Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot team size? How is it organized? Any guesses?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To the engineers out there - anyone care to weigh in with a rough guess as to how many engineers Tesla has working on Autopilot at a given time? I assume there is some number past which adding people does not increase the rate of progress. I'm not thinking of support staff (ie the person who drives the car around a test track to gather data for cameras) - but actual engineers, team managers, computer scientist/research types etc.

I think you're asking about what I'd call the core team for the AP software. I'd expect a small core team, around 3-9 engineers. That makes for efficient intra-team communication. Then there may be other teams that use their work to build related features. For example the engineer(s) working on AEB don't have to be on the core AP team. Nor do the engineer(s) working on the UI for AP.

I'd expect another core team for AP hardware, but either a bit smaller or perhaps not as specialized on AP work.

Reactions: JPUConn
To the engineers out there - anyone care to weigh in with a rough guess as to how many engineers Tesla has working on Autopilot at a given time? I assume there is some number past which adding people does not increase the rate of progress. I'm not thinking of support staff (ie the person who drives the car around a test track to gather data for cameras) - but actual engineers, team managers, computer scientist/research types etc.

I think there is one. And he's out a lot.