Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot trial popup - very intrusive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife yesterday said she had this pop-up that would not let her drive her TM3.
She was ready to drive and this big window popped up asking to "enable something". She clicked small "No Thank You" twice and it still would not go away and not let her drive.
So she clicked yes and enabled something. She ended up enabling the pestering autopilot popup.
My wife does not care about autopilot, but clicking once NO should be enough to allow my wife to drive.
Tesla - please do not make autopilot trial a pestering browser pop-up. Clicking once gets the message across.
So I had to go and disable the trial without trying autopilot for a single second - because next pup up in a month would have been click yes to pay in full - and my wife would have clicked to just drive her car.
I would love to try autopilot myself - but this intrusive Autopilot trial popup is unacceptable.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
The ability to read a popup and make a decision is important for the model 3 driver. If she is unable or unwilling to do this and will just start clicking to drive, this car may not be a good fit for her.

Well - my wife had our newborn strapped in going to get her 1st sets of shots done. Lets just say she was not in the mood of reading and making decisions. She does not know what autopilot is.
So clicking once NO should be enough to get back the normal screen and to drive.

My wife yesterday said she had this pop-up that would not let her drive her TM3.
She was ready to drive and this big window popped up asking to "enable something". She clicked small "No Thank You" twice and it still would not go away and not let her drive.
So she clicked yes and enabled something. She ended up enabling the pestering autopilot popup.
My wife does not care about autopilot, but clicking once NO should be enough to allow my wife to drive.
Tesla - please do not make autopilot trial a pestering browser pop-up. Clicking once gets the message across.
So I had to go and disable the trial without trying autopilot for a single second - because next pup up in a month would have been click yes to pay in full - and my wife would have clicked to just drive her car.
I would love to try autopilot myself - but this intrusive Autopilot trial popup is unacceptable.
I agree. A simple NO twice should be more than enough to let you get off the trial screen. But I was able to drive the car without pressing anything. I didn't want to click yes yet because I will be out of town over the Thanksgiving holidays so I won't be driving to experience autopilot.

Reactions: samotlietuvis
Just got my Model 3 over a week ago and interested in the new 30 day autopilot trial promotion. However, I don't see the offer on the screen (no pop ups showing up either) in any of the menus, and not on my app or account website. Anyone know where to find and opt in on the trial period?

It should be an opt-in from your phone app, not an opt-out popup on your car screen.

This is bad ui design in that it forces a decision of major consequence on you at a moment in time where you are not previously aware that decision will have to be made and are likely otherwise mentally engaged...
- and sure, growing up in gang territory in the Central Valley and East LA moments like that were my life... and then being in the military moments like that were my life...

but that is hardly logic for a good UI...
In fact it is a strong argument against. It is how people end up making bad decisions.

Yesterday, on the way to my doctor's appointment, saw this popup when I got into the car and started it:

"EAP Trial Software Is Being Installed. Place Car In Park And Do Not Press The Brake. This may take a few minutes."

Sat there for "a few minutes" in Park and foot off the brake, but there was no end in sight, and NO WAY to stop/cancel the persistent installation popup message. Finally, I started the car and drove off, with the popup present on the screen overlaying everything else throughout the 30-minute drive. Because of the ever-present popup, I could not see the dimmed out navigation maps. Upon reaching my destination, I put the car into Park and went in to see the doctor. When I came back and started the car, there was no sign of any popup or installed EAP Trial. WTF!

Update this morning: EAP got installed overnight and I Enabled the 30-day trial.

I agree, the pop-up initial trial offer was annoying and I also didn't have time but I said "yes" just to get it off the screen so I could get to work. I figured I had 30 days so no problem-- I'll try it later when I have more time.

(I was doubly annoyed since I'd only had the car TWO days when I got the offer-- didnt even had time to discovery drive it yet..)

Anyway... I tried it one day and was like "Oh it's cute --but I'll never really need it so after my 30 days I'll never think about it again.."

WRONG!!!!..

Cut to crying college daughter calling from a dark free-way last night!! Had to take our first road trip. We needed to drive 4 hrs one way--( plus charging) to rescue our stranded darling whose (stupid ICE) car broke down on the highway. We didn't even have a full charge -so also got to experience Supercharging.

That auto pilot SAVED MY LIFE!!! it was a blessing in disguise. We started driving at 7 pm and finally got back home at 6 am.. drove all night thru all types of roads- tired as crap-- and had it not been for Autopilot I wouldn't have been able to do it. Everything is wonderful but the self- steering feature that kept me in my lane as I couldn't see straight anymore was PRICELESS! The feature to keep aware and touch the wheel every few seconds, (I would just scroll the music volume knob once) KEPT ME AWAKE! I kid you not, that drive wouldn't have happened without autopilot.

Seriously, it was a much safer drive. It's like having your driving instructor right there beside you with a safety net. One back road where autopilot didn't work, I realized how tired my eyes and arms were and realized when I had to take over steering that I was basically useless. I was too tired to keep inside my lanes and was weaving like a drunk. Normally we would have pulled over and gotten a motel. I had only one hour to go and Tesla saved us and got us home safely.

It's priceless and I will be buying it -no questions asked. My family is worth it.

Don't sweat or swear at the pop-up. Just say "yes" and try it when you have an hour.

Reactions: noicepls
I haven't purchased it yet... still dealing with the blown engine on the bad bad bad ice car... but I believe it said you can purchase it right from your car screen. I'm guessing as the trial end nears they will send another notification. I'm also waiting on a refund from Tesla to put towards it. Funny.. my pick -up day we sat waiting and on the SC screen we played around and "ordered" my exact car and SURPRISE!.. it's now cheaper by a few thousand dollars. I was told I'd get the difference!! I haven't seen it yet but it seems they try hard to do the right thing. That's been my experience so far.