Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot system acting weird on 2020.20.12?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, a disclaimer that I haven't experienced this personally, but only 2nd hand from my mom. But since the 2020.20.12 update apparently our model 3 (with FSD and HW3) has been behaving weirdly.

Yesterday, the car (in autopilot) changed 2 lanes at once while on the freeway (which it normally handles really well, and has for ages).

She also said it did a weird maneuver of starting to change lanes, then returning to it's lane halfway through the process, but that might have been prompted by another car in that lane, so I'm less concerned about that.

But the particularly weird thing happened today, where she was driving on the freeway, not in autopilot, when the car started warning her to "take control immediately" as it does when in autopilot and the system is confused, but she wasn't in autopilot (or even TACC), and it wasn't a weird situation, but simply driving along on the freeway. It didn't seem to be warning her about gaining on the car ahead of her or anything, apparently, just was suddenly panicked, despite autopilot not being active.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with a recent version, or have a good explanation for the sudden odd behavior from the normally very reliable autopilot system?