Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot testing hardware spotted at Grants Pass SC

e-FTW

New electron smell
Aug 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
Last week, while on a road trip with my wife from San Francisco to Seattle in my soon-to-be disapeared ICE car, I kind of just happened to stop in Grants Pass. No reason...
Three cars were charging: one with a note in a window asking to call the owner if you need the spot, an 85 and a P85.
The 85 attracted my attention because of how much curb rash the dark grey 21-inch turbine wheels had. Those are some very good looking wheels, but those four examples were badly abused. I could not believe an owner would do that to his wheels! I had never seen that much on any car.
Then I figured out why, when something yellow caught my eye inside the car (sorry for the reflections). See a few posts below:

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

e-FTW

New electron smell
Aug 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
Here are the pics. Sorry about the size; I wanted you guys to be able pick apart what you see here:

- I see no clear soft drink preference
- Not sure about the design of that emergency button... ;)

20859165675_c3484844bf_k.jpg

20671103530_f6d1dfceff_z.jpg

20671479080_9ac00a5d01_k.jpg

20672409879_c44e8167dd_k.jpg

20236553484_860f5f9103_k.jpg

Last edited:

wk057

Vendor & Senior Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
Hickory, NC, USA
Gotta love the big red button.

So you mean you just went snapping pics of the inside of this car? I hope something external at least gave away that it was a test car beforehand... lol.

Edit: nm, guess I should read the whole post before commenting in the future. :p

Last edited:

Canuck

Nov 30, 2013
South Surrey, BC
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

The 85 attracted my attention because of how much curb rash the dark grey 21-inch turbine wheels had. Those are some very good looking wheels, but those four examples were badly abused. I could not believe an owner would do that to his wheels! I had never seen that much on any car.

Did you take any pictures of them? It would be interesting to see how much they scraped them up, presumably testing the parallel parking.

ecarfan

Sep 21, 2013
West Vancouver, British Columbia
So I'm not clear on what those pictures show. A Model S with a bunch of wiring coming out from below the center screen and some odd looking stuff on the inside of the windshield near the rear view mirror. And that means what?
Did the car have manufacturer plates?

e-FTW

New electron smell
Aug 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
So I'm not clear on what those pictures show. A Model S with a bunch of wiring coming out from below the center screen and some odd looking stuff on the inside of the windshield near the rear view mirror. And that means what?
Did the car have manufacturer plates?
I did not notice the plates like I should have. I did notice the laptop in the passenger footwell, that seems connected to the car via some of that wiring. Plus the extra hardware you see.
Am making an assumption based on those items, plus location and what I previously mentioned.

I doubt this was a security researcher/engineer/enterprising owner testing out his haxing skills in the wilds of Oregon. I may be wrong though!

thegruf

Mar 24, 2015
indeterminate
...The 85 attracted my attention because of how much curb rash the dark grey 21-inch turbine wheels had.

okay this is a development car, but who is going to foot the bill when you use autopilot to parallel park the car and it trashes your alloys or pinches the sidewall of your tire?
Can autopilot be 100% successful in avoiding this scenario?

tom66

Dec 17, 2013
United Kingdom
I find it interesting that the development/prototype cars are above base spec - this one has leather seats and carbon fibre trim. I wonder if these are cancelled customer cars which have been reassigned. I'd otherwise expect Tesla to build them to minimum spec. (assuming that the carbon trim isn't actually cheaper than obleche, etc.)

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC