Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Takes Curves Dangerously?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I'm curious if others experience this with AP. When I'm at highway speeds, I notice that AP tends to take curves wide, riding either the divider line, or the ditch. This is particularly problematic on a number of California two lane highways; in some instances when testing safely, I noticed that it went over the dividing line and hit the rumble strips. This wasn't on crazy curves either. It's been this way for the whole time I've had my 21 M3LR, over a year.

Anyone else feel like AP doesn't know how to take a line into a curve?

Lane "centering" is an interesting problem to solve. I get a bit frustrated with FSD Beta driving either too close to parked cars on neighborhood/25 MPH streets, moving into the gutter for right turns (WTF!), and yes occasionally non-FSD Autopilot struggles with non-constant radius road curves. That said, nighttime drives on 2-lane mountain pass roads (US 40 Berthoud pass near Winter Park, CO--attached) with FSD Beta are fantastic. With each iteration of software the car drives itself more purposefully. The driver assistance has a long ways to go to be fully autonomous, but what Tesla cars can do now (especially with FSD Beta) is amazing. Last year I could not use autopilot on this 2 lane mountain road. Now with FSD Beta, intervention is rare on this curvy road.

If you have a problematic road section, try decreasing speed to the speed limit, and see if the car is more capable at the road's rated speed.

Attachments

• US40_Berthoud_Pass.JPG
    US40_Berthoud_Pass.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Helpful
Reactions: mangrove79
I have issues with FSD beta taking right hand reduced speed curves a bit too wide and crossing the double-yellow line. I've never had the car cross the right hand fog line on a reduced speed left turn.

Hey everyone, I'm curious if others experience this with AP. When I'm at highway speeds, I notice that AP tends to take curves wide, riding either the divider line, or the ditch. This is particularly problematic on a number of California two lane highways; in some instances when testing safely, I noticed that it went over the dividing line and hit the rumble strips. This wasn't on crazy curves either. It's been this way for the whole time I've had my 21 M3LR, over a year.

Anyone else feel like AP doesn't know how to take a line into a curve?
Check your settings, as a suggestion. You may have your set speed too high above the speed limit?