to look at is, did your car go into hold mode or did it still show "0" for speed? If it goes into hold mode then it will not automatically start moving again.

It happens when it goes into hold mode. It puts up a message that says "Press the accelerator" or something like that. I came from 2019.20.4 so this didn't happen when I had that version.

Ok so from a technical standpoint, which is important here, the issue isn't that the car doesn't "go on its own" anymore, it is that it is going into Hold mode when you don't think it should. I have seen my car go into hold mode at a stop by itself while on AP a couple times(while on 2019.20.4.x) but it didn't happen enough for me to find a cause or pattern.

Common reasons for it going into hold would be if you are on an incline/decline(of unknown amount). Perhaps that is what happened? Or are you saying it happens at EVERY stop no matter what? Whether it happen EVERY time or not is also an important distinction.

I take the same route to work all the time with the same stop and go and it's never gone into hold mode before. I don't consider any parts of my highway commute to be in such an incline/decline that it needs to go into hold mode.

Let's see how it does on my commute back.

Ok so from a technical standpoint, which is important here, the issue isn't that the car doesn't "go on its own" anymore, it is that it is going into Hold mode when you don't think it should. I have seen my car go into hold mode at a stop by itself while on AP a couple times(while on 2019.20.4.x) but it didn't happen enough for me to find a cause or pattern.

Common reasons for it going into hold would be if you are on an incline/decline(of unknown amount). Perhaps that is what happened? Or are you saying it happens at EVERY stop no matter what? Whether it happen EVERY time or not is also an important distinction.