Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot swerving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I honestly am not sure if it is or isn’t but I was not amused at the SC’s response to a clear cut safety issue. I had this same issue on a Hyundai Sonata PHEV with dynamic cruise control a couple of years ago and I felt like they took it a lot more seriously.

Im not happy with the current state of the software either, but what do you expect the random SC rep to tell you? They’re not the lead programmer of the software, and even if they were, it’s clear that the problem is more complex than a simple bug fix, else a hot fix would surely have already been rolled out to everyone right now.

“Known issue” is literally all the SC can possibly tell you. Actually, what he/she could have told you as well would be, “if you don’t like it, don’t engage it and drive the car yourself” :p

Is hw 2.x that bad?
I have hw 3 and the car seems going straight. But my hands on steer wheel can feel minor ping pong. I thought that’s how they “sense” the resistance to see if your hands are on the steering wheel. Like if the steering doesn’t move, it can’t sense resistance.

Is hw 2.x that bad?
I have hw 3 and the car seems going straight. But my hands on steer wheel can feel minor ping pong. I thought that’s how they “sense” the resistance to see if your hands are on the steering wheel. Like if the steering doesn’t move, it can’t sense resistance.

My S HW2.5 is terrible. It never used to be before the NOA update a few months ago.

If so that’s a pretty crappy way to measure it.
Yea. I was surprise it does that too on the first day I tried AP. But that’s just my guess. Since the car knows where the lanes are all the time, there’s no need to ping pong. A simple feedback system from second year electrical engineering from university can keep the car smoothly in the middle. hopefully Tesla doesn’t hire interns to code.

My S HW2.5 is terrible. It never used to be before the NOA update a few months ago.
So it’s confirmed to be software related then? Or maybe 2.x computer chip is a bit slow so it has less sampling rate hence react a bit slower but higher in magnitude??
Correct me if I’m wrong. Hw3.0 is the first hardware that uses Jim Keller’s chip?

My AP 2.5 also started to ping pong on highway after the last 2 updates.

AP was working flawlessly prior to the last 2 updates.

I hope Tesla can undo whatever was changed, Bc the car swerves so much now, even when the road is relatively straight, it’s ridiculous

How do I let Tesla know about this issue?

I think when navigate on autopilot got introduced some kind of lane aware system was introduced so when there is something in the lane the car can swerve around it.

Problem is the car now tends to swerve in the lane even when safely passing other cars.

For me on my HW2 S this swerving can be quite alarming. At best it’s very uncomfortable. In my car autopilot is pretty much unusable now.