Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot steering wheel hack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so using a ziplock and mini weights I think I figured the minimum weight to make AP2 stop complaining to touch the wheel. I’ll now build a piece to nicely hug the side of the steering wheel and sew it together.

Anyone ever tried a permanent solution that’s not a bottle of water or an orange to the steering column?

The way I see it’s my car, it’s a free country, I should be able to shut that down and take responsibility for it as I am regardless if I crash.
Hey. 2 pages into this thread, I got sick of the flame war from the holier than thou nanny state so I don't know if you got your question answered because I quit reading.

I started with an exercise wrist weight from Walmart and I took out some of the weights to figure out how much weight to use. At 11 oz, it will nag occasionally and at 11.5-12 oz it will almost never nag. I then bought a box of wheel weights (for balancing tires) from Amazon and stuck 11.5 oz to the back and bottom of the right steering wheel spoke (in place of of the wrist weight). Works perfectly and I barely notice them. Isn't enough weight to cause it to pull when not using autosteer so it's pretty much a seamless defeat for the nag.

The first box didn't have very good tape on them and I wound up buying another one. I've had it that way for about 2 years and almost 40k miles now with no issues. Drives me crazy when I'm in my wife's car and I have to keep my hand on the wheel (she also has a Model 3). It's also REALLY nice on road trips.

I think mine are 1/4 oz each because I wanted black painted weights and I couldn't find those in 1/2 or 1 oz. They were pretty cheap if I remember correctly. Should be easy to find with a little searching. Regardless of color, I'd highly recommend painted ones for cleanliness and no worries about rust, etc. I had to stack 2-3 layers of weights in most of the spots to get enough weight. Also, I cleaned the area really well with rubbing alcohol to help it stick.

I took them off briefly when I had my V3 computer installed. Wasn't sure if they would care but I didn't want to have the conversation and I wasn't sure if it would affect the calibration. Used a little Goo-Gone and you'd never know. So, once FSD is officially hands free, I can take them off with no damage.

Hey. 2 pages into this thread, I got sick of the flame war from the holier than thou nanny state so I don't know if you got your question answered because I quit reading.

I started with an exercise wrist weight from Walmart and I took out some of the weights to figure out how much weight to use. At 11 oz, it will nag occasionally and at 11.5-12 oz it will almost never nag. I then bought a box of wheel weights (for balancing tires) from Amazon and stuck 11.5 oz to the back and bottom of the right steering wheel spoke (in place of of the wrist weight). Works perfectly and I barely notice them. Isn't enough weight to cause it to pull when not using autosteer so it's pretty much a seamless defeat for the nag.

The first box didn't have very good tape on them and I wound up buying another one. I've had it that way for about 2 years and almost 40k miles now with no issues. Drives me crazy when I'm in my wife's car and I have to keep my hand on the wheel (she also has a Model 3). It's also REALLY nice on road trips.

I think mine are 1/4 oz each because I wanted black painted weights and I couldn't find those in 1/2 or 1 oz. They were pretty cheap if I remember correctly. Should be easy to find with a little searching. Regardless of color, I'd highly recommend painted ones for cleanliness and no worries about rust, etc. I had to stack 2-3 layers of weights in most of the spots to get enough weight. Also, I cleaned the area really well with rubbing alcohol to help it stick.

I took them off briefly when I had my V3 computer installed. Wasn't sure if they would care but I didn't want to have the conversation and I wasn't sure if it would affect the calibration. Used a little Goo-Gone and you'd never know. So, once FSD is officially hands free, I can take them off with no damage.

Thank you for being practical and not engaging into that pointless discussion. I think we're all old enough to drive, vote and drink (maybe?). And we're free to make our own decisions. Your technicality saved this thread and I salute you!

UPDATE I FOUND THIS :
Scuba Choice Black Vinyl Coated Diving Lead Weights, $16 CAD (12 USD)
you use a velcro tape from the dollar store, it goes behind the steering , velcro wraps around it, you wont even notice is there. I leave it there my wife doesn't even notice it. you can drive with it on.
1 pound, I weighed my hand and surprisingly it weighs 3 pounds .
It works perfectly!........(for all those critics of autopilot, just buy a nissan versa and get rid of tesla if you feel so unsafe)

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LZV2PV9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

as i mentioned above see the pics : perfect , elegant, cheap solution $12-16...autopilot weight
111111.jpg
222222.jpg

Thanks, I've seen that one. I'm wondering if you opened up the wheel if it could fit behind the left or right buttons, inside the wheel. I had to take the wheel in my last jeep apart and there was a good amount of free space inside it... haven't taken a tesla one apart.

Thanks, I've seen that one. I'm wondering if you opened up the wheel if it could fit behind the left or right buttons, inside the wheel. I had to take the wheel in my last jeep apart and there was a good amount of free space inside it... haven't taken a tesla one apart.

hmm. UNderstood. The constant (even slight) pull of the steering wheel when not using AP due to the weight, would bother me (OCD). But im all for to each his own as it relates to this overall topic.

NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE , and dont have any space inside to actually secure the counter weight,,you would need to drill holes in the steering, and modifying it,,but still not enought space behind the electronics,,,unplugging the airbag form the car may dissbale it , some airbag companies disable the airbag as soon as it is touched for security purposes.

Finally got some pics...
IMG_20201022_211726.jpg

IMG_20201022_211716.jpg

IMG_20201022_212047.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201022_211726.jpg
    IMG_20201022_211726.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 123
    IMG_20201022_211726.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 108