TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot two new features

Discussion in 'Model S' started by smilepak, Jul 31, 2015.

1. smilepak

smilepak Member

2. steph280

steph280 Member

I thought these two features were included in autopilot package since it was announced?

3. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The steering has been promised from the beginning. I don't think parallel parking ever was - most of us just assumed that if the car was capable of self parking it'd be capable of parallel parking, too.

But I think the key part of the announcement is that Tesla possibly be releasing the firmware update "soon." (Hopefully this is a different scale of soon from the prior promises...)

4. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

They were "included with" in the sense that if you got that package, Tesla promised to eventually send you a software update that would enable them. But no customers (possibly excepting beta testers) have actually had these features enabled yet, so they are new in that sense.

5. JimmyAZ

JimmyAZ Member

I also remember mention of a 'Summon' feature, but I assume that's quite a ways out since that would require the car to drive itself without a human inside.

6. MassModel3

MassModel3 Member

They had mentioned "self parking", typically in the sense of you get out of your car and it pulls into your garage for you then closes the garage door. Or the reverse, with opening the door and coming to get you (as long as it's on private property).

But I don't think I've ever heard Tesla specifically refer to "parallel parking" as a planned feature. This may be a first for that one.

7. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

It's been on the website as part of the feature description from the beginning.

8. deonb

deonb Active Member

I think the reporter just didn't know that it was never delivered.

So he thinks Elon's tweet is about new features being added, rather than old promised features being... promised.

9. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Elon: "Almost ready to release highway autosteer and parallel autopark software update"

Translation from Martian to plain English:

"What they hell guys? The Model X design study can't go online July 31st?! I need to divert attention from this fact. I know, I'll tweet about some autodriving stuff that isn't ready yet. I'll say "almost ready to release" and there will be speculation"

You ever hear of the guy who almost got the girl? Or the one who almost played professional football? Or almost made the Olympic team?

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

"Boy who cried wolf" is what came to mind for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Stoney is correct. This below isn't new.

11. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I took it to mean that we're going to get two new features that we don't have today.

Sure they were promised, but I don't expect the author of the article to know that.

What I am curious about is if the Autoparking will be aware of how you're actually supposed to park at a supercharger. For example if someone is in 1A then you don't park in 1B unless it's the last available space. You don't because that will reduce the maximum charge current. Of course if Tesla was really smart about it they could optimize it so your car got parked in the supercharger slot based on where within the charge cycle each car is. So you could be parked where you shared with someone who was almost done, and well within the charge taper.

As it currently stands from my observations only half the people who park at superchargers are aware of the whole 1A/1B, 2A/2B pairing.

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

While this is true, the signs help. Elaborating...

At some locations (example: Mountain View, CA) the signs are "Tesla only" for A and "30 mins general parking" for B. For a crowded parking lot, the Bs will fill up with non-charging cars leaving the A slots open. The net result: all supercharging happens in A slots.

13. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Even if it did (which it didn't) why would it be tweet-worthy? It doesn't say that it's ready, it's "almost ready". Completely non-news worthy.

14. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I bet Tesla will have that figured out by the time they start doing "self valet" supercharging. I wouldn't be surprised if that shows up in a year or two. :)
    Walter

15. ddimit

ddimit Member

Elon's also driving up stock price just before the quarterly sales totals next week

16. MassModel3

MassModel3 Member

I guess I should check out the sebsite more often... I'm afraid it'll make me envious of the new models.

17. jlucero

jlucero Member

will be so cool when these features come out.

18. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

SuperCharger parking isn't parallel-parked. (At least not on the handful of SuCs I've seen), so no reason to think this is imminent.

19. yak-55

yak-55 Member

20. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

On the lane recognition issue in poor conditions: can't the car just alert you and make you take over?