Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot trial, well it is a disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 6 days, I have no idea why anyone would pay $6,000 for it. Instead of holding the steering wheel, I’m now hold the steering wheel in a slightly different way. It also requires more of you when you are traveling on a straight highway, since you have to apply pressure to the wheel when you normally wouldn’t. It’s a cool feature, but Tesla should have waited until it was further along before doing the free trial if they wanted to get people to order it.
Ugh, this thread is painful. It's like the shorts smell blood and have unleashed the Russian bots. Dear Lord. No offense to the OP who sounds just disappointed but it's negative nancy day on TMC.

Anecdotal evidence is not "empirical truth"...whether it be in support of or opposed to a held belief. It is a common fallacy to misconstrue anecdotal evidence as data: posts here do not count as proof of a conclusion.

Sample size of the entire forum over many years of AP usage is more representative than the much smaller sample size of handful of luddites in this thread. The broader sample size is good evidence of the fact that AP makes driving easier.

But glad to see that someone was paying. attention in their critical thinking class in h.s. at least long enough to remember to the use the word "fallacy" if not much else.

It is still mindboggling that Tesla would offer a free EAP experience on the heels of the much touted and trumpeted from a high VERSION 9 coming in what just a few weeks.

Tesla autopilot free over the air autopilot trials

Why would you introduce to new people an outdated inferior product to tease someone with if the version 9 is REALLY going to be all that has been prognosticated and would surely win more purchasers?

Something tells that V9 will be extremely late...6 months maybe....12 months possibly...18 months definitely and not anything close to what we were "promisetold"

The facts don't add up. Which is by the way typical and not surprising.

I think the fact you have wrong is that v9 will include EAP in any completeness. I believe what Elon said is that it will be the basis to roll out EAP/FSD. Yes, there might be some new feature (on ramp/off ramp or auto lane change?) with the initial rollout but far from complete and probably far from something they would want to push to everyone. Elon may be off on his timeline for many things, but he's usually pegged version releases pretty well.

I think the fact you have wrong is that v9 will include EAP in any completeness. I believe what Elon said is that it will be the basis to roll out EAP/FSD. Yes, there might be some new feature (on ramp/off ramp or auto lane change?) with the initial rollout but far from complete and probably far from something they would want to push to everyone. Elon may be off on his timeline for many things, but he's usually pegged version releases pretty well.
In other words...another disappointment. Go read Elon’s tweets. You are ready into them not reading them. Have some more KoolAid while you are perusing.

Sample size of the entire forum over many years of AP usage is more representative than the much smaller sample size of handful of luddites in this thread. The broader sample size is good evidence of the fact that AP makes driving easier.

But glad to see that someone was paying. attention in their critical thinking class in h.s. at least long enough to remember to the use the word "fallacy" if not much else.

I've never taught a high school course in argumentation. If you'd like an undergraduate-level instructional regarding the 6 instances of 5 different fallacies in the above post, or a graduate-level instructional regarding fallacy in the execution of the scientific method, speak to me privately.

I got the popup this morning, nearly peed my pants as I poked “start the trial”, got on the highway hoping to experience the joys of Autopilot, then received the “Autopilot ain’t gonna work until you get your sensors manually calibrated” message… and old-school cruise control now gives the same message…. and first available SC appointment is next week, a few days before the trial ends.
So yes, a bit disappointing. :(
you cheep car folks got NOTHIN' on us late 2016 AP2 purchasers. Cuz many of us - (that already had AP1) within the last couple months are finally starting to feel like it's practically on par w/ AP1 ... almost.
;)

Advanced features reduce Model S claims
I've never taught a high school course in argumentation. If you'd like an undergraduate-level instructional regarding the 6 instances of 5 different fallacies in the above post, or a graduate-level instructional regarding fallacy in the execution of the scientific method, speak to me privately.
:rolleyes:
If you have something helpful and intelligent to contribute to the issue in this thread do so but posturing as a frustrated grad student isn't a good substitute for having something relevant to say.

The fact is that the large majority of people in this forum who find AP useful and less burdensome, and actually a pleasurable delight is persuasive. And it suggests that people who don't get the benefits of AP are missing something that others are getting -- and they might benefit from trying a little harder to understand that they are missing something that lots of others get.

Angry luddites who hide behind laughably inapposite pedantry are not persuasive.

Last edited:
you cheep car folks got NOTHIN' on us late 2016 AP2 purchasers. Cuz many of us - (that already had AP1) within the last couple months are finally starting to feel like it's practically on par w/ AP1 ... almost.
;)

I got mine during that awkward AP1 -> AP2 transition period. Test drove an AP1 car and loved it, ordered an AP2 car but skipped the EAP because there was no SW yet and really didn’t believe Elon’s delivery dates.

Since then I’ve been using my homegrown autopilot system which utilizes natural intelligence algorithms based upon 3-months of supervised learning followed by 35 years of unsupervised learning. Accident avoidance has never failed although I have had some issues with the self-navigation.

Advanced features reduce Model S claims

:rolleyes:
If you have something helpful and intelligent to contribute to the issue in this thread do so but posturing as a frustrated grad student isn't a good substitute for having something relevant to say.

The fact is that the large majority of people in this forum who find AP useful and less burdensome, and actually a pleasurable delight is persuasive. And it suggests that people who don't get the benefits of AP are missing something that others are getting -- and they might benefit from trying a little harder to understand that they are missing that lots of others get.

Angry luddites who hide behind laughably inapposite pedantry are not persuasive.
Dammmmmn son! He just went Bertram Russell on your ass! You was all, “your maxim is bogus yo! “
And he was all, “oh yeah, your mom thinks my maxim was adequate during the last phase when the moon was in apogee, maybe that’s why she looks all wide all the time”

And he was all, “time ain’t nothing but a dream yo, we ain’t even here!”

And then he was all, “get out of my face with your fourth grade intellectualism, some of us are trying to think up in here!”

Man it was awesome!

Ugh, this thread is painful. It's like the shorts smell blood and have unleashed the Russian bots. Dear Lord. No offense to the OP who sounds just disappointed but it's negative nancy day on TMC.
You sound more like the bot since you didn’t address anything I said. AP requires me to apply more force to the wheel to go straight than regular cruise control. That is fact, I didn’t just suddenly start holding the wheel differently. I don’t feel like I’m being negative, the feature just doesn’t have a lot of value as it currently is IMO.

Reactions: boonedocks
Guys, it's all good. We are all different people with different desires and wants. It's ok for someone to want and love autopilot and it's also ok for someone to not want it enough to buy it. Different strokes for different folks. There's no right or wrong. Some people bought their Teslas because of the autopilot features and that's fine and dandy. Others bought it for other reasons, such as great driving experience, saving the environment, etc.

There's no reason for someone who loves autopilot to disparage someone who doesn't by saying "They just don't get it!" or "They are too stupid to realize the value". Nor is there any reason for someone who didn't buy it to say "Why would you pay so much for such a useless feature" or "You got gipped into paying for a feature that still doesn't work properly"

Just enjoy your Tesla for the reasons you bought it and let live...

Reactions: Brian's ReX
True, no need to divide into tribal camps, as we are so often egged on to do by our 'betters'.

But the fact is that the majority of us find Ap unusable practically now with these nags. We all understand why Tesla is doing this, to assuage NHTSA at a delicate time in the development of self-driving, and this egregiously frequent nagging may only be temporary. And the fact is this is the only tool Tesla has right now.

Personally I am not tolerating it and they have forced me to root and disable the nags. But being big on privacy, I say the nags have it all over GM's monitoring driver behavior. Screw that. Never a GM for me. My car is my car if I've paid for it.

I got in my car this morning and had a popup (sorry, never thought to take a picture) indicating my trial started now. I basically had three choices:

1. Ignore popup and drive the car without radio and backup camera (possibly other stuff?)
  2. Decline the trial outright.
  3. Start trial RIGHT NOW, just in time for me to leave my car at the airport.

Why can't we select when it starts (within a reasonable time)? I guess I'll try it for a few miles and continue to not purchase it. I won't have the opportunity to do more than a joy ride.
Agree that starting a trial should be on the customer's terms, not Tesla's. How hard is it for Tesla to add a trial button to the settings and enable AP for 14 days from when you hit that button? Another example of Tesla's rather brain dead approach to software.

You sound more like the bot since you didn’t address anything I said. AP requires me to apply more force to the wheel to go straight than regular cruise control. That is fact, I didn’t just suddenly start holding the wheel differently. I don’t feel like I’m being negative, the feature just doesn’t have a lot of value as it currently is IMO.
You need to try harder... put on some Cyndi Lauper and let loose

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
True, no need to divide into tribal camps, as we are so often egged on to do by our 'betters'.

But the fact is that the majority of us find Ap unusable practically now with these nags. We all understand why Tesla is doing this, to assuage NHTSA at a delicate time in the development of self-driving, and this egregiously frequent nagging may only be temporary. And the fact is this is the only tool Tesla has right now.

Personally I am not tolerating it and they have forced me to root and disable the nags. But being big on privacy, I say the nags have it all over GM's monitoring driver behavior. Screw that. Never a GM for me. My car is my car if I've paid for it.

no the majority still find AP usable. especially this guy.

Reactions: P85_DA and bhzmark