Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot, the on-board hard drive and big data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Johan

Ex got M3 in the divorce, waiting for EU Model Y!
Feb 9, 2012
Drammen, Norway
Initially The model S was marketed with i'm on board hard drive that would be accessible to the owner to store for example music. Later these statements were retracted and there hasn't been much mention of the on board hard drive in the last year and a half.

Now with the advent of autopilot and firmware seven, I'm thinking that perhaps the onboard hard drive is now used to store a continuous data flow from all the cameras and sensors. Later for example while the car is parked and charging the onboard computers me proceed to analyze and compress this data, and then upload it to Tesla central servers for further processing. If this is done over Wi-Fi you're saving a lot of mobile band width.

I think the stream of data while driving from all sensors and cameras is actually quite heavy and it's unlikely that the car is continuously sending all this data wirelessly to the mothership. However, it could make sense to store the data streams locally on the hard drive.

What do you all think about this?