TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AutoPilot trial, well it is a disappointment

Discussion in 'Model S' started by trm2, Aug 14, 2018.

1. trm2

trm2 Member

I got in my car this morning and had a popup (sorry, never thought to take a picture) indicating my trial started now. I basically had three choices:

1. Ignore popup and drive the car without radio and backup camera (possibly other stuff?)
    2. Decline the trial outright.
    3. Start trial RIGHT NOW, just in time for me to leave my car at the airport.

Why can't we select when it starts (within a reasonable time)? I guess I'll try it for a few miles and continue to not purchase it. I won't have the opportunity to do more than a joy ride.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Because the trial is for "this day to this day", not for "this many days".

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
  3. trm2

trm2 Member

Yep, like I said, disappointing.

• Like x 2
  4. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

This whole thing can be avoided if Tesla simply had a "Start Trial" button in the settings for non-AP vehicles and it ran for 14 days.

• Like x 5
  5. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

this thread was a bigger disappointment.

• Funny x 31
    • Like x 23
    • Love x 5
  6. RayW

RayW Member

I got the popup this morning, nearly peed my pants as I poked “start the trial”, got on the highway hoping to experience the joys of Autopilot, then received the “Autopilot ain’t gonna work until you get your sensors manually calibrated” message… and old-school cruise control now gives the same message…. and first available SC appointment is next week, a few days before the trial ends.
    So yes, a bit disappointing. :(

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  7. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

lmao

• Funny x 3
  8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Time to tweet.

9. whitex

whitex Active Member

It makes sense if the intent is for you to have a complete AutoPilot experience, not just the fun parts. :p

• Funny x 13
    • Like x 2
  10. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

When you take it in for calibration, you can likely ask hem to extend the trial for 14 days at that time. I don’t see any reason why they won’t grant that to you as it doesn’t cost them a thing and autopilot can be turned on or off remotely by them anyway at anytime.

11. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

The implementation of the trial might be pretty terrible due to these issues pointed out in this thread, but I think we have to be grateful there is even a trial.

Having a trial means AP2 is finally not an embarrassment.

12. whitex

whitex Active Member

Or it means that it's reached most of its potential, there is no more wow features coming to it.

13. ZAKEEUS

ZAKEEUS Member

After 6 days, I have no idea why anyone would pay $6,000 for it. Instead of holding the steering wheel, I’m now hold the steering wheel in a slightly different way. It also requires more of you when you are traveling on a straight highway, since you have to apply pressure to the wheel when you normally wouldn’t. It’s a cool feature, but Tesla should have waited until it was further along before doing the free trial if they wanted to get people to order it.

14. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

It is still mindboggling that Tesla would offer a free EAP experience on the heels of the much touted and trumpeted from a high VERSION 9 coming in what just a few weeks.

Tesla autopilot free over the air autopilot trials

Why would you introduce to new people an outdated inferior product to tease someone with if the version 9 is REALLY going to be all that has been prognosticated and would surely win more purchasers?

Something tells that V9 will be extremely late...6 months maybe....12 months possibly...18 months definitely and not anything close to what we were "promisetold"

The facts don't add up. Which is by the way typical and not surprising.

• Like x 8
    • Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  15. Kuro68k

Kuro68k Member

So you are saying that Tesla spammed your car... I'd sue. ;)

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  16. crmartin9

crmartin9 Member

I agree with Zakeeus' comments. I was fortunate that the timing of the trial coincided with a planned roundtrip to Baltimore last weekend. I was really looking forward to using it but was tremendously disappointed with the experience. The only feature that was somewhat useful to me was the adaptive cruise control but even that had some warts. The whole autosteer thing made driving more stressful for me, not less. I don't think I'd even pay $1000 for EAP, forget $6000. While the Autopilot experience was disappointing, I am appreciative of the trial for giving me the opportunity to validate my decision to pass on the package when buying the car.

• Informative x 5
    • Like x 1
  17. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

And that is exactly my point two posts above!!!!!

18. RayW

RayW Member

I always thought the EAP capabilities should be offered as a pay-per-mile service. Something like this:

TACC: 5 cents/mile
    Autosteer/Autolane Change: 7 cents/mile
    FSD: 8 cents/mile
    Summons/Autopark: 50 cents each use

I basically spread the EAP & FSD costs over 40K miles of use.

Of course Tesla could go “Uber” on us and have dynamic pricing based on traffic.

19. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

#19 bhzmark, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    False.

Lots of people who have lots of miles on AP feel the exact opposite. I guess some people will just not get it. I feel sorry for them -- like people who don't want to give up their fliphone or blackberry.

• Love x 10
    • Like x 1
  20. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

"It also requires more of you when you are traveling on a straight highway, since you have to apply pressure to the wheel when you normally wouldn’t."

I disagree with the "False" Long straight stretches of highway, my daily commute, DO require more "light force" than keeping the car straight without autosteer. If yours doesn't then your car probably needs an alignment

• Like x 6