Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot / TACC and Merging Traffic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been using TACC and Autopilot while on the highway during my commute to/from work. When in the right lane and there is traffic merging from the access road, it seems my M3 does a pretty poor job of letting them merge in. This has often caused me to have to hit the breaks as it seems my M3 would end up bumping the read number of the margins car.

It's almost as if there is a blind spot for my M3 for cars that are at my 1 O'clock. Position. What's everyone else's experience in this situation? I'm running 2019.40.2 right now

Thanks.

The car will react to the situation.
Remember though, it is not your job to merge, it is the other cars job
I dont disagree with you there and most of the time if the "merger" would actually fill the gap quickly there wouldn't be a problem. However, since they typically doesn't happen, it seems this is something that needs to be solved if Tesla really wants autonomous driving. Right now I feel strongly that AutoPilot would have hit the bumper of 2 cars in two different merging situations.

I dont disagree with you there and most of the time if the "merger" would actually fill the gap quickly there wouldn't be a problem. However, since they typically doesn't happen, it seems this is something that needs to be solved if Tesla really wants autonomous driving. Right now I feel strongly that AutoPilot would have hit the bumper of 2 cars in two different merging situations.

What's weird is that the car is so hesitant to stop pacing the car in front of it even after it leaves the lane but it's also hesitant to pace a new car that is entering the lane in my experience.