Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Still in Beta? Edmund's Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that it shows what we know is a huge improvement in the latest versions of AP. In the case of MS and MX it was in 2018.10.4.

Auto Steer will be in BETA until it is perfected is probably the answer he was looking for. I assume he knows that AP1 was released in 2014 but AP2 was released in late 2016.

That's pretty eye opening.

Edmunds criticism of Tesla charging $5,000 for a beta product that has serious safety concerns is a legitimate one.

I'm looking at it more like "subsidizing the cost of ongoing development"- Tesla opted to put the necessary hardware in every car, and I want to do my part to support that because I like where it's going. OTOH, I'm skeptical enough about FSD being ready or legal that I did *not* opt for the $3k subsidy on that one...

I'm looking at it more like "subsidizing the cost of ongoing development"- Tesla opted to put the necessary hardware in every car, and I want to do my part to support that because I like where it's going. OTOH, I'm skeptical enough about FSD being ready or legal that I did *not* opt for the $3k subsidy on that one...

Would it matter if you paid for FSD or not? Doesn't Tesla collect data from all cars regardless of whether someone paid for FSD? If no one paid for FSD, Tesla would still be collecting data the same amount of data compared to if EVERYone paid for FSD, right?

I don't get why people pay for FSD at all until it is actually deployed. Sure, it'll be $1k more expensive to activate it, but I bet that $3k invested will be worth more than $4k when FSD actually does get the green light.

itsnotabouttheoney said:
Car manufacturers charge much more than that for a care.

Your statement makes no sense. When you buy a car it is a beta product that has dangerous behavior?

I don't really agree. When Apple is adding exciting new features to their iOS software, I don't pay for the privilege of beta testing it... even if that feature eventually would carry a cost.

Tesla is in a cash crunch so I understand what they are doing, I just don't agree with it, especially when you watch their AP software do things like try to suicide by crossing over the center line @ 60mph with an oncoming semi truck in the other lane.

After seeing this video there's little doubt in my mind that this will wind up being used in whatever settlement negotiation happens for that poor SOB whose model x decided it was a good idea to drive into a concrete barricade thereby killing him.

I like how you think... it is a significant value proposition when the product continues to be refined/updated going forward. I, too, opted out of FSD... too many hurdles from now to when that feature can be released/legal... who knows how long it'll take.

Your statement makes no sense. When you buy a car it is a beta product that has dangerous behavior?

I don't really agree. When Apple is adding exciting new features to their iOS software, I don't pay for the privilege of beta testing it... even if that feature eventually would carry a cost.

Tesla is in a cash crunch so I understand what they are doing, I just don't agree with it, especially when you watch their AP software do things like try to suicide by crossing over the center line @ 60mph with an oncoming semi truck in the other lane.

After seeing this video there's little doubt in my mind that this will wind up being used in whatever settlement negotiation happens for that poor SOB whose model x decided it was a good idea to drive into a concrete barricade thereby killing him.
I see where you're coming from... but is there really a difference between what Tesla is doing and releasing a functional product and providing OTA updates?

I see where you're coming from... but is there really a difference between what Tesla is doing and releasing a functional product and providing OTA updates?

The closest analogy I can come up with would be if a company were the first to introduce anti lock brakes.... charged customers a premium for them, they weren't safe in all situations, but they promised that they would eventually get them working.

I think if Tesla wants customers to Beta test for them, and pay for the privilege then they should charge a subscription fee (say $50 or $100 per month) until they work the bugs out... then discount the cost of the service for those customers who literally put their safety at risk in order for Tesla to gather the data needed to improve the product.

I've worked in the software industry for 20+ years... For better or worse, this *is* the mentality when you have online update capability, even if nobody wants to admit it. Back when stuff got burned into ROMs and things were either completely non-serviceable in the field or required touching hardware to do it, there was much more of a "keep the requirements minimal and don't ship it until it works well" mentality. Since the advent of OTA updates, everything is pretty much in perpetual beta (see also games, operating systems, home automation). You can only hope that your vendor is fairly responsible about testing and doesn't go out of business while their last update was buggy.

I don't love it either (I've had *so* much trouble with Vizio's frequent buggy updates to my TV, for example), but it's pretty much the reality of connected devices that can self-update. Welcome to the future.

The closest analogy I can come up with would be if a company were the first to introduce anti lock brakes.... charged customers a premium for them, they weren't safe in all situations, but they promised that they would eventually get them working.

I think if Tesla wants customers to Beta test for them, and pay for the privilege then they should charge a subscription fee (say $50 or $100 per month) until they work the bugs out... then discount the cost of the service for those customers who literally put their safety at risk in order for Tesla to gather the data needed to improve the product.
Mercedes's Distronic Plus with Steering Assist, BMW's Active Cruise Control with Steering, Audi's Adaptive Cruise Control with Lane Keep Assist, etc... they're all features/technologies that are are not safe in all situations and will continue to be developed and improved... Tesla just provides OTA updates for "free" (aka "already priced in"). I supposed I think of it like I'm paying $5k for EAP Version 0.8 (arbitrary number) and will get Version 0.8.1... 0.8.2... 0.9.0... for "free".

Gmail was in beta for 5 years, even in beta status, it still destroys hotmail, yahoo, aol email...
I still remember it pushed the Email box capacity to 5GB instead of 5MB norm on other free services.
I personally don't care what name Tesla gives to Autopilot, as long as it works and keep updating.
If you plan to buy something absolutely perfect before release, try toyota.

Gmail was in beta for 5 years, even in beta status, it still destroys hotmail, yahoo, aol email...
I still remember it pushed the Email box capacity to 5GB instead of 5MB norm on other free services.
I personally don't care what name Tesla gives to Autopilot, as long as it works and keep updating.
If you plan to buy something absolutely perfect before release, try toyota.

Right but you didn't pay $5,000 for Gmail and still don't pay anything for it.

I've worked in the software industry for 20+ years... For better or worse, this *is* the mentality when you have online update capability, even if nobody wants to admit it. Back when stuff got burned into ROMs and things were either completely non-serviceable in the field or required touching hardware to do it, there was much more of a "keep the requirements minimal and don't ship it until it works well" mentality. Since the advent of OTA updates, everything is pretty much in perpetual beta (see also games, operating systems, home automation). You can only hope that your vendor is fairly responsible about testing and doesn't go out of business while their last update was buggy.

I don't love it either (I've had *so* much trouble with Vizio's frequent buggy updates to my TV, for example), but it's pretty much the reality of connected devices that can self-update. Welcome to the future.

But, as Tesla's co-founder liked to say, there's a fundamental difference between a software crash and a car crash.
Robin

Tesla is in a cash crunch so I understand what they are doing...
I'm sure Tesla is doing it for a variety of reasons. Because people are wiling to pay for it, because people find it useful, but mostly I think it is because there is really no better way to get millions of miles of real world data and use cases.

discount the cost of the service for those customers who literally put their safety at risk in order for Tesla to gather the data needed to improve the product.
If used properly with a hand on the wheel and monitoring the car, and the road it shouldn't be any less safe than driving without it. In fact the NHTSA found that, used properly, autopilot is 40% safer.

Reactions: Richg
Right but you didn't pay $5,000 for Gmail and still don't pay anything for it.

Going back to my gaming days, I could volunteer to become a beta tester for games for FREE so that we could report bugs to the software company before they released the final version. Some people are even PAID to be beta testers.

But customers PAY Tesla to do beta testing for them. How things have changed.
AP should really be free until the final version is released IMO.