Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot trying to kill me in V9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the drawback with neural network technology as it is with today's tools. Your network is only as good as the data you train it on.

And doing iterative improvements is hard, because you don't go in and just change a line of code and the problem is gone. You need to add data to your model. And the process of fixing one edge scenario by filling in missing data at one place could bias your network away from another case of missing data, that was previously working by chance.

Neural networks is still pretty new science, and even though we have come pretty far, we're still early adapting this technology. It's like the C era back in the 90s were bugs and BSODs were pretty common. Then the tools became better, we got better programming languages (C#, Java mm), better practices, and the overall quality of the applications became much better. Neural networks are still at a stage where a lot of the development is actually making the proper tools (ref Karpathy's recent video presentation).

I'm not surprised bugs like these show up. It's inevitable at this point of development. But it will become better.

(and AP wont kill you if you don't trust it and keep hands on the wheel)

Stop over protecting Tesla. The title is confusing, but it should be fixed. Report about it to them.

It is potentially very dangerous, and worse than that that if something really bad happens an army of Internet idiots will start yelling that you always should pay an attention instead of helping to solve this problem. Yeah you should, but AP was made to remove some stress and attention from the driving process, didn't it?

Last edited:
Stop over protecting Tesla. The title is confusing, but it should be fixed. Report about it to them.
Nobody is over-protecting Tesla. Autopilot (and not to mention Full Self Drive) is a ridiculously hard problem to solve. Expecting the solution made by the programmers to have zero real world problems the first years, is just a little bit unrealistic, don't you think?

Obviously this problem must be fixed, but there will still be hundreds of thousand similar bugs too that we don't know about now, that will show up over the next years. Iterating the underlying architecture addressing multiple scenarios is probably the best way to get there, which COULD mean new bugs like this will show up or that it takes a while to address. Again speaking as a programmer, not an ideal world idealist.

Better hold that steering wheel and pay attention to the road for a while longer. :)

Reactions: K3Man and rush6410
@Plan B . Please clarify what we're the circumstances. Very vague.

It's silly NOT to use all the time. It works very well just need to pay more attention in certain areas.

But ur missing the key! It was working on this and these type of small back roads perfectly for a year and then just regressed.

@bayx . Not helpful. That is obvious. Of coarse I reported it to tesla. Many many times via the bug report feature.

Mine did that multiple times on the freeway with no loss of lines. I also, I personally would not be using any AP version on a back road like that.
Just out of curiosity, did your car not read the lines; blue solid line indicator on the display go away or swerve out from center. I have never had my car inadvertently maneuver when it was reading the line correctly. It has only maneuvered when I have witnessed the blue lines dropping regardless of the actual line conditions. In other words, the car is responding to the input from the sensors. One issue would point towards a software bug, the other would point to a hardware problem.

Sorry had to repost. SORRY. Here's the working link.

Wow! I am big fan of AP and have defended almost every other situation that it did something odd, because i can understand why it did it, and so i will avoid those situations.

But this one leaves me scratching my head. I am still in pre V9, and this has never happened to me any time. In fact it drives perfectly fine even in large Xns where there are no lines at all, even on curvy ones which is amazing. I betcha my Model 3 with the last update on April will drive perfectly fine in that situation.

This kind of regression is simply mind boggling. Sorry Tesla, this is utter crap.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
@Electroman i agree man. Pre V9 it did this well. And even now there are much longer yellow line breaks where it's fine. So freaking weird! And mad dangerous!

@rush6410 . I don't know. Wasn't paying attention but looking at video. It's reading blue lines well.

I'll pay attention next time. I drive the road almost daily. Weird thing it does NOT do it in opposite direction.

Reactions: K3Man
@Plan B . Please clarify what we're the circumstances. Very vague.

It's silly NOT to use all the time. It works very well just need to pay more attention in certain areas.

But ur missing the key! It was working on this and these type of small back roads perfectly for a year and then just regressed.

@bayx . Not helpful. That is obvious. Of coarse I reported it to tesla. Many many times via the bug report feature.

Crazy that even after you reported it, it's still not fixed! It would be worth tweeting this to Elon and Tesla, plus email video link and this thread's link to customer support to get their attention.

Wow, based on this video alone, I don't think I would want to test FSD even if they somehow release it tomorrow!

This has only started happening in V9 for me too. I can’t imagine why it would jerk left toward oncoming traffic when the center line breaks for turning. AP is also clearly hugging the left lane line now. Nevertheless, auto steer is still beta, only designed for highway (technically despite working anywhere) and this is a hands on feature so it is not a big deal if using AS described and designed.

I
@Electroman i agree man. Pre V9 it did this well. And even now there are much longer yellow line breaks where it's fine. So freaking weird! And mad dangerous!

@rush6410 . I don't know. Wasn't paying attention but looking at video. It's reading blue lines well.

I'll pay attention next time. I drive the road almost daily. Weird thing it does NOT do it in opposite direction.

Take your car to service - maybe one of the cameras ,that v8 did not use, is malfunctioning.

I'm pretty sure if there was something wrong with one of the cameras it would tell me that.

Plus, others have reported it also. Doesn't make sense that we all have ONE camera that's not working.

@Raechris . Not a big deal??? Have you seen my video? I agree in MY case it's not the biggest deal bc I know exactly where it happens and NOW know to be extra vigilant on these types of roads. But think of others that have relied on this in the past and then BAM

Reactions: Matias and Bogobec
Anyone else had this since upgrade to V9?

Yep, just started to happen on a road I have driven daily with AP with no problems previously. Now it randomly wants to swerve when there is a break in the road lines on either side. It used to never do it with previous AP versions.

It doesn't do it all the time, and works just fine sometimes. Weird how random it is.

I did notice this as well when I was on 39.6 on two lane country roads when both lines break at a right of way intersection. I suspect the new neural net may be remapping these roads. When you watch the video, you can hear a clunk at the moment the car jumps to the left. That is the break engaging along with a violent wheel pull. On two lane or non divided roads, I always rest my hand on the bottom of the wheel for exactly this issue, inadvertent car movements. I was able to react to the wheel pull resulting in auto steer disengaging. So, if you are vigilant as we all should be with AP on non divided roads, you can respond appropriately before death occurs. Also keep an eye out for dual line breaks then you can preempt the scenario.

One thing that I've noticed becoming a problem lately is how the car handles the sudden widening of the lane like where an on ramp merges with the freeway... The car, instead of staying in it's "lane" detects this now as an ultra wide lane and tries to center itself which is a huge problem in and of itself...

Jeff

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Wow! I am big fan of AP and have defended almost every other situation that it did something odd, because i can understand why it did it, and so i will avoid those situations.

But this one leaves me scratching my head. I am still in pre V9, and this has never happened to me any time. In fact it drives perfectly fine even in large Xns where there are no lines at all, even on curvy ones which is amazing. I betcha my Model 3 with the last update on April will drive perfectly fine in that situation.

This kind of regression is simply mind boggling. Sorry Tesla, this is utter crap.

check your setting, maybe you had super mad max mode on and it was trying to overtake the slow poke in front of you.

in all seriousness, please share the video and google map location with Tesla. I have no seen this behavior in Model 3