Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot trial, well it is a disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

trm2

Apr 3, 2016
CLE
I got in my car this morning and had a popup (sorry, never thought to take a picture) indicating my trial started now. I basically had three choices:

1. Ignore popup and drive the car without radio and backup camera (possibly other stuff?)
  2. Decline the trial outright.
  3. Start trial RIGHT NOW, just in time for me to leave my car at the airport.

Why can't we select when it starts (within a reasonable time)? I guess I'll try it for a few miles and continue to not purchase it. I won't have the opportunity to do more than a joy ride.

I got the popup this morning, nearly peed my pants as I poked “start the trial”, got on the highway hoping to experience the joys of Autopilot, then received the “Autopilot ain’t gonna work until you get your sensors manually calibrated” message… and old-school cruise control now gives the same message…. and first available SC appointment is next week, a few days before the trial ends.
So yes, a bit disappointing. :(

I got the popup this morning, nearly peed my pants as I poked “start the trial”, got on the highway hoping to experience the joys of Autopilot, then received the “Autopilot ain’t gonna work until you get your sensors manually calibrated” message… and old-school cruise control now gives the same message…. and first available SC appointment is next week, a few days before the trial ends.

Time to tweet.

It makes sense if the intent is for you to have a complete AutoPilot experience, not just the fun parts. :p

When you take it in for calibration, you can likely ask hem to extend the trial for 14 days at that time. I don’t see any reason why they won’t grant that to you as it doesn’t cost them a thing and autopilot can be turned on or off remotely by them anyway at anytime.

After 6 days, I have no idea why anyone would pay $6,000 for it. Instead of holding the steering wheel, I’m now hold the steering wheel in a slightly different way. It also requires more of you when you are traveling on a straight highway, since you have to apply pressure to the wheel when you normally wouldn’t. It’s a cool feature, but Tesla should have waited until it was further along before doing the free trial if they wanted to get people to order it.

It is still mindboggling that Tesla would offer a free EAP experience on the heels of the much touted and trumpeted from a high VERSION 9 coming in what just a few weeks.

Tesla autopilot free over the air autopilot trials

Why would you introduce to new people an outdated inferior product to tease someone with if the version 9 is REALLY going to be all that has been prognosticated and would surely win more purchasers?

Something tells that V9 will be extremely late...6 months maybe....12 months possibly...18 months definitely and not anything close to what we were "promisetold"

The facts don't add up. Which is by the way typical and not surprising.

I agree with Zakeeus' comments. I was fortunate that the timing of the trial coincided with a planned roundtrip to Baltimore last weekend. I was really looking forward to using it but was tremendously disappointed with the experience. The only feature that was somewhat useful to me was the adaptive cruise control but even that had some warts. The whole autosteer thing made driving more stressful for me, not less. I don't think I'd even pay $1000 for EAP, forget $6000. While the Autopilot experience was disappointing, I am appreciative of the trial for giving me the opportunity to validate my decision to pass on the package when buying the car.

I agree with Zakeeus' comments. I was fortunate that the timing of the trial coincided with a planned roundtrip to Baltimore last weekend. I was really looking forward to using it but was tremendously disappointed with the experience. The only feature that was somewhat useful to me was the adaptive cruise control but even that had some warts. The whole autosteer thing made driving more stressful for me, not less. I don't think I'd even pay $1000 for EAP, forget $6000. While the Autopilot experience was disappointing, I am appreciative of the trial for giving me the opportunity to validate my decision to pass on the package when buying the car.

And that is exactly my point two posts above!!!!!

I always thought the EAP capabilities should be offered as a pay-per-mile service. Something like this:

TACC: 5 cents/mile
Autosteer/Autolane Change: 7 cents/mile
FSD: 8 cents/mile
Summons/Autopark: 50 cents each use

I basically spread the EAP & FSD costs over 40K miles of use.

Of course Tesla could go “Uber” on us and have dynamic pricing based on traffic.

requires more of you when you are traveling on a straight highway

False.

The whole autosteer thing made driving more stressful for me

Lots of people who have lots of miles on AP feel the exact opposite. I guess some people will just not get it. I feel sorry for them -- like people who don't want to give up their fliphone or blackberry.

Last edited:
"It also requires more of you when you are traveling on a straight highway, since you have to apply pressure to the wheel when you normally wouldn’t."

I disagree with the "False" Long straight stretches of highway, my daily commute, DO require more "light force" than keeping the car straight without autosteer. If yours doesn't then your car probably needs an alignment