Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot swings wide after last update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car updated last week (don’t have the update version in front of me, but it was the first “2022.xxx.xxx” that I’ve had). After the update it seems like the car swings a lot wider through interstate corners on auto pilot. It’s quite unnerving when I’m in the left lane next to a concrete barrier or next to a semi that’s nearing my lane. Multiple times I’ve taken control because I’m uncomfortable.

It seems to start turning very late, which is even more concerning on winter roads that likely have less grip due to loose salt or ice patches.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it in my head?

For reference, I’ve been making the same commute using autopilot since early December, I was initially a little tentative, but learned to trust it - but my current discomfort is very recent.

Need version to go further with this with people who are the same update and can comment.

I'll say that AP and FSD beta are not "snow aware" so I'm extra careful using them during the winter due to it just ignoring ice, salty water puddles and slick road conditions.

However, I'm impressed with how FSD beta handles mounds of snow at street corners, that are covering curbs, crosswalks and in the street slightly and does go around them when making turns.

Need version to go further with this with people who are the same update and can comment.

I'll say that AP and FSD beta are not "snow aware" so I'm extra careful using them during the winter due to it just ignoring ice, salty water puddles and slick road conditions.

However, I'm impressed with how FSD beta handles mounds of snow at street corners, that are covering curbs, crosswalks and in the street slightly and does go around them when making turns.
I just checked, I’m on version 2022.4.5

2022.4.5 Noticed the same thing - especially on right hand curves. Nearly straddles the center line.
Yes, the right corners seem to be the unnerving ones. Not sure if that’s because of my vantage from the drivers seat that allows me to see the truck/ barrier walk, or if it’s really only the right corners that are worse.

There is a section on my commute that is under construction, and the lanes are narrower, it seems the worst in areas with atypically narrow lanes.

Again, that wasn’t the case a few weeks ago - at least that I’d noticed.

I can confirm I observed the same on a drive to Yosemite this past weekend. When the road curved right, the car would get dangerously close to the center divider and the oncoming traffic and I had to take control. When manually steering, if there is a decent shoulder on the right side, I would stay a bit closer to the right lane marker than to the center divider. The Tesla did the opposite.