Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot steering wheel hack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so using a ziplock and mini weights I think I figured the minimum weight to make AP2 stop complaining to touch the wheel. I’ll now build a piece to nicely hug the side of the steering wheel and sew it together.

Anyone ever tried a permanent solution that’s not a bottle of water or an orange to the steering column?

The way I see it’s my car, it’s a free country, I should be able to shut that down and take responsibility for it as I am regardless if I crash.

so using a ziplock and mini weights I think I figured the minimum weight to make AP2 stop complaining to touch the wheel. I’ll now build a piece to nicely hug the side of the steering wheel and sew it together.

Anyone ever tried a permanent solution that’s not a bottle of water or an orange to the steering column?

The way I see it’s my car, it’s a free country, I should be able to shut that down and take responsibility for it as I am regardless if I crash.
I heard a rumor that some people use adhesive wheel balancing lead weights on the back of the steering wheel spoke.

I looked around for a weight that wasn't doing anything in my car to fool the steering wheel. I found that, since my hand wasn't doing anything, I would use it.

Other people may be busy doing things with their hands, so it won't work for everyone.

I'm not finding it right now, but I remember seeing a purpose designed weight with rubberized coating offered for sale a month or two ago.

Personally, I don't find the current version of the nag to be that inconvenient - the pulsing screen easily captures my attention, and it's rare enough not to be really bothersome.

Reactions: Rafaelm

https://smile.amazon.com/Rolls-0-6m...d=1518221210&sr=8-2&keywords=lead+weight+tape

You need 12oz on the left or right side of the steering wheel.

9F3FE7B2-8724-4E7E-8691-64D29428F7F9.jpeg
Here’s my setup:

Curious what is that minimum weight?

I don’t need a nanny state like you because I’m already responsible for my actions so take your BS somewhere else.
Got it. Sounds like you don't really care about the lives and livelihoods of other folks who share the road with you. Maybe it'll take some of your friends and/or family to be seriously injured or killed by someone else who didn't care either for you to change your mind on this?

Glad you don't live anywhere near me.

Got it. Sounds like you don't really care about the lives and livelihoods of other folks who share the road with you. Maybe it'll take some of your friends and/or family to be seriously injured or killed by someone else who didn't care either for you to change your mind on this?

Glad you don't live anywhere near me.

You’re an special kind of dumb for making those jumps. I refuse further interactions with you.

Tell me that any of you that think this is total foolishness have not had your hand on the wheel, satisfying autopilot, but been totally distracted with something else rather than looking straight out ahead of your car. Then tell me if it is not possible to have some weight hanging on the wheel while fully paying attention to what is straight ahead of you, hands comfortably sitting in your lap ready to intervene when needed.

Personally, I have never used a weight on the wheel, but I do find it almost tiresome to have to hold pressure against the wheel on long distance drives. On any ICE car, just a couple fingers hanging at the bottom of the wheel are enough to give good control on long straight highways in rural areas out here in the Southwest. I'm not going to judge anyone on how they operate the autopilot system as long as they know the limitations. I think the thing is more dangerous with anyone engaging it on non-highway streets, than using a weight on long distance travel.

Tell me that any of you that think this is total foolishness have not had your hand on the wheel, satisfying autopilot, but been totally distracted with something else rather than looking straight out ahead of your car. Then tell me if it is not possible to have some weight hanging on the wheel while fully paying attention to what is straight ahead of you, hands comfortably sitting in your lap ready to intervene when needed.

Personally, I have never used a weight on the wheel, but I do find it almost tiresome to have to hold pressure against the wheel on long distance drives. On any ICE car, just a couple fingers hanging at the bottom of the wheel are enough to give good control on long straight highways in rural areas out here in the Southwest. I'm not going to judge anyone on how they operate the autopilot system as long as they know the limitations. I think the thing is more dangerous with anyone engaging it on non-highway streets, than using a weight on long distance travel.

Glad to see people w common sense. The hypocrisy was killing me.