Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Tips & Best Practices (Post Yours)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
everything that is necessary to know can be found in the manual.
the cardinal rule is to not think of it as autopilot
think of it as driver's assist
be alert and ready to assume manual control at any moment and realize that despite how long and how many people have driven many miles using AP, AP is not suited for every road you'll encounter.

Did you guys watch the video? @kort677 - Pretty sure he was clear that it is driver assist. @boaterva - are you only talking about the velcro strips or the video? Please explain why the video is why we have some of the nags we have now? To me the video was being responsible to help get the most use from Tesla Autopilot if you were comparing to the New Cadillac Super Cruise which uses a camera to determine if you are alert. I like using Autopilot and was wondering how I can be more comfortable while at the same time ready to take control. I plan to tryout his approach on my test ride.

Reactions: BLKTSLA
Tough crowd!
Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 12.21.33 PM.png

Did you guys watch the video? @kort677 - Pretty sure he was clear that it is driver assist. @boaterva - are you only talking about the velcro strips or the video? Please explain why the video is why we have some of the nags we have now? To me the video was being responsible to help get the most use from Tesla Autopilot if you were comparing to the New Cadillac Super Cruise which uses a camera to determine if you are alert. I like using Autopilot and was wondering how I can be more comfortable while at the same time ready to take control. I plan to tryout his approach on my test ride.
you are a newbie, so you cannot be blamed for your lack of insights. all I will offer is to do a lot of searching, using nhtsa as a starting point you'll have hours of reading that will help you understand what we are babbling about.

He was clearly talking about my Velcro strips post.

Back onto subject:

1) Kind of agree with the video, I prefer to hold the top part of the steering wheel though as I can respond quickly and firmly when I need to take over. I can also counter the auto-steering if it tries too hard to negotiate an exit ramp or to hug one side of the lane too much.
2) posts #2 and #3 already sum it up, but again: RTFM and also read the disclaimer before accepting to participate in BETA of autopilot
3) autopilot is not replacing you as a driver, it is there assist you and to minimize the fatigue on the long stretches of the road (as it does great job keeping in the center of the lane on well-marked roads)
4) last but not least, YOU are ultimately responsible for driving the vehicle. Just like the plane pilot is responsible for safely landing the flying machine.

Reactions: kort677