Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot swerving on freeway with distinct lane markings!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sometimes i notice that autopilot swerves alot within the laneback and forth and is unnerving to say the least. at times, i actually rides on the line of one side of the lane markings! i know this has been discussed before, but is there any resolution to this? anyone else experience this? other times, autopilot works well and stays still in the middle of the lane.

it was not raining or bad weather when i experienced this.

are the sensors obstructed in any way? was the sun at an angle that it blinded the camera? are there rubber marks on the pavement that are confusing the sensors?
people need to know that this AP feature is NOT autonomous driving, AP is an assist to driving and it is only a beta. stay alert and focused and be ready to take over at any time.

Yes I have seen the same thing. At times I think I might side swipe someone and can be nerve racking. Nature of the beast I guess.

sometimes i notice that autopilot swerves alot within the laneback and forth and is unnerving to say the least. at times, i actually rides on the line of one side of the lane markings! i know this has been discussed before, but is there any resolution to this? anyone else experience this? other times, autopilot works well and stays still in the middle of the lane.

I found this can happen on white pavement as the white reflectors and or lines don't have a stark contrasting background. Unfortunately, a lot of the freeways here are like that as we have some of the newer infrastructure for that stuff.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
are the sensors obstructed in any way? was the sun at an angle that it blinded the camera? are there rubber marks on the pavement that are confusing the sensors?
people need to know that this AP feature is NOT autonomous driving, AP is an assist to driving and it is only a beta. stay alert and focused and be ready to take over at any time.

no sensors werent blocked, mild sun out, was a bit overcast, was a well paved freeway in dallas with no curves, just straight away.

Also watch out for cyclists. I was letting AP do the driving today and there was a slow moving bike rider... car didn't even slow down. I was expecting it, so it wasn't a big deal and just took control... but if I wasn't paying attention, the car would have plastered the bike all over the side of the road.

I noticed this driving down the 405 at 1 am in the morning last night. Little to no cars on the freeway, clear lane markings, straight roadway, and fully illuminated by headlights. I was in the carpool lane and the car would randomly swerve out of the lane into the left shoulder and would correct itself after about 3-5 seconds. It did this twice on a 25 minute drive, both times the lanes were clearly visible. And it also swerved within its own lane as well for no apparent reason.

Also watch out for cyclists. I was letting AP do the driving today and there was a slow moving bike rider... car didn't even slow down. I was expecting it, so it wasn't a big deal and just took control... but if I wasn't paying attention, the car would have plastered the bike all over the side of the road.
read the instructions, it says something to the effect that objects like a bicycle might not be detected. those same instructions warn you to remain alert and to maintain the ability to take over control in an instant.

• Disagree
Reactions: dhanson865

My guess is that it either does this to make sure you are still awake or it wants a clearer picture of lane markings either to the left or right to send to Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
My car has swerved into the lane next to me twice when a truck was in the path. I think my car hates pickups! I've sent the dashcam video to Tesla asking why its doing this. The first time was a couple months back and they never answered. I probably won't get an answer this time either but we need to keep telling Tesla that autopilot needs to be fixed. Tesla tells you not to trust it and be ready to take over at any moment, but what's the use of having autopilot if you can't relax and let the car drive? To me its not doing its job as advertised (on ramp to off ramp).

• Informative
Reactions: M0DEL³
Electricfan, that one's easy. Your slight swerve doesn't surprise me at all. It happened at the crest of a slight hill, where the apparent curvature of the lines from the camera's perspective cause it to turn a bit. Has absolutely nothing to do with the truck. Check the truck in the lane to your right, ahead of you. See how it lurches over the crest of the hill? That's the hill that caused your swerve. (It seems to level out pretty abruptly).

Can be improved, but shouldn't at all be unexpected. In current versions, the car always wants to swerve a bit at the top of a hill, unless you're following a car that it can use for additional guidance.

I've got to say that in the last month or two, I have had zero unexpected swerve events. Autopilot is solid and very predicatable. Yes, there are cases where it gets a little iffy, but for me have they have been 100% predictable. And I drive about 60 miles on autopilot per day, on a mix of highway, city, and rural roads.

(It seems to level out pretty abruptly).

I may not be on the same page with you on the "level out pretty abruptly". Do you mean the road levels out? Or the car comes back into the lane? Because the car coming back into the lane was me grabbing the wheel to keep it from hitting the truck. My car would have rammed the truck if I had not grabbed the wheel - IF it continued on its leftward path. MAYBE it would have righted itself. I can't know that. But I sure wasn't going to let it go any further toward the truck to find out!!

PSA: The AP allowing you to "relax" shouldn't include you enjoying a novel or magazine. J/S.

Not with today's "autopilot", I agree. But when I bought the car autopilot had not been released yet. I thought "autopilot" meant what lots of people on the forum today are referring to as "autonomous", and that I would indeed be able to read and let the car take me to my destination. Tesla advertised "from on-ramp to off-ramp" and that is what I bought. I didn't get it. What we have is "from on-ramp to off-ramp have both hands on the steering wheel and be ready to take over at any moment". If Tesla had advertised that I would NOT have traded my 2013 for a 2015. Autopilot sucks, as it is right now. I know most are elated with autopilot, and I'm certainly happy for them. But I have a right to say I didn't get what I was sold, because that is my opinion. I also think autopilot is going to cause an accident. If I had hit the truck Tesla would have blamed me. I would have blamed autopilot, but I'm sure Tesla's lawyers would have outgunned me in court. But if somebody dies in an accident where the autopilot steered the Model S into another car, I want to hear Tesla argue that "our car controlled the steering, brakes and accelerator but is not responsible for driving into the other vehicle" - the jury isn't going to buy it when a life is lost, I don't think. But when that much money is at stake, Tesla's lawyers will have formidable opponents going for the big payday, so the court fight will be fair. What I really hope, though, is that Tesla puts out autopilot 2.0 and our cars no longer swerve for any reason, and that autopilot is as safe or safer than a human driver. That certainly is what I thought I was buying.

No, I'm saying the roadway levels out pretty quickly. In other words, instead of a small rolling hill, it's an incline that levels out quickly. Notice that before you crest the bump, the lane markings in the distance are not very visible (if at all).

Cresting hills is one of about 5 scenarios that I suggested Tesla ought to work on improving next when it comes to Autosteer. Frankly, I think it would perform better if it just held course for a second when cresting a hill, instead of doing the hunting it does now.

• Informative
Reactions: Electricfan