Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot trying to kill me in V9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bloody swell. Reading threads like this means that I need to be extra vigilant for oncoming Teslas on two-way roads or through intersections because they may be making use of AutoPilot inappropriately and their car may suddenly swerve into my lane unexpectedly. Whether they react in time to correct or whether I have enough time or room to the right to react will be a matter of luck.

While I already encounter other drivers drifting out of their lanes at times, it’s not exactly encouraging to know that some folk will be testing their attentiveness and reaction times with software that may make sudden moves like this. Lovely.

Oh calm down... You have far more to worry about with people texting, shaving, doing their nails, sleeping, etc...

Jeff

Dave. I’m going to kill you Dave.

iu

I think there is an algorithm change in V9 on lane centering. Before, when I use AP on the freeway, if there is a merging lane on the right, AP will immediately move to the right to stay in the center of the lane even though it is at the merge point of the 2 lanes. Now it seems to stick more closely to the left lane line. Maybe this new following left painted line algorithm causes OP's car to sway to the left when left line has an opening.

Reactions: UncaNed
Bloody swell. Reading threads like this means that I need to be extra vigilant for oncoming Teslas on two-way roads or through intersections because they may be making use of AutoPilot inappropriately and their car may suddenly swerve into my lane unexpectedly. Whether they react in time to correct or whether I have enough time or room to the right to react will be a matter of luck.

Don't worry. You're far more likely to be hit by a Tesla driver who turned off AutoPilot while forcing a lane change and forgot to turn it on before doing something on the touchscreen.

Why doesn't Tesla geofence AP so that in only works on the roads it says AP should only be used on?

Think about it: Do you REALLY want more rules on where and when we can and can't use the features of our car?

I've got an idea. Let's all use COMMON SENSE and LOGIC instead of throttling the features or making new laws.

Does anyone enjoy not being able to have our copilot punch in a navigational waypoint in our Toyota(not picking on Toyota... Feel free to insert any brand you like, but Tesla...) while it's moving? This is simply a result of the manufacturer being sued by some duma$$ who crashed while being irresponsible with the features of their car.

One of the biggest points that sold me on Tesla was the fact that I have access to ALL of the features of my car whether moving it's or not. Tesla treats me like a responsible adult. In this case, it should NOT take a Village. It takes common sense...... If we all used it we could eliminate half the frivolous, illogical rules and laws in this country!

-mic drop-

This just happened to me twice today and twice yesterday! I'm so happy I found your video.

I think the point of the OP, which is also my point, is that the new V9 is far worse for THIS particular situation. It's great and I LOVE it. But seriously I have been using AP on these types of roads for a year and no issues really.

All 4 of my occurrences happened in same exact situation. Break of lines and swerve to oncoming traffic. One where a truck had to go on shoulder and I barely managed to swerve back in my lane.

Please stop with the stupid posts of only using it on hiway. It works so well on almost all roads. But you do have to be more vigilant on smaller roads. But this new swerving is crazy.

Anyone else had this since upgrade to V9?

This just happened to me twice today and twice yesterday! I'm so happy I found your video.

I think the point of the OP, which is also my point, is that the new V9 is far worse for THIS particular situation. It's great and I LOVE it. But seriously I have been using AP on these types of roads for a year and no issues really.

All 4 of my occurrences happened in same exact situation. Break of lines and swerve to oncoming traffic. One where a truck had to go on shoulder and I barely managed to swerve back in my lane.

Please stop with the stupid posts of only using it on hiway. It works so well on almost all roads. But you do have to be more vigilant on smaller roads. But this new swerving is crazy.

Anyone else had this since upgrade to V9?

Did you upgrade to 18.42 yet?

In any case, if you know AP is not working as expected on local roads - report it to Tesla and stop using it.

• Informative
Reactions: Nilnoc and neroden
I initially posted that autopilot seemed to be behaving about the same as it did in V8 on local roads (have yet to test it out on the highway), with the exception that it does a much better job of handling slowing down for red lights. This remains true, with the exception that it's now tried to kill me 3 times, on the same road that I drive to work several times per week. I got a recording on the dash cam of one time when it did it.
The first time, I attributed it to a car that was about to turn right onto the road possibly being a bit in my lane (although I didn't remember the car being in my lane), causing the autopilot to think it was going to avoid a collision. However, the next time it happened, I was just driving along the road going straight, without any other cars in the area, and without any reason for the car to try to take evasive maneuvers. There were no upcoming turns and the lines were perfectly clear without interruption. The final time, which I've attached video of, I was coming up to an area where cars can turn onto the road, but there weren't any cars in the way, there were cars ahead making things very easy to follow, and the road is very clearly marked ahead. The swerve occurs at around 33 seconds.

I've driven this road for years with autopilot and I can't remember a single time it's done anything like this. However, it's now done it 3 times on V9 autopilot. Unless Tesla has come up with a dangerous way to assure you're paying attention, I can't figure any reason that this would be happening.

Psh. Autopilot has been trying to kill me since AP1 and yet I'm still here. V9 doesn't scare me; bring it on.

But yes, I've had a similiar situation. It happened twice on the same road and hasn't happened since. Not sure if the computer learned the correct behavior.

Reactions: Bogobec
Yes, I'm still alive. I'm not going to address the people commenting that it should only be used on highways. Completely disagree with that idea, and there are many long, straight roads where autopilot is ideal. You're not going to convince me, and I probably won't convince you, so I'm just going to keep it at that.

To those saying I should keep my hands on the wheel and/or pay attention - the car did not steer itself back into the proper lane and avoid the oncoming traffic - I did! However, no matter where your hands are, when the car suddenly decides to swerve, takes a second to realize what just happened and correct.

I have been driving on this road for 2 years, and it has not once had this behavior before V9. It's done it at least 4 times since then though.

Yes, I'm still alive. I'm not going to address the people commenting that it should only be used on highways. Completely disagree with that idea, and there are many long, straight roads where autopilot is ideal. You're not going to convince me, and I probably won't convince you, so I'm just going to keep it at that.

To those saying I should keep my hands on the wheel and/or pay attention - the car did not steer itself back into the proper lane and avoid the oncoming traffic - I did! However, no matter where your hands are, when the car suddenly decides to swerve, takes a second to realize what just happened and correct.

I have been driving on this road for 2 years, and it has not once had this behavior before V9. It's done it at least 4 times since then though.

So, how many times do you plan on swerving into oncoming traffic before you stop using AP in this particular section of the road? :)