TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Autopilot Swerves on double lane marking

Discussion in 'Model X' started by aagosh, May 19, 2019.

1. aagosh

aagosh Member

I noticed that Autopilot on my 2018 MX100D (2019.12.1.2) sometimes gets confused between white lane marking and orange overlays (due to construction). Today while driving on Zurich-St. Gallen Highway I noticed this was continuous and the car was continuously swerving left and right mildly. Looks like Autopilot was getting confused about the lane markers and continuously trying to keep the car in the middle.

2. TiggerTime

TiggerTime Member

Yes it was confused. Construction areas are not the best place to let AP do the driving specially where lane markings have been changed but old markings are still visible. Humans have trouble enough following them at times so AP not surprising has just as much an issue knowing where to go. Safest thing is in those situation take control and don't push AP beyond the stated limitations of the system. Your safety and the cars around you as well as the workers in the construction area depend on it.

3. aagosh

aagosh Member

Agree Tiggertime, this was only to highlight the potential issue in the AP software and suggest not to overly rely on it. I usually dont use AP on construction roads at all - it has issues with speed limits as well.