TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Autopilot steering wheel hack

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by Rafaelm, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Rafaelm

Rafaelm Member

so using a ziplock and mini weights I think I figured the minimum weight to make AP2 stop complaining to touch the wheel. I’ll now build a piece to nicely hug the side of the steering wheel and sew it together.

Anyone ever tried a permanent solution that’s not a bottle of water or an orange to the steering column?

The way I see it’s my car, it’s a free country, I should be able to shut that down and take responsibility for it as I am regardless if I crash.

• Disagree x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I heard a rumor that some people use adhesive wheel balancing lead weights on the back of the steering wheel spoke.

I looked around for a weight that wasn't doing anything in my car to fool the steering wheel. I found that, since my hand wasn't doing anything, I would use it.

Other people may be busy doing things with their hands, so it won't work for everyone.

• Funny x 9
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

I'm not finding it right now, but I remember seeing a purpose designed weight with rubberized coating offered for sale a month or two ago.

Personally, I don't find the current version of the nag to be that inconvenient - the pulsing screen easily captures my attention, and it's rare enough not to be really bothersome.

• Like x 1
  4. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

https://smile.amazon.com/Rolls-0-6mm-Fishing-Sinkers-Tackle/dp/B06XBWHKNF/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518221210&sr=8-2&keywords=lead+weight+tape

You need 12oz on the left or right side of the steering wheel.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  5. tezzla

tezzla Member

9F3FE7B2-8724-4E7E-8691-64D29428F7F9.jpeg Here’s my setup:

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  6. sumitkgarg

sumitkgarg Member

Curious what is that minimum weight?

7. Unpilot

Unpilot Member

• Funny x 4
  8. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Yes, ignoring the people you crash INTO and possibly severely hurt or kill.

• Like x 8
  9. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I like it. Adjust the weight to find the minimum amount needed, and if (when) you overshoot, start over...

"But officer, that beer belongs to the Autopilot"
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 1
  10. Rafaelm

Rafaelm Member

I don’t need a nanny state like you because I’m already responsible for my actions so take your BS somewhere else.

• Disagree x 8
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  11. Nosken

Nosken Member

Would this "constant force" cause extra wear and tear on the servos or steering motors?

12. Rafaelm

Rafaelm Member

I would argue not because you’re “supposed” to always have your hands on the steering anyway”

And you want minimum weight in the event of disengagement not pull the steering too quick to one side

13. skhenry81

skhenry81 Member

You have the right to do what you want but this isn't smart. God Bless u!

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. Rafaelm

Rafaelm Member

It’s not like I’m gonna recline the seat and watch Harry Potter on iPad.

Wait, too soon?

• Disagree x 1
  15. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Got it. Sounds like you don't really care about the lives and livelihoods of other folks who share the road with you. Maybe it'll take some of your friends and/or family to be seriously injured or killed by someone else who didn't care either for you to change your mind on this?

Glad you don't live anywhere near me.

• Like x 1
  16. Rafaelm

Rafaelm Member

You’re an special kind of dumb for making those jumps. I refuse further interactions with you.

• Disagree x 5
  17. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

If you get into an accident while actively bypassing AP's safety features and other people and vehicles sharing the road with you are collateral damage...

18. agtdDelirium

agtdDelirium Member

Tell me that any of you that think this is total foolishness have not had your hand on the wheel, satisfying autopilot, but been totally distracted with something else rather than looking straight out ahead of your car. Then tell me if it is not possible to have some weight hanging on the wheel while fully paying attention to what is straight ahead of you, hands comfortably sitting in your lap ready to intervene when needed.

Personally, I have never used a weight on the wheel, but I do find it almost tiresome to have to hold pressure against the wheel on long distance drives. On any ICE car, just a couple fingers hanging at the bottom of the wheel are enough to give good control on long straight highways in rural areas out here in the Southwest. I'm not going to judge anyone on how they operate the autopilot system as long as they know the limitations. I think the thing is more dangerous with anyone engaging it on non-highway streets, than using a weight on long distance travel.

• Like x 5
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  19. Rafaelm

Rafaelm Member

Glad to see people w common sense. The hypocrisy was killing me.

• Love x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. Buddy

Buddy Member

You can have your hands on your lap and just lightly grab the steering wheel once every few minutes when the nag starts.

No need to hold your steering wheel the entire time.

Easier and nicer looking than gluig fishing weights to yoir steering wheel imo.

*not saying its what i do.

• Like x 1