Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot: "Take over immediately" then disengages

Elon conspiracy?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since the last nag update, I've had multiple times where I'm on AutoPilot and an alert that says "Take over immediately" followed by loud repetitive beeping comes up. Whenever that happens, AutoPilot disengages on its own instantly.

I'm on 2018.21.9 and this only started happening to me this week (5 times already). This has only happened outside of highways on streets where AutoPilot gets confused, which isn't a problem for me since I always have both hands on the wheel at all times when not on highways. For example, a street with heavy traffic where a lane to turn left appears. Before this update, I noticed AutoPilot would struggle to behave properly. Now, it appears to give up immediately just like me at the gym. I'd take a photo but, you know, hands on wheel and all.

Has this been happening often to anyone else? Could it maybe be an Elon conspiracy to keep our hands on the wheel at all times? Is it the Russians?

05-elon-musk-twitter.w710.h473.2x.jpg

Ever since the last nag update, I've had multiple times where I'm on AutoPilot and an alert that says "Take over immediately" followed by loud repetitive beeping comes up. Whenever that happens, AutoPilot disengages on its own instantly.

I'm on 2018.21.9 and this only started happening to me this week (5 times already). This has only happened outside of highways on streets where AutoPilot gets confused, which isn't a problem for me since I always have both hands on the wheel at all times when not on highways. For example, a street with heavy traffic where a lane to turn left appears. Before this update, I noticed AutoPilot would struggle to behave properly. Now, it appears to give up immediately just like me at the gym. I'd take a photo but, you know, hands on wheel and all.

Has this been happening often to anyone else? Could it maybe be an Elon conspiracy to keep our hands on the wheel at all times? Is it the Russians?

View attachment 311449

Well, since you're apparently not using it where it's currently intended to be used... I'd say it's "working as intended" ;)

This is probably a bad idea to disengage AP automatically.
I've been driving a loaner model S and noticed that when you switch off AP when a though situation is about to happen it takes an extra second to understand what the car is doing and take over the driving functions. But at least you know AP will be turned off to handle the situation.
If it does it automatically that would be scary!

Reactions: Pkmmte
Where is conspiracy? By the time you crash the car, the logs will show autopilot was not engaged, so can't blame it anymore.
Sooo... you're saying it's the Russians?

Try harder

GoPro.png
You're a genius!! :eek:

Well, since you're apparently not using it where it's currently intended to be used... I'd say it's "working as intended" ;)
But... but... then how am I supposed to help Elon teach AutoPilot? D:

If you have a shirt pocket you can stick your phone in there to record. A lot of phones stick out enough for the camera lens to clear the pocket. Might not be the best angle, but should be enough to show what you’re talking about.
That's actually a good idea. I may try that. I was surprised to see no one else having reported this.

This is probably a bad idea to disengage AP automatically.
I've been driving a loaner model S and noticed that when you switch off AP when a though situation is about to happen it takes an extra second to understand what the car is doing and take over the driving functions. But at least you know AP will be turned off to handle the situation.
If it does it automatically that would be scary!
Yeah, that's what I was thinking and the main reason I posted this. It'd be scary if this happened on the highway, where people like to keep their hands off the wheel. It's easy to tell AutoPilot is misbehaving if it's ping ponging and stuff. Having it shut off automatically would be unexpected and dangerous.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: voip-ninja
It's collecting data (response times, intervals between alarm annunciation and snoring cessation, etc) to prove that human drivers are pitiful, inadequate and need immediate replacing by trusted, swift and uber-competent automated systems.
Remember, it will be for your own safety.
Robin

That's not a conspiracy, that's Autopilot being better at knowing it's not confident rather than just behaving wildly!

Indeed ever since 2018.10.4 and especially in 2018.21.9, AP2 is a lot more ready to throw TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY alarms when it encounters unusual situations.

Examples I've seen include all lane lines disappearing, hitting a very violent bump like driving over train tracks, or one lane splitting into two and AP finding itself straddling a lane marker.

Before in those situations, it would "think" it knows what it's doing and then suddenly make a wild steering change. Now, it's much more prone to just throw an alarm and give control back to you.

Until it can actually figure out sensible things to do in these scenarios, this seems like the right thing to do.

Really the only complaint I can see (as someone who has yet to own / drive a Tesla so my opinion isn't really well founded) is that they should clearly communicate that they're going to throw those warnings / disengagements more often and when they do they MEAN IT. Instead of being like "Hey, you know, if you could just take over... whenever you feel up to it"