Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot trying to kill me in V9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I initially posted that autopilot seemed to be behaving about the same as it did in V8 on local roads (have yet to test it out on the highway), with the exception that it does a much better job of handling slowing down for red lights. This remains true, with the exception that it's now tried to kill me 3 times, on the same road that I drive to work several times per week. I got a recording on the dash cam of one time when it did it.
The first time, I attributed it to a car that was about to turn right onto the road possibly being a bit in my lane (although I didn't remember the car being in my lane), causing the autopilot to think it was going to avoid a collision. However, the next time it happened, I was just driving along the road going straight, without any other cars in the area, and without any reason for the car to try to take evasive maneuvers. There were no upcoming turns and the lines were perfectly clear without interruption. The final time, which I've attached video of, I was coming up to an area where cars can turn onto the road, but there weren't any cars in the way, there were cars ahead making things very easy to follow, and the road is very clearly marked ahead. The swerve occurs at around 33 seconds.

I've driven this road for years with autopilot and I can't remember a single time it's done anything like this. However, it's now done it 3 times on V9 autopilot. Unless Tesla has come up with a dangerous way to assure you're paying attention, I can't figure any reason that this would be happening.

Really??? You think you would have died? What an embarrassing headline. Looks like it’s responding to the break in the center yellow line. It’s just software, not magic. I think you’re crazy for using it in on a road like that. Stick to divided highways.
I am not sure it's only center line break. He should send request-complain to Tesla. It is one of those border cases when combination of usual factors provides crazy reaction.

You should not be using autosteer on a road without a center divider.
Warning: Autosteer is intended for use
only on highways and limited-access
roads with a fully attentive driver. When
using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel
and be mindful of road conditions and
surrounding traffic. Do not use Autosteer
on city streets, in construction zones, or
in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians
may be present. Never depend on
Autosteer to determine an appropriate
driving path. Always be prepared to take
immediate action. Failure to follow these
instructions could cause damage, serious
injury or death.

Last edited:
My Tesla is a 2016. I'd never use autopilot through an intersection. I use it almost exclusively on divided highways.
This wasn’t any sort of major intersection that it failed on. It was literally just a 20’ break in the center line and it dove for it on a straight road only doing 40 mph. It has also been diving for any turn lane opening. Hard to believe FSD is in the near future.

As an airline pilot and military pilot, I’ve flown the F-18, B-737/757/767, A320, C130 and more.

Everyone of those airplanes has an autopilot, everyone of them has “tried to kill me” (I.e. did something wrong or that I didn’t want, wasn’t expecting). You know what you do in those cases? Turn it off and hand fly it. It’s not autonomous, they’re aids to the pilot/driver for workload management/relief but you never stop watching it.

I love everyone who was to comment that autopilot isn't made for local roads when somebody post a video. Everytime.

I think its fine to use on local roads, but only knowing that its going to strange things occasionally and that I really need to be vigilant and ready to take over.
When on limited access highways I typically hold the steering wheel with one hand to avoid nags, but I definitely hold on with 2 hands ready to take over when on local roads. Overall V9 seems to be the most stable yet when driving on local roads. It is much better at navigating twisty sections and blind crests without running off the road.

Its fine to post here when strange behavior comes up as a PSA to others so we know what to look out for, but the drama that its trying to kill you is not really necessary. Be aware that AP has limitations... either be ready for them, or don't use it.

Last edited:
How will FSD ever learn to drive on these roads if we don’t use it on them? Their statement is for liability purposes, but I’m sure Tesla loves our driving data we’ve been collecting for free on the roads they say we shouldn’t use it on.
Don't know if it is automatic on all cars at all time, but I know that our Tesla's will operate in 'ghost mode' even when EAP is not activated. Meaning that they are using all camera's and sensors to learn the road at all time and improve the neural network ;)
This is one of the main strength Tesla have on the competition for collecting driving data and improving its AI.

Bloody swell. Reading threads like this means that I need to be extra vigilant for oncoming Teslas on two-way roads or through intersections because they may be making use of AutoPilot inappropriately and their car may suddenly swerve into my lane unexpectedly. Whether they react in time to correct or whether I have enough time or room to the right to react will be a matter of luck.

While I already encounter other drivers drifting out of their lanes at times, it’s not exactly encouraging to know that some folk will be testing their attentiveness and reaction times with software that may make sudden moves like this. Lovely.