Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot swerving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you know if the phantom breaking is HW specific? That one has me a little shook, and I usually disengage AP if someone gets to close behind me because of it.
Phantom braking also happens with HW 3.0. Don't know if it's more often, less often, harder, softer... none of the details, just that yes I do get phantom braking with HW 3.

Occasionally, I'll get swerving between the lines in a lane, but it doesn't happen often and usually only for a couple of miles.

• Informative
Reactions: DrtyJrze
Do you know if the phantom breaking is HW specific? That one has me a little shook, and I usually disengage AP if someone gets to close behind me because of it.
I honestly am not sure if it is or isn’t but I was not amused at the SC’s response to a clear cut safety issue. I had this same issue on a Hyundai Sonata PHEV with dynamic cruise control a couple of years ago and I felt like they took it a lot more seriously.

My autopilot turned into a joke about 8 months ago when NOA was introduced here in the U.K.

I have a hunch that this version made the car more aware of other vehicles. I noticed with autopilot on and even with NOA off the car veers slightly when passing other cars. This veering can me minimal or very pronounced. It would be enough to make the passengers feel sick at best or wake them from sleep at worst.

Additionally and separate from above, here in the U.K. we have a new European rule that states any lane changes must be cancelled if it is not completed within 5 seconds. The consequence of this is you indicate to change lanes and halfway between the lane chance the car violently swerves back into the original lane. This happens on 30-40% of all lane changes. It’s downright bloody dangerous.

S with HW2.

I use autopilot all the time and it used to be nigh on perfect. Now is it a dangerous horrible mess here in the U.K.

Last week I test drove a 3 with HW3 (I assume) and it did not exhibit the lane ping ponging although the lane change rules still apply it seemed to rarely happen because the car was more confident in its driving.

"No officer, I have not been drinking. It is my autopilot that is swerving all over the place."

You laugh, I actually got pulled over once for exactly that. Well, that was his excuse anyway. He actually pulled me over for driving fast, but he couldn't clock me so he pulled me over for swerving in my lane. I didn't tell him it was the car and not me.

That actually brings up an interesting point. Swerving within the lane is not a violation. But it could indicate impairment, so they can stop you for that. But if the car is driving, there's nothing to indicate YOU might be impaired as opposed to the car. lol Once these things are common they may have to find another reason to stop you for no reason.

Cops don't have to clock you to pull you over for speeding. They can definitely pull you over for observing that you're speeding.

Really? They use their bionic eye to say you were speeding??? I can only report what the guy told me. I told him he didn't need to tell me all that (he went into great detail and I just wanted to cut to the chase) but he insisted he did. He only mentioned the "pulling away fast" after his formal announcement of why he pulled me over.

So if a cop pulls someone over for observing their speeding, what then? A verbal warning not to do it again? Else what? Cops don't waste their time doing pointless things. They do have real work to do.